HFP Racing
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 30s
Overall Rank = 115/138
Age Group = 200+ Spr Tri
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up, drove to race after seeing directions from sight were wrong the day before. Tried to suck down a few gatorades with breakfast. Set transition area with bike on end of rack. Walked around, did some light jogging. Saw Phoenix(who looks dead on her avatar), and finished transititon area. Walked out to potty and saw Phoeniz again with Superfuzz, and she said she saw Stupidnickname. Waited on him to come out of potty and chatted a bit. Forgot to ask if he washed his hands. Then back to getting ready. Nerves were making me crazy.
Event warmup:

Stared at water and was regretting signing up for a bit, but luckily saw stupidnickname again and he kind of talked me down a little since it was my first OWS. Cheered for the first few waves to go off and I was up. GULP!!!(little did I know this would be my last good breath of air for 30 minutes.
Swim
  • 24m 8s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Made it to first marker doing freestyle and felt pretty good, then POW foot to the nose, brought on sneezing fit. That was a nice welcome to my first swim. Started to freak out a little and went to side stroke to regroup. Group pulled away except three people. Was going to try and draft but these guys were all over the place. Thought it would be better to stay on course than it would to draft so I kept going. Made it to furthest marker and go to turn left and my arm gets tangled in rope holding marker. Actually thought about holding on to rope to catch my breath but said screw it, the other two slow folks with me were passing. I kind of hung with them the rest of the way. Thankfully the lifeguards on surfboards were not very close to me, or I would have stopped a few times. Was so tired I figured it was too much effort to swim over to them. Kept going and passed the 2 other slow guys with me. i was tired, kicking hard, stroking hard and trying to talk myslef into paddling harder but I was done. At this point finishing became priority and had plans on trying to catch them in bike. First of the three slow guys out of the water(by a foot or two) but they jogged and I walked to T!.
What would you do differently?:

Significantly increase swim practice, practice with swim cap(that was new)and not lose focus. Too much doubt.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Felt like I did OK here. Had liek the 6th fastest T1 and I was walking so not too bad I guess. Put bike shoes on and ran grass stretch in them going out so no dirt or grass would be in my shoes

foot bath
Bike
  • 42m 42s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I lost time in turn areas as the guy I sighted to chase pulled away in these areas. Legs were dead until bike was half over. Had trouble finding a groove from tired legs and hills, and turns. Swim really hurt my other areas. Tried not to push too much since I did not want to die on the run. Dead racoon on the way made me nautious and almost lost it while riding. Normally would not bother me but some reason it did this day. Girl was stopped about halfway and asked for CO2 cartridge and no one was helping her, so I stopped and tossed her one and took off. Wish she would have needed this earlier since this kind of woke me up and I started to pedal. Out of the saddle on the up hills and pushing more on the flats. Too little too late since it was just a 12 mile race but of well. Ended on a high not which was not bad.

Push more, remember gum I tucked in aeros earlier since I got a little cotton mouth. More smaller drinks and not as many chugs. Not be afraid of the burn out I feared. Should have done better in this area, but swim took its toll on me here and the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Decent T@ once I moved the four bikes down that had covered my spot. I was pissed but they had pretty nice bikes, so I moved them gently. Decided to run without socks(big mistake)so I slid into my pretied shoes, quick drink of gatorade, and changed shirts since mine was wet from swim.

not change shirts, drink on jog INTO T2 from bike and not IN T2
Run
  • 31m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to stop and pee at start. No way was I going to make it without a pit stop. My wife who was roped in volunteering was handing out water at aid station actually wasted a photo on me going in. Oh Joy! Came out of potty and they yelled at me to run back to where I went out of cones to keep going rather than to jump back into cones by the potties. I thought this was stupid, but who was I to argue. Probably lost a 2-3 minutes in that ordeal but I was off. I wanted to start slow and gets my run legs under me so I did. Ran course which was the most enjoyable leg to me for some reason. Encouraged some folks that were pushing hard along the way. Stopped and walked twice, btu only for a few feet. Felt pretty good so I just kept going. Felt something rubbing on my foot and it started to hurt and thought to myself this is why I should have put socks on. Made it to turn, grabbed some gatorjuice and drank it, dumped H2O over head and kept on despite big blister. At the roughly 2/3 mark I thought I felt to good so I picked the pace up a bit. Picked it up a little more and still liked how I felt so I stuck with that. Finished strong with a fast long striding jog until stupidnickname started yelling at me to sprint. This scared me a little until I figured out who it was but I just crossed the line. Girl came and bent over in front of me which freaked me out too, but then I realized she just wanted the timing chip on my leg. Oh well, first OWS done. Time in run was not good, but with pee break and blister and a hard swim it was ok.

faster pace, drink less on bike and T2 to eliminate sloshy feeling during run, wear socks
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed wife, drank a water and went for a cool down swim with stupidnickname. walked around a little and went to try and clean up and wait for Phoenix to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training and work travel

Event comments:

Seemed pretty organized, but needed more aid stations. More volunteers as well. They came and asked my wife to help for goodness sake.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:08 | 750 meters | 03m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/15
Overall: 131/138
Performance: Bad
Suit: Running shorts
Course: Rectangle shape with big markers.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:42 | 13.67 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 96/138
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills to start the course the whole first half and had to wind through two small housing areas to start and finish the bike.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:31 | 03.11 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 110/138
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty flat with a few small rollers. Very few aid stations
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: Buckeye Lake Triathlon

2006-07-17 9:39 PM
in reply to: #485345

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: RE: Buckeye Lake Triathlon
Awesome! OWS= wee buns
2006-07-17 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Darn it, I even messed up the quote, wee buns, not sticky buns.  lmao
2006-07-18 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Great job TRIATHLETE!  Good for you toughing out some challenges and coming through with flying colors!  Swim is always my biggest challenge (next to bike and run)!

Congratulations on a great race!

2006-07-18 10:23 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Forgot to ask if he washed his hands.

YES I DID, YOU'RE WELCOME!

(ha!)

Hell of a first tri, buckeye. On other HFP races, they've had tubs of water set up coming into T1 for a quick foot bath, but I didn't see them there this time. Don't know why.
2006-07-18 7:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Awesome job on your first OWS tri!!!!!  Great race report too!    You did so good.  Pretty neat feeling the best on the last leg of the tri!

2006-07-20 6:32 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
WAY TO GO!! Nice job. Now you have some place to start and make improvments on with the OWS. BTW, always good not to try new things on race day, IE, practice with the cap, run with out socks in training etc. Great job anyway
2006-07-21 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Congrats, good race report and you finished.  That was the most important part, you finsihed the race.  Now you know what to try and not try, what areas to work on.

Way to go Triathlete!

2007-06-09 1:59 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
I'm going ot do the sprint at this year. What's the hills on the bike like?
Thanks,
Steve
2007-06-09 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

If I remember correctly, a decent sized hill early in the bike, then a couple rollers, after the first, no big deal - I did em on my $59 huffy with no problem!

Dang buckye66, how much weight have you lost since that bike picture taken last year?  You look AWESOME!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buckeye Lake Triathlon Rss Feed