General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Triathlon
Total Time = 2h 31m 27s
Overall Rank = 32/184
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 7/27
Pre-race routine:

Usually I drink coffee, eat a banana and squat in the port-o-potty. However, rather than throwing one good deuce, I knocked out three before I even entered the water. To say the least, my stomache was empty and I didn't feel 100%.
Event warmup:

Stretched.
Swim
  • 29m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've always swam this race without a wet suit. As a matter of fact, there isn't a single lake in Arizona that warrants a wet suit (during the race season). But I could understand wearing one for bouyancy and energy conservation. The last 200/300 of this race is tough...a small bouy marks the boat dock, but you're swimming into the sun and my stroke started to fade because I kept pulling my head up to find the bouy.
What would you do differently?:

If I could have avoided that guy doing the breaststroke I wouldn't have swallowed those 12 ounces of lake water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I was up the boat ramp fast and found my gear no problem. I've been experimenting with putting electrolytes inside my shoes so I'll remember to ingest them. Forgot and wound up sticking my foot half-way in the shoe before I remembered.

Carry my electrolyte pills.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 13s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Very scenic course in northern Arizona. Whenever I felt like I was suffering I looked around and took in the awesome scenery. The lake water I swallowed and the GI problems I was having from the large dinner the night before began to haunt me. I was taking in good fluids and food (accelerade and Mojo bar)...but every swallow was followed by an acidic belch and creeping throat vomit. My legs began to burn but I set a goal of 1:10 for the bike and I obtained that...so I was happy. There was a tail wind on the way out with a headwind near the turn around...then a tail wind coming back with a headwind near the transition. With the altitude, this was a tough ride.

I need to eat large meals two days before the race, not the night before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

This was faster than I had expected. I have broken in some new Brooks and felt like testing them sans socks. More on that in the next comment section. Ate some electrolytes and threw some water down the throat as I ran out.

Nothing
Run
  • 49m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

I started nice and easy, ate a goo and poured water on my head. The conditions were still cool and I caught that blazing 24 year old that passed me on the bike. Then on the way up a two mile hill people began to pass me and I felt my energy being sapped. I usually recover on the downhill and hammer back to the finish line, but when two older women passed me I felt crushed. I know that sounds sexist but these were people that I knew I could outrun on any other day. I tried to rebound in the last mile, but my tank was empty and when my clock showed 2:30 I threw in the towel and coasted home. The sockless adventure almost paid off, I had only one blister, but it was on my pinky toe...bloody shoes are so cool.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I laid down in the transition area which I rarely do. I was wiped out. After gathering my thoughts and body, I took my change of clothes down to the lake and floated around for a few minutes. It was refreshing and I gained my composure. Milled around the transition area and found Aaron Hall, as we were talking Marc Brabant came across the finish line. After some water and some fruit we sat down for a pint of Dos XX at the Pay 'n' Take booth. That was worth all the pain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ate too much the night before and mixed some foods that came back to haunt me the morning of the race. It emptied my stomach in a bad way. I need to eat foods that I am comfortable with earlier than 12 hours before the race.

Event comments:

I mailed my registration two months ago and should have followed up via phone/email because I was not in the books at packet pickup. Therefore, I had to shell out $100 to race instead of $70 (that's why I registered so early). When you factor in the altitude, this is a difficult race. I think it was just what I needed for the Vineman, I'm ready to go out steady and strong in two weeks.

Last updated: 2006-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/184
Performance: Average
Suit: Fuck no
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:13 | 24.85 miles | 21.54 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:42 | 06.21 miles | 08m  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 5:29 PM

User image

Tucson, AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-07-17 11:25 PM
in reply to: #485400

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Good job! Where did you find the tailwind at? Good luck in the vineman!
2006-07-18 2:57 PM
in reply to: #485700

User image

Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance
I know I felt the tailwind at the turnaround and was pretty sure we had one at the beginning of the bike course since it was so damn windy riding back in. Did you feel one at all?

Edited by walz 2006-07-18 3:14 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed