General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot weather race. Hat or Visor. Why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-21 12:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Hot weather race. Hat or Visor. Why?

I converted a couple of years ago from a mesh Nike running hat to a SweatVac visor. 

I feel the visor is cooler, and I also like that way it also serves as sweatband to keep sweat out of my eyes while running.  Fortunately, I've got a thick, full head of hair so sunburn on top of the head isn't a problem for me.  I also like the way I can just throw the SweatVac visor in the washing machine when it starts to get too funky.

Whether hat or visor, I can't imagine not wearing some type of hat or visor to protect my face here in the intense Florida sun.  In fact, I never liked wearing hats before I moved to Florida, but now can't imagine going out without one.  Even then, I still slather sunscreen on my nose, neck, face and ears anytime I'm going out for a long run (or ride) during the day.

I used to get sunburned all the time growing up during the summers back in Indiana, especially when I was on the swim team and pretty much lived at the pool.  That's made me a bit paranoid about sun exposure and skin cancer.  I've had a couple of spots biopsied in the last few years, but have been lucky that everything has been beneign so far.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-06-21 1:03 PM

2013-06-21 6:01 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

San Jose
Visor, as the typical hat doesnt properly fit on my size 8 dome :-) So I stick with the Headsweat Visor with an all elastic strap. When I have used a hat, I liked it for all of the aforementioned benefits, and especially to keep sweat out of my eyes (even wear it while running at night.). I can find fitted baseball hats that fit, but not going to wear one of those, to thick for a run.
2013-06-21 7:39 PM
in reply to: clydecat

User image

Regular
Hat.

Reason: I don't own a visor.

To those who question the utility of shade on the eyes/face, I used to agree with you. However, I have found that if you can make yourself more comfortable during the run, you will perform better.
2013-06-21 7:51 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Hat for me since I have buzz cut. 

I also like the hat for racing since I can put everything in my hat that I need for T2.  Put on shoes, grab the hat and as I'm running take the things out of the hat like my gels and race belt.

I'd use a visor for shorter training runs where sunburn on my scalp isn't an issue though.  I just don't own one.

2013-06-21 10:22 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Miami
Originally posted by Clempson

where does this obsession to wear a hat or visor come from? i wear neither; i hate the feel of pressure around my head when im running. i burn extremely easily too so that aspect isn't even winning me over to the "wear stuff on my head" side.

x2

I never used neither a hat or a visor. Although I am contemplating to get either one to see if there's really a difference when running a long distance (I don't think I will ever wear a hat/visor for any run under a HM distance though).
2013-06-22 12:11 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Wearing a hat for me makes my runs way way better. I overheat a lot and with my hair thinning a little (turning 30 sucks...), getting more parts out of the sun is better. I mean it's noticeable different. After about 6 miles with a hat on, I can still crank out 8min or less miles within my target HR but with the hat off, it's up to 9+ minute miles. This of course is on hot sunny days. Low 80's, its effect doesn't seem that great but it does keep me cooler and more comfortable. I have two loose hats: an under armor one and a one I got for finishing a HIM. Both seem good. As someone else added, on my runs after my long bikes I have some ice from my cooler and just toss it in. I just tried this after I saw people doing it during a race (I forgot mine during my race, doh).

2013-06-22 4:37 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Always a hat for me especially for a tri - you gotta hide the helmet hair somehow
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot weather race. Hat or Visor. Why? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hat or Visor- which do you prefer? Pages: 1 2

Started by dmbfan4life20
Views: 3659 Posts: 50

2012-03-20 6:01 AM dipboss

Washing hat/visor

Started by jmcconne
Views: 3454 Posts: 22

2011-07-01 2:55 PM WillTriForBeer

Visor or Cap - Hot Race

Started by charlie
Views: 3016 Posts: 16

2007-10-18 9:07 AM charlie

Aero helmet : Visor or no visor ?

Started by Christ
Views: 1864 Posts: 4

2007-07-07 6:54 PM Christ

Hot Weather Running

Started by tech_geezer
Views: 854 Posts: 11

2004-07-17 12:00 PM Casey Shaw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 2
What is so fun about blisters, sore muscles and chafing, anyway?
date : June 9, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
An easy, healthy hot meal you can quickly cook with many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Questions on training plan sport ratios, staying in HR zones, my HIM run suffers, training for a hot race, tri or road bike for a HIM and the length for a run focused training block.
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".