General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much would you pay for +1mph/40K on the bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

How much would you pay for +1mph/40K on the bike?
OptionResults
Not a damn thing! Paying for speed is selling out.0 Votes - [0%]
Somthing, but I feel like I need to earn it first.12 Votes - [26.09%]
Would pay something except I'm broke.3 Votes - [6.52%]
$0-$25013 Votes - [28.26%]
$250-$5003 Votes - [6.52%]
$500-$100015 Votes - [32.61%]

2013-06-23 12:27 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: How much would you pay for +1mph/40K on the bike?

Originally posted by erik.norgaard I really can't answer this, spending on the bike is mostly irrational! There is little if any scientific data to support your need for whatever, and when there is, question remains how much that improvement translates to your performance. So you set your mind on upgrading your wheels because somebody on the 'net said it will give you another mph, but then you look at the different choices and your mind slowly accept the idea to spend a little extra because surely you don't want to upgrade again, ... but are those other wheels worth the $100 extra? do you get .1mph extra? Most of what we spend on the bike is spent because we feel we need something new every so often, or we just fall plain in love with that whatever. And then we try to rationalise and justify that we actually really need this thing. And D.Joe on the internet helpfully comes up with some fictitious fact that fits right there where our rational thinking got derailed. If you're not going to podium, you're really competing against yourself, and you win when you improve. Buying "free" speed only serves to cover up the fact that you didn't work as hard as you should have. But we do it again and again, for over more money to get that rush exceeding our targets and improving gives. Switch: I wouldn't set a target speed before I will grand myself permission to buy that whatever thing. If you've in your mind decided to spend the money, you might just as well get it now, the sooner, the more you'll enjoy it. If I should set a target, it would be to spend consistently a set amount of hours/week on the bike for say 6 months, or something similar, so when I get my new thingy I won't just collect dust. For example, I still ride a road bike, and I've decided not to buy a tri bike until I have done at least two HIMs and I know what I commit to.

Ahhh sweet rationalization. Lol.

I'm responding to you Erik, but also to Spudone.

I do NOT have unlimited income, and as this is my first year of tri, it has been a damn expensive year (we also have an overseas trip this winter, and a sizeable tax surprise, so I had to start drawing some limits somewhere). Maybe it doesn't make sense, but I definitely felt like I needed to do some more work on the machine before I started laying down more cash. 

I also had no idea how I would do this season either or even if I would like it, so I kinda wanted to gauge that before spending more.  I love it, and this season is going well, so maybe nice wheels and an aero helmet next season :)

2013-06-25 9:11 PM
in reply to: switch

Currently: no bike, so 0 mph. Next week, hopefully, a bike? 1000-ish? Based on a past rental, that would get me to 19-20 mph.

Best ROI so far?!
2013-06-26 6:29 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
+1 mph would move me from 63th percentile to 80th percentile (roughly) in an Ironman race. It isn't going to get me a Kona slot or endorsements, so I can't justify much investment for such a gain. I had a friend suggest I should drop coin on a new tri bike, but the frame and components aren't what's limiting my performance. I'd be better served hiring a coach and actually following a training plan.
2013-06-26 7:42 AM

User image

Originally posted by switch

I *gasp* couldn't even tell you what my tires and tubes are. 

Those are some of the first things to change out, even before thinking about rims.

Getting back to riding after a couple years off I started out with a road bike, Specialized low-end tires and heavy butyl tubes. I rode that for 6ish months and the tires were starting to flatten. I bought Conti 4000s tires and on the same circuits I was getting .5-1 MPH faster speeds. Grins and giggles, I threw in latex tubes and was a solid 1 MPH faster than the original tires with butyl.

Going from road bike bars to aero bars is at least a 1MPH, if not more, difference.

Aero helmet is a cheap way (cost/benefit) to pick up a bit of speed as well.

yeah, yeah, yeah, work on the engine as well, but all this other stuff adds up .1 here, .3 there, 1 on the other one AND working on the engine gives better return than engine alone with non-optimized equipment

One of the least cost/benefit things is deeper wheelset but that's one of the most obvious things people see, if you care about other's views on your bike

2013-06-26 8:39 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

At this point I already have a lot of "goodies": carbon race wheels, aero helmet, carbon bottle cages, shoes, etc.  My limiting factor is the person I face in the mirror every morning.  My current bike is faster than the ability I have to ride it. 

Even though my budget is not a problem, I'm holding myself to achieving some personal performance goals with my current gear and then rewarding myself with a new bike once I feel I've "earned" it. 

Mark

2013-06-26 1:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by switch I *gasp* couldn't even tell you what my tires and tubes are. 
Those are some of the first things to change out, even before thinking about rims. Getting back to riding after a couple years off I started out with a road bike, Specialized low-end tires and heavy butyl tubes. I rode that for 6ish months and the tires were starting to flatten. I bought Conti 4000s tires and on the same circuits I was getting .5-1 MPH faster speeds. Grins and giggles, I threw in latex tubes and was a solid 1 MPH faster than the original tires with butyl. Going from road bike bars to aero bars is at least a 1MPH, if not more, difference. Aero helmet is a cheap way (cost/benefit) to pick up a bit of speed as well. yeah, yeah, yeah, work on the engine as well, but all this other stuff adds up .1 here, .3 there, 1 on the other one AND working on the engine gives better return than engine alone with non-optimized equipment One of the least cost/benefit things is deeper wheelset but that's one of the most obvious things people see, if you care about other's views on your bike :)

This is great info Daniel, thanks.  I have seen a lot of people recommending the Conti 4000s, but I've heard they're hard to get/severely back ordered.  Anyone have a source they'd be willing to share for ordering? What makes them so good?  Less rolling resistance?  Will these be more prone to flatting?

What brand of latex tube--does that matter? 

2013-06-26 1:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by switch I *gasp* couldn't even tell you what my tires and tubes are. 
Those are some of the first things to change out, even before thinking about rims. Getting back to riding after a couple years off I started out with a road bike, Specialized low-end tires and heavy butyl tubes. I rode that for 6ish months and the tires were starting to flatten. I bought Conti 4000s tires and on the same circuits I was getting .5-1 MPH faster speeds. Grins and giggles, I threw in latex tubes and was a solid 1 MPH faster than the original tires with butyl. Going from road bike bars to aero bars is at least a 1MPH, if not more, difference. Aero helmet is a cheap way (cost/benefit) to pick up a bit of speed as well. yeah, yeah, yeah, work on the engine as well, but all this other stuff adds up .1 here, .3 there, 1 on the other one AND working on the engine gives better return than engine alone with non-optimized equipment One of the least cost/benefit things is deeper wheelset but that's one of the most obvious things people see, if you care about other's views on your bike

This is great info Daniel, thanks.  I have seen a lot of people recommending the Conti 4000s, but I've heard they're hard to get/severely back ordered.  Anyone have a source they'd be willing to share for ordering? What makes them so good?  Less rolling resistance?  Will these be more prone to flatting?

This is about half price of what you'll find at an LBS...
http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/continental-grand-prix-4000...

Free shipping to the US.

Latex tubes, whatever I find on sale, I get. Vittoria, Michelin, whatever.

2013-06-26 1:32 PM

User image

I have seen a lot of people recommending the Conti 4000s, but I've heard they're hard to get/severely back ordered.  Anyone have a source they'd be willing to share for ordering? What makes them so good?  Less rolling resistance?  Will these be more prone to flatting?

Lower rolling resistance. Remember, reading this, that 4000 and 4000s are different tires.

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev...

They're at least as good a flat resistance as any I've ridden other than gatorskins or armadillos and you really pay for those in rolling resistance.

2013-06-26 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Sweet--thanks.

Dude, are they more prone to flatting or what?

2013-06-26 2:48 PM

User image

Sweet--thanks.

Dude, are they more prone to flatting or what?

No. If you flat with them, you're probably going to see what caused it, glass, thorn, etc.

About the only thing tougher that I've found are the Gatorskins.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much would you pay for +1mph/40K on the bike? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Oly on Sunday, Skip Sat 43 mile ride?

Started by orangeace
Views: 1708 Posts: 15

2012-07-28 12:00 PM mdougc

43 mile comute? Pages: 1 2

Started by DaveL
Views: 2758 Posts: 36

2011-05-31 10:10 AM powerman

Sprint TOTAL Transition Times (T1+T2 average)

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1548 Posts: 14

2009-08-21 12:02 PM newbz

Ryan Hall Sets US Record: 59:43 Half Marathon

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 1320 Posts: 16

2007-01-17 7:18 PM doubleplay

Hebraica 1k Swim / 40k Bike / 10k run

Started by dragoman
Views: 639 Posts: 2

2004-10-23 9:32 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.