General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pools and Bike Routes in Bryan/College Station Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-19 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: Pools and Bike Routes in Bryan/College Station
I'll be in Bryan/College Station a few weekends this summer, and am looking for ways to get in a swim and/or ride while there. My available time will likely be Saturday late afternoon/evening. This pool looks good on paper: http://www.bryantx.gov/departments/?name=parks_pools, any other ideas? On the riding, looking for relatively safe route...maybe 20-25 miles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2013-06-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Pools and Bike Routes in Bryan/College Station
FYI - if anyone ever needs a place to swim in Bryan/College Station, the above pool was great....probably 10 lap lanes, and lifeguards even shooed kiddos out of them when needed. Separate areas for the kids to play, so something for everyone.
2013-07-23 11:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

Safe route on the bike, kind of tough as you will be sharing with cars no matter what, esp on a Sat afternoon. I know my 'go to' ride is parking at Lick Creek park and then taking Rock Praire towards Peach Creek to Hwy 6. From that point you can make a loop along the feeder road (wide shoulder) to William D Fitch (which has bike lanes) to Rock Praire back to the Park. Or at Hwy 6 go under the overpass and turn left on the feeder roads and go awhile and turn around at one of the under passes to get back to Peach Creek. The feeder roads are not that busy south of town and have good shoulders, just chipseal. You will get the rolling hill practice. One last long route (though Sun morning are best for this route) is to go under Hwy 6 and just keep riding until you get to Hwy 105 and back (about 45 miles) you will get some hills and then you will hit flat, but most likely it will be windy. This road is a bit more travelled unless you go Sunday mornings and there really isn't much shoulder at all.
If you want to PM me, I can give you a couple more routes. There are some routes posted online, I would just have to do some searching to find them.
If you want OWS practice, Lake Bryan is always an option, it is $5 to get in and there is a 'beach' area were it is sort of shallow and blocked off from boats.

Edited by Philothea0806 2013-07-23 11:21 AM
2013-07-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: Philothea0806

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thank you! I've been twice now, and so far just swimming and running a little. I went to the A&M pool last weekend, which was super nice. The Lake Bryan beach sounds interesting, so I may check that out. Had no idea there was a Lake Bryan! Will probably wait until it cools off a bit to take my bike, but nice to know some decent routes. I have to say I'm impressed with the system of connected park paths for running. The city of College Station has done a great job on that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pools and Bike Routes in Bryan/College Station Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bryan College Station Brazos Valley Triathletes

Started by jdiis
Views: 1545 Posts: 1

2011-02-15 10:23 AM jdiis

OWS in the College Station area?

Started by Fat2FitAggie
Views: 1417 Posts: 5

2010-07-30 1:41 PM Fat2FitAggie

College Station Training Partners

Started by Fat2FitAggie
Views: 1664 Posts: 7

2010-07-12 9:18 AM SLOWTEX

College Station Bike Routes

Started by bskyllin
Views: 2514 Posts: 2

2010-06-11 11:13 AM bobbyj

Pools in Bryan College Station

Started by bgallier
Views: 1151 Posts: 6

2008-06-08 1:26 AM fendermh1027
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.
date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Out of this frustration, the first annual Denver Community College Triathlon was born. It was open to all employees of the campus, with a 30 dollar entrance fee for the campus scholarship fund.