General Discussion Triathlon Talk » homemade open water swim float...? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-20 9:14 PM

User image

Subject: homemade open water swim float...?
I always try to swim with a "buddy" but there are times early am or evening after beach is technically closed that I will go train for lake open water swims.
I swim parallel to the ropes and I am usually not alone as others do the same but am not technically w/ a "buddy" was wondering if anyone has made a homemade swim float I could attach to waist or ankle that creates minimum drag but allows for a sense of "its there if I need it float" Looked on You Tube and have seen the ISHOF swim bouys on amazon and swim outlet that look great but spent my seasons budget. A pool noodle w/nylon rope and ankle cuff of some kind...anyone??

2013-06-20 9:24 PM
in reply to: joyct32

Atco, NJ
Subject: RE: homemade open water swim float...?
Why not try a leash from a surf or boogie board...just tie it around your ankle. That would take care of the cuff and rope. You could probably get one from goodwill or a yard sale to use. Then just rig it up to something that floats like a pool noodle or giant rubber ducky.
2013-06-20 9:27 PM
in reply to: njtiger

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by njtiger

Why not try a leash from a surf or boogie board...just tie it around your ankle. That would take care of the cuff and rope. You could probably get one from goodwill or a yard sale to use. Then just rig it up to something that floats like a pool noodle or giant rubber ducky.

This is what I do. I take a surfers leash and attach it to a boat bumper. Works like a charm and the whole thing cost about $20.
2013-06-20 9:28 PM
in reply to: 0

I tether a LifeGuard tube to my ankle...like a surfboard. I swim many days before sunrise all alone on the lake. Pretty much finish up before the local fisherman start launching their boats. Similar to this. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/31776.htm?color=212

I used to do the same thing with a kickboard and nylon rope but the tube can be buckled around your waist/chest in case you really run into some unforseen trouble. If you have it, you'll never need it.

Edited by cpzone 2013-06-20 9:29 PM
2013-06-21 5:52 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I have a friend that has a noodle that she has a rope through it that she open water swims with. She often swims with newbies and lends it to them as she swims with them.
2013-06-21 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Safety first, if you don't feel safe swimming, you shouldn't be out swimming, and don't expect the lifeguard to make a difference.Even when there's a lifeguard I wouldn't expect him to save you life. Likely he sees you and other OWS swimmers out their doing your thing and has his attention to kids playing with beach balls etc. and if you feel the need to bring a swim float then IMHO I think you shouldn't go out.

Rather than swimming with a float or hoping the lifeguard will see if you're in trouble, don't go further out than you can stand, in particular if swimming "alone". Swim closer to the shore where you can stand, being able to stand, rest and walk in is much better than holding on to some float and hope that somebody will get you. Early morning and late afternoon when there's not a lot of people anyway and wind normally settles, so there will be less waves. Hence, swimming closer to the shore should be just fine.

All that said, AFAIK there are floating devices available for OWS.

2013-06-21 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri
Jack LaLanne use to swim pulling several boats full of friends behind him. (Just a thought)
2013-06-22 7:02 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

I'm a confidant swimmer..it's my husband that is worried when I go off to swim, I do swim parallel to the ropes and where I can stand up, bright cap for boats etc.. but ya know sometimes just wanna change it up and "float w/me" float makes sense. Gonna give the noodle, nylon rope thing a try. Maybe it can add a resistance component too?
2013-06-22 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I also do the noodle -- cost me a buck at the dollar store, tied one end tight with a shoelace, and clip the other end to my race belt, which I then clip around my waist. Similarly, some swimmers in my lake group use the Swim-It.
2013-06-23 7:06 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

New user
Noddle and rope with Velcro around my ankle, been swimming in lake with it for years.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » homemade open water swim float...? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cold Water Open water Swim Caps

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1284 Posts: 3

2012-01-08 10:17 PM smurfcore

Open water swimming (somewhat cold) - swim cap required?

Started by iOrlando
Views: 2313 Posts: 10

2011-05-25 8:30 AM Av8rTx

"Swim Across America" open water swims?

Started by nehptune
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2010-07-08 2:59 PM nehptune

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2121 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15473 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.