Sun Multisport Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 30m 52s
Overall Rank = 134/559
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/43
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, had a PB&J. Slept for another hour, and woke up for good at 4am. Ate a bowl of applesauce, a cliff bar and my usual daily vitamins in addition to plenty of water and powerade.
Event warmup:

I must have been running behind this year as they moved everyone from the swim exit before I was able to get in for some warm-up. So, my only warm-up consisted of some stretching and getting myself into my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 41m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did better than last year by 2:25 so it's tough to complain, but I felt there's plenty of room for improvement here. My sighting was very poor. When I got to the 1st turn buoy, I was way to the right of it. I'm assuming I added 100-200 yards just to get back to the buoy. I started in one of the later swim waves, and felt like there was not a lot of congestion. However, that could have been due to my poor sighting. My hamstrings felt tight for much of the swim, and cramped up almost immediately upon trying to stand up.
What would you do differently?:

My training was mostly 2 days a week at Masters Class. I needed to get more open water swims in. I had just 2 under my belt this season before this race. Also, I need to make sure to make the time for from pre-race swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

My wet suit came off with relative ease. What really slowed me down here was my very tight hamstrings. I battled the cramping especially when getting my shoes on. Once I got my shoes on, things went much easier. I grabbed a few sport beans, a sip of powerade and off I went.

Not cramp up ;)
Bike
  • 2h 46m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good once I got on the bike. I rode this course last year and practiced it a couple times this year so I knew what to expect. For some reason, the number 58 stuck in my head towards the end, and I thought I was going slower than I actually was. This is my first triathlon ever where my overall bike split was ranked higher than my run split. I went through about a bottle and 3/4 on the bike and had a nearly a full bag of sport beans. This ride was a big improvement from last year (11:41), but it may have cost me on the run.

Remember that a half is 56 miles and not go as hard on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

I grabbed another pack of sport beans, ate a couple and grabbed a sip of the powerade I had left from the bike ride. Unlike last year, I didn't have to hit the porta-potty, I remembered my race belt with my number, and everything went pretty smooth.

Not much differently ... except maybe switch to non-caffeinated sport beans.
Run
  • 1h 56m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the only damper on the day, as I succumbed to a cramp/side-stitch at mile 7. The run was the only leg I didn't improve on from last year as I was 1:45 off of last years' time. My run plan to grab something at every odd mile water stop was going well until then, and my pacing was good. After the cramp, the wheels fell off and it was a struggle to finish. While it's hard to attribute everything to the cramping since my quads felt spent at the last couple miles either due to pushing it too hard on the bike or a lack of proper training.

I was using caffeinated sport beans on all my long training runs, but all the caffeine from both the bike and the run may have dehydrated me for the run. I also didn't get enough longer bricks in during my training.
Post race
Warm down:

I put the cold towel they give you at the finish right under my hat, and the cold water hit the spot. Then, I cooled down under shade of the BSTT tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My first major side stitch in over a year. I haven't had to walk in a race in a long time. Otherwise, improving my sighting is the only other area I can think of for easy improvement. Overall, it was a nice race for me and an improvement of 16:44 over last year.

Event comments:

There are a ton of great volunteers at this race, and Sun Multisport does a great job with the organization. My only criticism was that the mile 5 water stop wasn't ready for me. I called out for water ahead of time, got to the table, and all the volunteers were just staring at empty cups. I wasn't sure how long things would take, So, I just continued on and hit the mile 6 stop instead. It was just a small damper on an otherwise great event.

Last updated: 2013-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/43
Overall: 254/559
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Long Pond in East Freetown
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:31 | 56 miles | 20.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/43
Overall: 142/559
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A mostly flat double-loop course through East Freetown, Lakeville, Middleborough and Rochester.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:56:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/43
Overall: 150/559
Performance: Below average
Course: A flat first couple miles followed up by what seems to be a never ending set of rolling hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-19 12:34 PM

Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2013-06-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4781198

South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Nice report! Ha!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 3869 Posts: 19

2011-07-07 11:54 AM Dream Chaser

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 1916 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 7:45 PM Rudedog55

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2938 Posts: 14

2012-05-01 1:41 PM gcoller

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2730 Posts: 15

2011-06-20 6:17 PM trix

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Joe84
Views: 1623 Posts: 2

2011-06-19 12:48 PM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 16, 2010
author : Al1978
comments : 4
From the couch to a half Ironman the hard way.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.