General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Schuykill River Trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-20 3:06 PM

User image

Subject: Schuykill River Trail
Anyone have any experience on the SRT in Conshohocken around 5 - 5:30 on the weekdays. I only ride the trail on the weekends so I am curious what it is like during rush hour or shortly after. It would seem crossing over the roads in Conshohocken could be a little dicey and around the Norristown train station very crowded?

2013-06-22 1:32 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

Subject: RE: Schuykill River Trail
Interested in this too, need to find some longer rides since i'm road-adverse. I road the 202 Parkway Trail yesterday, hilly but very nice, and very quiet.
2013-06-22 9:50 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

I asked someone today over there who said he rides it daily and in his opinion its not horrible weekdays at rush hour. SRT is nice if you're road adverse. Gets crowded on weekends unless you get there early, 6ish. I posted this on a cycling forum also and did t get an answer there so unfortunately I don't think they'll be much feedback here either. I'm going to give it a shot next week.
Where's the 202 trail?
2013-06-24 10:33 AM

Originally posted by MLPFS

I asked someone today over there who said he rides it daily and in his opinion its not horrible weekdays at rush hour. SRT is nice if you're road adverse. Gets crowded on weekends unless you get there early, 6ish. I posted this on a cycling forum also and did t get an answer there so unfortunately I don't think they'll be much feedback here either. I'm going to give it a shot next week.
Where's the 202 trail?

There is parking in Doylestown, right where 611 and 202 cross. 17.4Mi according to my GPS, and 1000ft of elevation change, including a few long grinders near the 309 overpass.

http://www.traillink.com/trail/202-parkway-trail.aspx?utm_expid=528...
2013-06-28 9:04 AM

New user

The SRT is not as bad M-F during rush hour as it is Sat - Sun. Conshohocken to Valley Forge you can expect some joggers and casual walking commuters. You will also run into pedestrian and car congestion in Manyunck.

You can run into minor traffic in Conshohocken and if your timing is bad, the Norristown regional line has 4 - 5 stops that if you get there while the train is unloading there can be congestion but that clears pretty quick after train leaves.
2013-08-03 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I have ridden both lots of times.

IMHO, the SRT is so flat that it really doesn't provide a great training ground for riding in our area. Think about it, where is there a 10 mile flat road?

The 202 bypass trail is much more realistic for our area and it gets far less traffic. Unfortunately it is less than 20 miles long round trip but it has close to 1000 feet of climb. There are parking points all along the way. The trail starts at Rt 202 and Rt. 63 and ends at Rt 611. There is no parking area at 202 & 63 but there is a WAWA on the corner with a huge lot out back you can park in. There is also a bike lane on both sides of the parkway so you could do the road and then the trail for a little diversity.

If you like to trail run there is a green ribbon trail a couple miles south on 202 which is really nice.

http://www.us202-700.com/trails.aspx

2013-08-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: craig.aldinger

User image

Pro
Originally posted by craig.aldinger

The SRT is not as bad M-F during rush hour as it is Sat - Sun. Conshohocken to Valley Forge you can expect some joggers and casual walking commuters. You will also run into pedestrian and car congestion in Manyunck.

You can run into minor traffic in Conshohocken and if your timing is bad, the Norristown regional line has 4 - 5 stops that if you get there while the train is unloading there can be congestion but that clears pretty quick after train leaves.

I was stuck for time Friday and decided to head out on the SRT. I met a random cyclist and we took turns drafting off each other from Norristown to Manayunk. No idea who he was but man we flew! Path was pretty empty.
2013-08-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: sgillen

User image

That's a good point and I often think about that since a majority of my rides are on pretty flat roads. Then again most of my races are in South Jersey and the bike courses are pretty flat. I have a lot of great hills that are a mile or so from home that I don't mind riding because they are off the beaten path so to speak. The 202 path, is that the new bypass that just opened? I have debated heading up there so thanks for the recommendation.

I have been riding the SRT once or twice a week and I do have another question on that....
I'm fairly new to cycling, about 4 years into it. I see a lot of people riding side by side who will take up a big chunk of the path. On more than one occasion I felt like I was going to head off the pavement from being pushed over. I normally train alone but when I do have some company and if we aren't drafting one of us will generally drop back as someone approaches. And the group rides on there are insane with all the room they take. I had a group of about 20 coming at me taking up the entire path as one rider was trying to get to the front of the pack. Not falling off to the back but trying to sprint up so it took some time and looked pretty close as we passed. I don't mind coming off the aero's as people are approaching riding two across but it seems like a lot take up way more road then need be.
So my question is, shouldn’t you drop off a bit and give someone coming the other way their fair space? I'm not about to start saying anything to other riders but a few of these close calls have gotten the heart rate up as it was close. Just curious if I should be annoyed or anxious.
2013-08-05 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by MLPFS

That's a good point and I often think about that since a majority of my rides are on pretty flat roads. Then again most of my races are in South Jersey and the bike courses are pretty flat. I have a lot of great hills that are a mile or so from home that I don't mind riding because they are off the beaten path so to speak. The 202 path, is that the new bypass that just opened? I have debated heading up there so thanks for the recommendation.

I have been riding the SRT once or twice a week and I do have another question on that....
I'm fairly new to cycling, about 4 years into it. I see a lot of people riding side by side who will take up a big chunk of the path. On more than one occasion I felt like I was going to head off the pavement from being pushed over. I normally train alone but when I do have some company and if we aren't drafting one of us will generally drop back as someone approaches. And the group rides on there are insane with all the room they take. I had a group of about 20 coming at me taking up the entire path as one rider was trying to get to the front of the pack. Not falling off to the back but trying to sprint up so it took some time and looked pretty close as we passed. I don't mind coming off the aero's as people are approaching riding two across but it seems like a lot take up way more road then need be.
So my question is, shouldn’t you drop off a bit and give someone coming the other way their fair space? I'm not about to start saying anything to other riders but a few of these close calls have gotten the heart rate up as it was close. Just curious if I should be annoyed or anxious.

There are a couple things about the path. Like it was mentioned, it's not much of a workout unless you're on the tri bike and working on holding constant power for a HIM or IM.

Very experienced cyclists are used to riding very closely together and passing with an inch or so between them. I ride with BCP a fair amount and they avoid the path like the plague, so probably any group on the path isn't that experienced. Or they are DB's who think they own the road. I was on the path a little bit yesterday around 2, and it was terrifying. Everything from dogs on long leashes to families and kids (without helmets) swerving all over the place. Definitely a mistake on my part, I should have taken River Road back from Conshy.
2013-08-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Don't forget about the rollerbladers, they seem to take up the most room with that wide skating motion. I'll chalk it mostly up to inexperience then and stay content. Although I will check out the 202 route. I am building for a HIM next year so I ride on the trail to build volume. The 4 races I did/doing this year there is little to no elevation involved, flat and fast - all in Jersey shore towns so only problem is the wind.
2013-08-05 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by MLPFS Don't forget about the rollerbladers,

I was on the trail yesterday morning. I am helping my stepson train for the MS City to shore ride and the SRT is a decent place for him to ride at a steady state. Too many hills or redlights and he starts to slow way down.

Anyway, saw two different women on skates and cell phones! One was on actual rollers skates, the other was on blades, but both were on cell phones, and the trail was very busy. Mind you, the walkers and bladers and such tend to be in the congested areas near parking spots.

2013-08-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro
Originally posted by mrbbrad

I was on the trail yesterday morning. I am helping my stepson train for the MS City to shore ride and the SRT is a decent place for him to ride at a steady state. Too many hills or redlights and he starts to slow way down.

Anyway, saw two different women on skates and cell phones! One was on actual rollers skates, the other was on blades, but both were on cell phones, and the trail was very busy. Mind you, the walkers and bladers and such tend to be in the congested areas near parking spots.

I'm supposed to do MS 150 too. My buddy is putting a team together - WikiBikes (We leak everywhere). Are you doing it too?

The nice thing I'll say about the SRT is that if you're riding solo you always have people nearby. Plus you do get to meet cool people if you stop and fill bottles in VF or out towards Phoenixville. Ran into a couple at VF on Sunday, she was wearing an IMLP jersey, he was wearing a LP Brewery jersey. They were from CC Philly and naturally we had friends in common.
2013-08-06 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I'm supposed to do MS 150 too. My buddy is putting a team together - WikiBikes (We leak everywhere). Are you doing it too? The nice thing I'll say about the SRT is that if you're riding solo you always have people nearby. Plus you do get to meet cool people if you stop and fill bottles in VF or out towards Phoenixville. Ran into a couple at VF on Sunday, she was wearing an IMLP jersey, he was wearing a LP Brewery jersey. They were from CC Philly and naturally we had friends in common.

I am. He is under 18 so has to be accompanied. We are doing the 100 and getting picked up by his mom, my wife and driving back. He is doing this as his Senior Project for High School. He's not the athletic type so it has been an interesting experience. He is built like a cyclist, long and lean, but has no desire to continue after this is done. He also has a very smooth golf swing but doesn't give a carp about the game, and can play by ear on guitar and piano but doesn't care about music. He is definitely his own man.

2013-08-06 11:07 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro

I'm supposed to do MS 150 too. My buddy is putting a team together - WikiBikes (We leak everywhere). Are you doing it too? The nice thing I'll say about the SRT is that if you're riding solo you always have people nearby. Plus you do get to meet cool people if you stop and fill bottles in VF or out towards Phoenixville. Ran into a couple at VF on Sunday, she was wearing an IMLP jersey, he was wearing a LP Brewery jersey. They were from CC Philly and naturally we had friends in common.

I am. He is under 18 so has to be accompanied. We are doing the 100 and getting picked up by his mom, my wife and driving back. He is doing this as his Senior Project for High School. He's not the athletic type so it has been an interesting experience. He is built like a cyclist, long and lean, but has no desire to continue after this is done. He also has a very smooth golf swing but doesn't give a carp about the game, and can play by ear on guitar and piano but doesn't care about music. He is definitely his own man.

All I can say is that I was no different, and with my two it's come full circle. My youngest decided to do track and field this past year, shot putt and discus. He hates running but they all have to do laps even if they don't compete in track. Beginning of the season he was running 10 minute miles, 3 months later he was around 6:15. He's already decided not going to do it next year.

Are you fully recovered from last year? I still have nerve pain, but at this point I just ignore it and keep biking.
Maybe I'll meet you out on the course?
2013-08-07 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

All I can say is that I was no different, and with my two it's come full circle. My youngest decided to do track and field this past year, shot putt and discus. He hates running but they all have to do laps even if they don't compete in track. Beginning of the season he was running 10 minute miles, 3 months later he was around 6:15. He's already decided not going to do it next year. Are you fully recovered from last year? I still have nerve pain, but at this point I just ignore it and keep biking. Maybe I'll meet you out on the course?

feeling pretty good. Not 100% but I may never be, lol. Some nerve stuff too, not pain so much and just sort of tingling and "pulling" at and near the incision site. Shoulder joint get uncomfortable at times but nothing major. If I didn't know I had a carsh with accompanying broken bones and metal plates I would just think it was tendinitis.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Schuykill River Trail Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Schuykill River Trail

Started by marine10k
Views: 1692 Posts: 13

2012-04-30 11:13 AM mrbbrad

Schuylkill River Trail conditions

Started by mrbbrad
Views: 3379 Posts: 12

2011-02-22 7:16 PM stilgarnaib

Schuylkill River Trail

Started by LazyFatDog
Views: 1344 Posts: 4

2010-07-08 9:33 AM LazyFatDog

Schuykill River trail

Started by mrbbrad
Views: 1280 Posts: 6

2009-04-13 10:47 AM mrbbrad

Pedal PA River to River - July 29th

Started by e_unit
Views: 931 Posts: 1

2006-05-22 2:17 PM e_unit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : April 5, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on river swims, speedsuits, road bike at IMKY, FOP IM pointers, saddle positioning, run8/walk2 method, treadmill to outside running, heelstriking and HRM on race day.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.