General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking and Running in Tuscaloosa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-19 4:52 AM

User image

Subject: Biking and Running in Tuscaloosa
Hello,
This is my first post ever on any kind of forum. I'm also training for my first sprint in 4 months. I'm really excited!

I am from Maryland but live and work in Tuscaloosa. I've only been here under a year and don't get out much (I'm a grad student) so I don't know any fun ride/run routes around the area. I will say I've done the popular Sanders Ferry bike route a couple of times, but I'm looking for some hills, approx. 20+ miles. I run at the UA campus and sometimes on the trails at Sokol Park. If you know any other good ones, let me know!

Thanks!

2013-07-07 8:35 PM
in reply to: katbrun77

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: Biking and Running in Tuscaloosa

Hello - I do not know the Tuscaloosa area but there are some great apps that let you map out your run or bike before you go. Im thinking Map My Run - but if that is not it or you dont find one you might want to ask on the main forum 'Triathlon Talk' as it gets a lot more traffic.

Good luck on your Tri!!

2013-07-07 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Hello - I do not know the Tuscaloosa area but there are some great apps that let you map out your run or bike before you go. Im thinking Map My Run - but if that is not it or you dont find one you might want to ask on the main forum 'Triathlon Talk' as it gets a lot more traffic.

Good luck on your Tri!!

2013-07-12 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Tuscaloosa, AL
If you start out on the regular Sanders Ferry ride from Capital Park, but instead of turning left on Joe Mallisham Rd., turn right towards the toll bridge. Go over the toll bridge (just ride around the gates as there is no charge for bikes) and keep going on that road. You'll hit US82, go through the light and the road changes names to Rose Blvd. This is a good four lane road with a good wide shoulder and not that much traffic. Follow it as far as you want. There are several good hills that you get coming and going. If you go all the way out to Tuscaloosa County HS, it's about a 26 mile ride, but you can turn around whenever.

Also, have you ever run Sokol on Wednesday evenings? If you do, we might have met.

I'm doing the Wet Dog Tri in Decatur, AL on 7/20.

Edited by rcarroll42 2013-07-12 3:38 PM
2013-07-13 3:21 PM
in reply to: rcarroll42

User image

Thank you for the advice! I've been looking into going past the toll and around the Lake Lurleen area.

I don't run at Sokol, but I have biked on their trails and take my dogs there sometimes.

Good luck with your tri! I am doing my first in September--the Frantic Frog Sprint Triathlon in Huntsville.
2013-08-28 4:19 PM

User image

Tuscaloosa, AL
I've signed up for the Frantic Frog too. Maybe I'll see you there -- but not recognize you

2013-08-28 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Tuscaloosa, AL

Edited by rcarroll42 2013-08-28 4:21 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking and Running in Tuscaloosa Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Stores / Running Locations Tuscaloosa?

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 2349 Posts: 4

2011-02-04 3:08 PM LostSheep

Tuscaloosa USA Tri AG Sept 25

Started by jsselle
Views: 1771 Posts: 2

2010-09-08 8:59 AM BamaDC

USAT Age Group Championships, Tuscaloosa

Started by rcarroll42
Views: 1485 Posts: 2

2009-06-14 2:38 PM LostSheep

Azalea Trail Run

Started by sixjester
Views: 1083 Posts: 1

2008-03-26 3:52 PM sixjester

Tuscaloosa Triathletes

Started by rahua
Views: 1510 Posts: 3

2007-06-15 10:11 PM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 6, 2009
author : ChiRunning
comments : 0
In this second part, Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss several ways to correct your posture for better running.

date : June 3, 2009
author : ChiRunning
comments : 1
Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss how to improve your transition from the bike to the run.
date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A compilation from the old site.