Team Magic, Inc.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Let's start with the day prior to the race and just state that I didn't do anything that I should have for a guy who wanted to PR this race and one who wanted to cut 7 minutes off an ealier OLY time just two months ago. But it was my birthday (#38) and my good friend wanted to take me for a day out on the lake. How could I say no??? No better way for a good little sailor to spend his birthday than on the water, right? So about 4-5 hours on the lake (and sun) in the boat and about 10 minutes doing a warmup open water swim for the next day's race. Got back from the lake, got cleaned up then went to meet Renee (rrizzo) and the two headed-Chris (Cbost & Trigods) at packet pickup. Short meet and greet with them and then they were off to drive the bike course which I had done earlier in the day. Decided to meet them later at the Big River Brewery and Grille. My friend Dale and I went on over and had a beer while we waited on them to return. It was my birthday...I had a beer (actually two)....good thing I was racing the next day or I would have had quite a few more. Had a great dinner with the crew, then we were off to get some good rest before the race.

Got up at 0415 and got my shower, then breakfast included a cup of coffee and two PB & Honey sandwiches. Got to the race start about 0600 and talked with Chris, Chris & Renee before jumping on the bus to ride up river to the race start. Met Kristi (KSMITH) and had a short chat with her while waiting for the race to start .
Event warmup:

None. Sat around at the race start chatting with the BT crew. Had one Gu 10 minutes before the race started.
Swim
  • 20m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Fast friggin swim. Was blowing by people all the way down, couldn't find anyone to draft off of until about the last 500 yds. I probably could have past him too, but decided not to push the pace, but instead to just settle in behind him and let him pull me the last little distance to save some energy.

If I counted right, I think I was about 27th out of 116 in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing...well, maybe push the pace a bit more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Had race volunteers that would yank you out of the water and up onto the peir where the swim finished, then you had about 20-25 stairs to climb to get up to the street level where the transition area was. Took my time on the stairs trying to keep the HR under control. Transition went well and I was off on the bike shortly there after.

Speed up...I am notorioulsy slow and relaxed on transitions...but I kinda like it that way...lets me clear the mind and get set for the next leg.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Had problems with my gearing and was not able to use 2-3 gears that I would desperately need for the hills. Had to mash the hills, so not much time to save the legs. The course was actually a fun ride as it had plenty of flat areas but also some hills to change the pace. Had one very scary moment as I was cruising down the back side on the dam when a 18-wheeler passes me on the lane next two me and that added to the already strong crosswind, blew a road construction barrel directly into my path. I had no other choice but to make a sharp left cut towards the barrel in hope that it would continue going to the right by the time I got there...luckily it did and I missed it barely...not to mention that I was lucky no one was coming behind me as I would have easily taken both of us out of the race with a serious crash, but it was my only reflex or option to do to avoid the barrel. Let's just say the HR spiked a bit right there! Made my second loop around the Dam fighting the now crowded bike path with people on their first lap, then it was off to the finish...and with the enjoyment of a strong tailwind on the last 4-5 mile stretch.

Check my bike before the race and get the gears fixed before starting the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Don't know what took so long here...just a normal trasition...not much to report.

???
Run
  • 1h 01m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good overall run for me and probably a top 10K split for me in a few years including any standalone 10Ks. Started out pretty quick, but walked the hills and stairs on the first mile, then settled into a good comfortable pace after that. I was surprised to see 9:13/9:03 for the 2nd and 3rd laps. It was friggin HOT out there. Took a Gu and drank two cups of water after the turn around and that slowed me down to a 10:07 (which is a normally a good pace for me!). My 5th mile was a 9:38, who the hell did I steal these legs from??? This is not Lane. Then I was just HOT on the last mile. Walked after the 5th mile aid station to get some water in me, dumped a cup of water over my head, and then I walked up the last two hills and down the last set of stairs, then took off for the finish. other than the heat, I actually felt real good at the finish! Turned the corner at the finish to hear the announcer state "Here comes runner 221, Lane Cummins, who is celebrating his birthday today!!" Kinda cool, even if the birthday was the day before. Crossed the line, grabbed an ice towel, bottle of water, cup of coke, and a free beer, then walked out to find Chris (Trigods) and the beer cooler!!! What a friend!

Run the stairs and hills and get that 10K PR. (I will have to check my prior race results...this may have been a PR on any of my standa lone 10Ks...now that is kinda sad!)
Post race
Warm down:

Waited around the finish line with my friend Dale, Trigods, and drank a couple of beers waiting on Renee and Chris to finish. After we had everyone in, we drank a few beers together, then had some of the birthday cake that Renee made for me. Thank you Renee!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The friggin HEAT.

Event comments:

Great race in a beautiful location. I will do this rae again even with the weird race course that includes numerous sets of stairs and a few challenging hills.

Last updated: 2005-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course was a 1500m down current swim in the Tennessee River. Time trial start at 5 sec intervals.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:30 | 24.85 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Performance: Average
avg HR: 153 max HR: 170
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Both a hilly but flat course. The start takes you up a hill to the highway to get away from the water's edge, then is pretty flat for the next 5 miles, then you take an over pass loop (actually do this part twice) that takes you around to another highway and a climb up and over the Chickamauga Dam and the Tennessee River, then after the second loop you go back the 5 mile flat section until you get to the downhill finish.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:28 | 06.21 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
1. 10:01 2. 9:13 3. 9:03 4. 10:07 5. 9:38 6.2 14:06 (11:45 pace)
Course: A very hilly (in parts) run with numerous times up and down stairs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront

2006-07-17 3:05 PM
in reply to: #485177

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront
Lane great job and as always a pleasure to get to race with you.And I can't begin to Thank you enough for that beer man now thats a Master Card Commercial Waiting to happen!!
2006-07-17 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great job, i need you to teach me how to swim so fast.
2006-07-17 3:18 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Yes Lane another great race and beer after. I think that is becoming our theme...lol

It was fun to see you out of the course, wish we could have done our usual run in together.

2006-07-17 3:42 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Woohoo!!! Amazing times, Lane!! Youo killed the swim because you have been a swimming maniac lately!! All that computrainer time paid off too. Just AWESOME!!
2006-07-17 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

great job! good to meet you and see you on the course and of course at the finish with the beer!!

see you in florida for the big dance.

2006-07-17 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on a PR Lane!! What a great birthday present!!   You are the man!!
2006-07-17 7:04 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Awesome race Lane!  I can't believe those stairs ... how odd!  And, even with that, you still kicked arse!

Edited by theattorney 2006-07-17 7:04 PM
2006-07-17 7:34 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
That swim time was friggin off the hook, sailor.  Nice race in the smoking heat!!!
2006-07-18 1:26 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Awesome job kiddo - especially with the stairs!  What a birthday weekend!! 
2006-07-18 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Way to go Lane! Great race there bro!  You smoked that swim.  Holy crap - you destroyed that swim.  I hear ya!

who the hell did I steal these legs from???

LOL!  Great run.  Gratz on the PR. 

2006-07-18 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Thanks for all the notes!

Truth be told, the swim was down current..that is why my swim split was so fast.  I did good and had one of the faster splits of the day out there, but I am no where near 1:17s.  This was all due to the current.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Rss Feed