General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul Fit, bike choices Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-21 9:39 PM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: Retul Fit, bike choices
Hello,

I have finally gotten fit for a tri bike by Ken Nowkowski out of ProBikes LTD. What a great guy! Had a great conversation, and really enjoyed working with him. I now have some R/S measurements to work with to select a bike. Previously I had looked at two bikes that really caught my attention. The first was the Fuji D6 3.0. The M/L (56 cm) frame has a stack of 525 and a reach of 424. The Look Aero 576 (L) has a stack of 561 and reach of 429. My measurements were 560 stack and 420 reach. Am I assuming to much that the Look is the better fit for me? I'm still pretty new at this, and I'm doing a little research of my own while Ken crunches the last of the numbers for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2013-06-22 6:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Retul Fit, bike choices
Sounds like you've got some long legs and a short torso?
The Shiv is a a great fit for you as we'll as the Look as you mentioned. The Slice wouldn't require much to get under you right, just one spacer ought to do the trick with the right bars. Did you select a saddle during the process?

Edited by fisherman76 2013-06-22 6:45 AM
2013-06-22 6:46 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Well, now I have some different measurements after looking over some of how the bike was set up with Zipp aero bars set all the way back, my "base" S/R numbers look more like this Stack-53 Reach-41. This looks to change the game a lot, might actually open up some options for me. The big two I was looking at where the Fuji D6 and Look 576, but I'm open to the best bike I can get in the 2k range. Anymore suggestions based on those measurement?
2013-06-22 9:41 AM
in reply to: str8himalaya

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Your best bet is probably to work with the fitter and his shop to get the best package deal on a bike that fits you, as the fit is often deducted from the purchase price, and once it arrives you get follow up work and a relationship going, which is worth quite a lot. Did he make any recommendations along those lines?
2013-06-22 11:54 AM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
He is an independent fitter and coach, he is not associated with any shops. However, he did have some suggestions on bikes. He was going to gather the rest of the info this weekend and let me know what he thought would fit the best. The Cannondale slice looks to be spot on if I go off of the 530 and 410 measurements. I am just trying to see what others opinions are on a few bikes I have looked at in person. The Fuji D6 seems to be a decent fit at S-525 R-424 but I'm not sure how big a difference a 424 reach vs. a 410 reach is or if it can be adjusted with a stem or anything like that. I'm very green when it comes to tri bikes, and triathlon in general.
2013-06-22 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I also got a Retul fit and when I come across a frame, I send the dimensions to my fitter, he then can look at other components such as stems, seat posts eat to see what can work. Retul has software/ database you an use to see what works ( fitters log into it).

2013-06-22 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Generally speaking, you *could* fit on just about any bike that's within even 40mm in either stack or reach or both, but that doesn't mean you should. A bike that is properly fit to your measurements puts you in an aerodynamic position that is comfortable and powerful for a long period of time. However the more you have to adapt a bike to fit you, through spacers, extreme positions, etc, the likely less aerodynamic a position you're in and the less adaptable the bike is to change with you as you grow, age, improve or whatever in your abilities. If the bike naturally fits you right off the line, you have something that really is built for you, in every sense of the term. It's going to work now, a year from now, and years from now. You'll be comfortable, which will enable you to train more effectively, make you stronger and improve your ability in the sport.

There are going to be many bikes, such as the D6, that are more of what is popularly called "long and low", meaning the reach tends to be near the upper side of the spectrum,and the stack is on the lower end. Well, actually, they're in the MIDDLE of the spectrum as far as tri bikes go, because that's the shape of most people who ride them...medium to longer torso and medium to shorter legs. For longer legged and shorter torso folks such as yourself, there are other options, of which the Slice is an excellent example. Personally I've uttered to myself that I wish I fit on it, because I think it's a beautiful ride. So does Chrissie Wellington, who rode it like a bat outta hell to a legendary Kona win. In short, it's a fantastic bike, AND you can acquire one for less than $2k, which you've stated as being important to you. In fact if you're truly that new to triathlon, perhaps you are still in need of a wetsuit, bike shoes, and a helmet, and one of the nytro.com packages is a perfect buy for you?

Whatever you decide, I applaud you having done what most newcomers don't seem to think to do, which is to get fit BEFORE making a purchase. Seems so obvious, but so many people buy first and fit after!
2013-06-22 1:50 PM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
I just happened to stumble into a 2012 slice 5 105 that fits me almost perfect for 1300 dollars. Only 300 miles on it. I'm relatively new, but even I know that sounds like a steal. If I'm wrong, please correct me. That might give me some space to get some race wheels. I have an aero helmet, and nice set of shoes, etc. Just getting the bike and a setup I like is next on the list. Does this sound like a good deal?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul Fit, bike choices Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

RETUL Bike Fitting?

Started by taylorz13
Views: 1881 Posts: 8

2013-06-05 12:02 PM ChrisM

Retul fit now or wait?

Started by Kombi
Views: 1221 Posts: 6

2013-01-26 7:45 PM Kombi

Retul vs F.I.S.T Fitting options

Started by JZig
Views: 2426 Posts: 5

2012-03-13 7:23 PM JZig

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3316 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Cycling Pain / Retul Fitting

Started by knightrun11
Views: 922 Posts: 3

2010-06-13 4:25 PM m2tx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.