2013-06-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by RussTKD

Originally posted by Rogillio A very good friend of mine. Just becuase your don't know it, does not make it crap.

It's crap and you know it.

Wow, so now you know what I know! That's remarkable! Tell me, do I know how to solve partial differential equations and perform continuity, isolation and high-pot tests?

The picture in the ad is pretty good. 17 years ago I was a smoker. It kept me thin. :-) You can argue that all you want but I lived it.

The obesity thread is now null and void. Obesity has now been cured.....just smoke!

2013-06-20 1:43 PM

User image

Originally posted by RogillioWow, so now you know what I know! That's remarkable! Tell me, do I know how to solve partial differential equations and perform continuity, isolation and high-pot tests? The picture in the ad is pretty good. 17 years ago I was a smoker. It kept me thin. :-) You can argue that all you want but I lived it.

17 years ago I was also a smoker, and thin.  But I don't think one had to do with the other.

I'm sure you know insurance plays on statistics and averages.  Do you honestly believe there are a statistically significant number of smokers who only smoke 2-3 cigarettes per day as a means of staying thin, or are you using your one red herring example to try to twist your opinion of the subject to match your personal ideology?

2013-06-20 2:24 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Yes, we have the carrot aproach for obesity too.

The difference is that you can live without smoking. You can't live without food. We have discussed this extensively on another thread here.

I have a modest proposal related to health care and to smoking:

How about we continue to allow smoking in America but you would need a license to smoke. Anyone who wants to purchase any smoking-related materials would have to present their smoking license. No smoking license, no cigarettes, tobacco, cigars, etc. Providing smoking products to someone without a smoking license would have an onerous penalty associated with it, like 10 years in jail....

Here is where it gets exciting...... In order to obtain your smoking license you would need to sign a contract that would waive your right to health care for smoking-related illness. When people come in to the ER or a hospital or a doctor's office, their name would be checked against the national smoking license registry. If you are on it, then I am sorry but we can give you palliative or comfort care but you aren't getting the million dollar work up for cardiac or pulmonary or vascular or any other disease. You surely aren't getting coronary bypass surgery or a lung resection or even surgery for your bladder tumor. We will absolutely treat your discomfort.

This will cut billions out of our national health care bill. It will also probably half the need for physicians in America. We have solved two problems. We have cut our national health bill dramatically and we have improved access to health care for people not on the smoking license list. Win-win.

I am actually a very forgiving guy. You should be able to get your name off of the list. Say, you give up your smoking license and then in 3.5 years we will allow you to become eligible for health care again. (Although much of the damage from smoking is lifelong and irreversible...)

I know, I know. It can't happen. And then there is the slippery slope...... We would need the alcohol license and the inappropriate height to weight ratio list and on and on. But, you have to start somewhere.

It is just a little thinking outside of the box. And lets face it, tobacco should be flat-out illegal. It has no redeeming qualities and has been proven to kill its users. A company trying to introduce tobacco as a 'new product' today would be laughed out of the FDAs offices. If we can outlaw lead paint and asbestos insulation, tobacco should be a no-brainer. Oh wait, I forgot about the tobacco lobbyists....
2013-06-20 2:30 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by bradleyd3

Originally posted by Rogillio A very good friend of mine. Just becuase your don't know it, does not make it crap.

Wow, so now you know what I know! That's remarkable! Tell me, do I know how to solve partial differential equations and perform continuity, isolation and high-pot tests? The picture in the ad is pretty good. 17 years ago I was a smoker. It kept me thin. :-) You can argue that all you want but I lived it.
The obesity thread is now null and void. Obesity has now been cured.....just smoke!

The cure for my obesity disease was less beer drinky and more worky outy...  Plus a WHOLE LOT of caffein!

2013-06-20 3:13 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Kido

Wow, so now you know what I know! That's remarkable! Tell me, do I know how to solve partial differential equations and perform continuity, isolation and high-pot tests? The picture in the ad is pretty good. 17 years ago I was a smoker. It kept me thin. :-) You can argue that all you want but I lived it.

The cure for my obesity disease was less beer drinky and more worky outy...  Plus a WHOLE LOT of caffein!

Too much caffein is bad for you too. I think the obesity/smoking/alcoholism are all related. Some people just tend to gravitate towards excess. I am admit my OCD. When I smoked, I was a (nearly) 2 pack a day smoker. When I quit, I fed my obsessive personality. I started running to get rid of a few pounds and before I knew it I was doing marathons.

Bottom line is, I think charging smokers more for health insurance unfairly targets a demographic that can ill afford it.
2013-06-20 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Too much caffein is bad for you too. I think the obesity/smoking/alcoholism are all related. Some people just tend to gravitate towards excess. I am admit my OCD. When I smoked, I was a (nearly) 2 pack a day smoker. When I quit, I fed my obsessive personality. I started running to get rid of a few pounds and before I knew it I was doing marathons. Bottom line is, I think charging smokers more for health insurance unfairly targets a demographic that can ill afford it.

A demographic that can ill afford it???? What are cigs going for these days??? 5-6 bucks a pack?? At a 2 pack a day habit, I'd say that they can easily afford it if they are spending $10 a day on their death inducing habit.

2013-06-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Elite
All I want to know is if funds are pooled, and charging more for high risk is becoming common, then why am I not paying less?
2013-06-20 4:29 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by powerman

All I want to know is if funds are pooled, and charging more for high risk is becoming common, then why am I not paying less?

ACA. (Obamacare)
2013-06-20 4:34 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman All I want to know is if funds are pooled, and charging more for high risk is becoming common, then why am I not paying less?
ACA. (Obamacare)

No seriously... I want a refund. Smile

2013-06-20 4:35 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Sous

Too much caffein is bad for you too. I think the obesity/smoking/alcoholism are all related. Some people just tend to gravitate towards excess. I am admit my OCD. When I smoked, I was a (nearly) 2 pack a day smoker. When I quit, I fed my obsessive personality. I started running to get rid of a few pounds and before I knew it I was doing marathons. Bottom line is, I think charging smokers more for health insurance unfairly targets a demographic that can ill afford it.

A demographic that can ill afford it???? What are cigs going for these days??? 5-6 bucks a pack?? At a 2 pack a day habit, I'd say that they can easily afford it if they are spending $10 a day on their death inducing habit.

Pretty heartless. Guess you've never been poor. So they have $600 or $1200 a year less if husband and wife smoke. Yeah, they can afford that.....kids don't need to eat everyday anyway since they are obese. What a great plan! We will get them healthy so they can walk to work when their pos car breaks down and they can't afford to fix it.
2013-06-20 4:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio Pretty heartless. Guess you've never been poor. So they have $600 or $1200 a year less if husband and wife smoke. Yeah, they can afford that.....kids don't need to eat everyday anyway since they are obese. What a great plan! We will get them healthy so they can walk to work when their pos car breaks down and they can't afford to fix it.

Pay $500 a year extra to have insurance and keep smoking a pack a day, or quit, save $1800 from not buying smokes, and not pay the extra premium.

Hmm... tough decision.

2013-06-20 5:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio Pretty heartless. Guess you've never been poor. So they have $600 or $1200 a year less if husband and wife smoke. Yeah, they can afford that.....kids don't need to eat everyday anyway since they are obese. What a great plan! We will get them healthy so they can walk to work when their pos car breaks down and they can't afford to fix it.

Pay $500 a year extra to have insurance and keep smoking a pack a day, or quit, save $1800 from not buying smokes, and not pay the extra premium.

Hmm... tough decision.

Your empathy is appalling. If addiction was about money, people would have quit long ago. Unbelievable.

Households with annual incomes exceeding $150,000 had a smoking rate under 8 percent, compared with a nearly 20% rate among those with annual incomes less than $20,000.. The smoking rate among college graduates in California is 6 percent. Those without degrees: 12 to 15%

Yeah, let's stick it to the poor, uneducated folk. That'll break em! One way or another.

Edited by Rogillio 2013-06-20 5:19 PM
2013-06-20 5:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by RogillioYour empathy is appalling. If addiction was about money, people would have quit long ago. Unbelievable.

My kid has one grandparent and it's directly attributable to smoking.  Sorry I'm not empathetic about losing my parents at 62 and 64, and my wife losing her Dad at 61.

2013-06-20 5:16 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by wannabefaster
The difference is that you can live without smoking. You can't live without food. We have discussed this extensively on another thread here. I have a modest proposal related to health care and to smoking: How about we continue to allow smoking in America but you would need a license to smoke. Anyone who wants to purchase any smoking-related materials would have to present their smoking license. No smoking license, no cigarettes, tobacco, cigars, etc. Providing smoking products to someone without a smoking license would have an onerous penalty associated with it, like 10 years in jail.... Here is where it gets exciting...... In order to obtain your smoking license you would need to sign a contract that would waive your right to health care for smoking-related illness. When people come in to the ER or a hospital or a doctor's office, their name would be checked against the national smoking license registry. If you are on it, then I am sorry but we can give you palliative or comfort care but you aren't getting the million dollar work up for cardiac or pulmonary or vascular or any other disease. You surely aren't getting coronary bypass surgery or a lung resection or even surgery for your bladder tumor. We will absolutely treat your discomfort. This will cut billions out of our national health care bill. It will also probably half the need for physicians in America. We have solved two problems. We have cut our national health bill dramatically and we have improved access to health care for people not on the smoking license list. Win-win. I am actually a very forgiving guy. You should be able to get your name off of the list. Say, you give up your smoking license and then in 3.5 years we will allow you to become eligible for health care again. (Although much of the damage from smoking is lifelong and irreversible...) I know, I know. It can't happen. And then there is the slippery slope...... We would need the alcohol license and the inappropriate height to weight ratio list and on and on. But, you have to start somewhere. It is just a little thinking outside of the box. And lets face it, tobacco should be flat-out illegal. It has no redeeming qualities and has been proven to kill its users. A company trying to introduce tobacco as a 'new product' today would be laughed out of the FDAs offices. If we can outlaw lead paint and asbestos insulation, tobacco should be a no-brainer. Oh wait, I forgot about the tobacco lobbyists....

You take that back right now!!!

Nothing like a nice bowl of pipe tobacco once in a blue moon. And yes, I am a non-smoker.

2013-06-20 5:25 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by RogillioYour empathy is appalling. If addiction was about money, people would have quit long ago. Unbelievable.

My kid has one grandparent and it's directly attributable to smoking.  Sorry I'm not empathetic about losing my parents at 62 and 64, and my wife losing her Dad at 61.

So you'd rather they died broke? Money is NOT gonna make most people quit.
2013-06-20 5:31 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Champion
Alabama

You might want to look up empathy.

2013-06-20 7:15 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
Beijing

The difference is that you can live without smoking. You can't live without food. We have discussed this extensively on another thread here. I have a modest proposal related to health care and to smoking:

OMG!  I couldn't even read farther.  He said "we should eat the smokers!" didn't he?!?!

Oh the Humanity!

2013-06-20 7:32 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by moondawg14

The difference is that you can live without smoking. You can't live without food. We have discussed this extensively on another thread here. I have a modest proposal related to health care and to smoking:

OMG!  I couldn't even read farther.  He said "we should eat the smokers!" didn't he?!?!

Oh the Humanity!

far too clever of a joke for this crowd.

2013-06-20 7:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by RogillioYou might want to look up empathy.
I know what empathy means. I was negotiating a bike deal via Craigslist. I should have said I'm not sympathetic about someone who is poor and still chooses to smoke. I'm fairly certain they're not empathetic regarding my feelings about smoking.
2013-06-20 11:43 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by RogillioToo much caffein is bad for you too. I think the obesity/smoking/alcoholism are all related. Some people just tend to gravitate towards excess. I am admit my OCD. When I smoked, I was a (nearly) 2 pack a day smoker. When I quit, I fed my obsessive personality. I started running to get rid of a few pounds and before I knew it I was doing marathons. Bottom line is, I think charging smokers more for health insurance unfairly targets a demographic that can ill afford it.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, insurance rates shouldn't be raised for those that have habits that are significantly higher health risks because it impacts those more who are of lower income?Who pays for the medical expenses of those who partake in these high risk habits? I suppose it gets spread out among everyone, even those who don't smoke. I guess I'll have my rates go up to pay for their bad health habits. Seems a tad unfair I will have to pay for someone's unhealthy lifestyle. Well, if i have to pay for it, I sure hope they love those cigarettes.
2013-06-21 5:24 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by RogillioToo much caffein is bad for you too. I think the obesity/smoking/alcoholism are all related. Some people just tend to gravitate towards excess. I am admit my OCD. When I smoked, I was a (nearly) 2 pack a day smoker. When I quit, I fed my obsessive personality. I started running to get rid of a few pounds and before I knew it I was doing marathons. Bottom line is, I think charging smokers more for health insurance unfairly targets a demographic that can ill afford it.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, insurance rates shouldn't be raised for those that have habits that are significantly higher health risks because it impacts those more who are of lower income?Who pays for the medical expenses of those who partake in these high risk habits? I suppose it gets spread out among everyone, even those who don't smoke. I guess I'll have my rates go up to pay for their bad health habits. Seems a tad unfair I will have to pay for someone's unhealthy lifestyle. Well, if i have to pay for it, I sure hope they love those cigarettes.

I think they do love the cigarettes...so much so they can't imagine life without them. Such is the nature of addiction for some of us. Others won't understand because they never wanted a cigarette so bad they'd pay $1000 for just one drag. I've been there!

2013-06-21 9:05 AM
in reply to: mehaner

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by moondawg14

Oh the Humanity!

far too clever of a joke for this crowd.

I got it. Well, well done.

...you should change your nickname to "Swifty." Apropos and it even sounds tri-related, too!
2013-06-22 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

The cost can easily be offset by quitting.  Actually you would save money!  Same insurance premium + less of a cost of smoking.

There is help out there if you want it, there should be more it is difficult to quit, and many people including myself needed help.

I was lucky to have great insurance, they were very supportive in assisting me to quit.  Free Chantix prescription.  I even got a $50 visa card this year for being tobacco free (blood cotinine test)

I was poor when I smoked, I was also poor because I smoked.

Not only would I buy a pack a day for $7.23 I would get 2 drinks for $2.22

That's $9.45 a day, or a staggering $3449.25 a year.  If a parent cant afford to feed their kids and has this expense (and I'm sure there are plenty out there), they are irresponsible parents.  I think this is a discussion for another thread though.

And to the few people who would use cigarettes for weight control, to them I say, to bad.  It has to be such a small percentage that we can't or should not cater to them. 

Or how about I throw some jet fuel on the fire and ask;

"What if we made tobacco illegal"?

I don't think we should, but would not be sad to see it made that way either.

Edited by Justin86 2013-06-22 7:57 PM
2013-06-22 11:42 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Justin86

Absolutely. It's worked wonders for weed, heroin, and alcohol.

2013-06-22 11:59 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by powerman
Originally posted by Justin86

Absolutely. It's worked wonders for weed, heroin, and alcohol.

Great point there, didn't even think of that when I posted.  I still wouldn't be sad to see it be illegal, but you're right it wouldn't work at all.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New sidebox smoker

Started by gair70.3
Views: 1281 Posts: 10

2006-11-04 1:47 PM gair70.3

Another reason I hate smokers.... Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by oipolloi
Views: 4033 Posts: 106

2006-10-27 1:53 PM autumn

BBQ Smoker/Keg

Started by parrj
Views: 2654 Posts: 11

2006-08-02 9:42 AM The Mac

Ex-smokers are the worst.

Started by rice
Views: 2326 Posts: 13

2005-09-08 8:16 PM max

Would you date a smoker?

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 1446 Posts: 23

2005-08-23 1:46 PM phoenixazul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
After finishing a sprint triathlon I ate a large meal and about 8 hours later I became very ill with chills, fever and diarrhea. I attributed it to food poisoning but it happened again after a brick.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Are organic products worth the extra cost? In terms of nutrition, some research suggests organic foods may have slightly more minerals and antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts.

date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.