User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers
Originally posted by Justin86
Originally posted by powerman

Or how about I throw some jet fuel on the fire and ask;

"What if we made tobacco illegal"?

I don't think we should, but would not be sad to see it made that way either.

Absolutely. It's worked wonders for weed, heroin, and alcohol.

Great point there, didn't even think of that when I posted.  I still wouldn't be sad to see it be illegal, but you're right it wouldn't work at all.

Well, they say just taxing them out of existence works fine... until the black market is a better choice. People can get what ever they want. As far as I'm concerned, all drugs should be legal.

As far as smoking, obviously it is a "risky behavior". But there are plenty of others... how about we just not treat STDs anymore... you obviously got it engaging in sex without protection... risky behavior. How about we all have to fill out paper work saying all the behaviors we engage in that somebody thinks is risky?

That is really what we need... Big Mother telling us what we can and can't do.

2013-06-23 12:16 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Or how about I throw some jet fuel on the fire and ask;

"What if we made tobacco illegal"?

I don't think we should, but would not be sad to see it made that way either.

Absolutely. It's worked wonders for weed, heroin, and alcohol.

Great point there, didn't even think of that when I posted.  I still wouldn't be sad to see it be illegal, but you're right it wouldn't work at all.

Well, they say just taxing them out of existence works fine... until the black market is a better choice. People can get what ever they want. As far as I'm concerned, all drugs should be legal.

As far as smoking, obviously it is a "risky behavior". But there are plenty of others... how about we just not treat STDs anymore... you obviously got it engaging in sex without protection... risky behavior. How about we all have to fill out paper work saying all the behaviors we engage in that somebody thinks is risky?

That is really what we need... Big Mother telling us what we can and can't do.

Some more good points there.  I would agree with you that all drugs should be legal.  I was just feeling a little feisty earlier and wanted to see what people though about making tobacco illegal.  People will get what they want to get no matter the cost or punishment if they are caught.

Taxing it out of existence does not work at all either.  I do think there should be a sin tax on it, but keeping on increasing it with the goal of getting people to quit won't do anything.  When I started smoking 10 years ago I could get a pack of cigarettes for $3, now they are ~$8 (don't know exactly), most of that is from taxes. 

2013-06-23 12:26 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Elite

Taxing it out of existence does not work at all either.  I do think there should be a sin tax on it, but keeping on increasing it with the goal of getting people to quit won't do anything.  When I started smoking 10 years ago I could get a pack of cigarettes for $3, now they are ~$8 (don't know exactly), most of that is from taxes. 

The other thing I do not believe in is sin taxes. But all those taxes tacked on to smoking was supposed to be for... wait for it... the harm smoking does. Sounds like double dipping to me.

2013-06-25 6:28 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Where does it stop though.

Should triathletes pay more insurance because they have a higher risk of getting an injury like a complicated leg break or degenerate knee injury?

2013-06-25 6:31 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Dan-L Where does it stop though. Should triathletes pay more insurance because they have a higher risk of getting an injury like a complicated leg break or degenerate knee injury?

Absolutely.

But then they also get a credit for the lower heart disease rates, obesity rates, and a multitude of other POSITIVE health benefits for a net reduction in rates.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Higher Insurance Cost for Smokers Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New sidebox smoker

Started by gair70.3
Views: 1281 Posts: 10

2006-11-04 1:47 PM gair70.3

Another reason I hate smokers.... Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by oipolloi
Views: 4034 Posts: 106

2006-10-27 1:53 PM autumn

BBQ Smoker/Keg

Started by parrj
Views: 2654 Posts: 11

2006-08-02 9:42 AM The Mac

Ex-smokers are the worst.

Started by rice
Views: 2326 Posts: 13

2005-09-08 8:16 PM max

Would you date a smoker?

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 1446 Posts: 23

2005-08-23 1:46 PM phoenixazul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
After finishing a sprint triathlon I ate a large meal and about 8 hours later I became very ill with chills, fever and diarrhea. I attributed it to food poisoning but it happened again after a brick.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Are organic products worth the extra cost? In terms of nutrition, some research suggests organic foods may have slightly more minerals and antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts.

date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.