General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road ID Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-22 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Road ID

Well I'm going to get a Road ID, something I should have done a while ago.

My question is what do you guys have.

The interactive one or the non interactive one? I have a few, not serious (as in it most likely wont be life or death at the scene) medical issues.

I'm thinking of getting the interactive version.

2013-06-22 8:35 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: RE: Road ID
I have the non-interactive one, because I want my medical info available immediately -- I don't want EMTs to have to call a number to find out how to treat me. I figure I can spend another $15 or whatever if my husband and mom get new cell phone numbers.
2013-06-22 8:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Hope you don't have to find it out firsthand but in my experience Road Id is only useful in an extreme situation. Such as informing the next of kin or reaching out to a family member when the patient is not in a conscious state.

I had a bike crash couple of years ago and lost consciousness on impact. It was a group ride so somebody called 911. Paramedics stabilized me on site and wheeled me away. I remember telling them and hospital staff about my Road ID and DL (in jersey pocket) while I was getting wheeled in critical care unit. Until next day, I was going my patient 'Eureka'. They did not even put my real name until the next day when administrative staff came looking for name and insurance info.

Long story short... get either. I don't think they will look it up unless it's the last resort. Ofcourse, YMMV, incase your emergency unit doc is an athlete and wears interactive Road ID.

Edited by ironbaby 2013-06-22 8:39 PM
2013-06-22 10:03 PM

User image

Non, I figured they probably wouldn't have time or know to check website. Plus I figure if its that bad I'm screwed anyway so I just wanted to give wife a chance for one last I told you this would happen.
2013-06-22 10:09 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I just have the regular ones.
2013-06-22 10:50 PM
in reply to: #4784470

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
I've always just had the regular one. I think the only time the interactive one might be useful is if you had a complicated medical situation, and maybe not even then.

The way I look at it, the RoadID really only does two things: 1) if I'm dead, take whatever you can use; and 2) whether I' dead or not, please call my wife.

2013-06-22 11:53 PM
in reply to: tjh

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Some interesting responses here, not quite what I expected.

As far as the medical condition, I have something called Diabetes Insipidus, or my body does not produce a hormone that regulates water retention (has nothing to do with blood sugar diabetes).  I could see this being an issue if I was hospitalized for an extended period while I was not aware.

That is an extreme situation though, I think I will just go with the regular.

I do not have a wife to call, just a good friend and my mother who I was going to put on it.

2013-06-23 6:11 AM

User image

Originally posted by Justin86

As far as the medical condition, I have something called Diabetes Insipidus, or my body does not produce a hormone that regulates water retention (has nothing to do with blood sugar diabetes).  I could see this being an issue if I was hospitalized for an extended period while I was not aware.

I do not have a wife to call, just a good friend and my mother who I was going to put on it.

I have never heard of your condition, you must get tired of telling people your condition has nothing to do with diabetes itself. It should be called something else! Hell, im type 1 and i dont think we should be called diabetic because we get lumped together with type 2 folk. But anyway, i have the normal roadID, name, number, wifes contact etc.
2013-06-23 8:11 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

I only know about D.I. because my dog has it. Sorry about the questions, but I'm curious as to how you deal with it as an endurance athlete. I'd venture a guess that while training and competing, you have to be VERY cognizant of water intake. Do you have to take desmopressin?

I have the standard road I.D. I have a penicillin allergy and a genetic mutation called Factor V Leiden that significantly raises my risk of throwing a blood clot. If they found me lying unconscious somewhere and happened to see my road ID, AND if the doctors/paramedics actually KNOW what Factor V Leiden is, I'd hope they'd look for a blood clot in my brain, lungs, or in some other important organ (if I wasn't already knocking on death's door). It's a bit of a crapshoot that anyone will actually look at it, though. Mine's bright yellow and I wear it on my wrist in running events and I have the ankle strap for triathlon.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-06-23 8:15 AM
2013-06-23 8:15 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Lenexa, KS
I've had the interactive one for several years now, but after reading this thread its good to know that it pretty much doesn't matter.

Oh well. Just renewed the year so I'll have to contemplate whether I want to get a different one next year or not I suppose.
2013-06-23 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've worn a Medic-Alert bracelet since my heart surgery 12 years ago.  Besides having a mechanic aortic valve and being on Coumadin, I also have a penicillin allergy. 

Since I have the Medic-Alert service, I just got a regular Road ID bracelet.  I suppose it's a bit redundant to have both, but better safe than sorry.

Mark

2013-06-23 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by coates_hbk

I have never heard of your condition, you must get tired of telling people your condition has nothing to do with diabetes itself. It should be called something else! Hell, im type 1 and i dont think we should be called diabetic because we get lumped together with type 2 folk. But anyway, i have the normal roadID, name, number, wifes contact etc.

It's a pretty uncommon condition 1:100,000 is what I have heard.  It's like wining the bad lottery lol! 

As far as conditions go though it can be managed very easily and effectively, so there are people far worse off out there.

Edited by Justin86 2013-06-23 9:22 AM
2013-06-23 9:24 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I have always worn the non interactive one but I don't have any other Known issues. I never leave for a ride or a run with out it on and am very uncomfortable about going without it, so much so that when I lost it on a ride last year, I went straight out and retraced the route later in the day to see if I could find it, when I couldn't, I ordered another replacement that night immediately as I rarely ride or run with any other form of ID on me but that.
2013-06-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by glfprncs

I only know about D.I. because my dog has it. Sorry about the questions, but I'm curious as to how you deal with it as an endurance athlete. I'd venture a guess that while training and competing, you have to be VERY cognizant of water intake. Do you have to take desmopressin? I have the standard road I.D. I have a penicillin allergy and a genetic mutation called Factor V Leiden that significantly raises my risk of throwing a blood clot. If they found me lying unconscious somewhere and happened to see my road ID, AND if the doctors/paramedics actually KNOW what Factor V Leiden is, I'd hope they'd look for a blood clot in my brain, lungs, or in some other important organ (if I wasn't already knocking on death's door). It's a bit of a crapshoot that anyone will actually look at it, though. Mine's bright yellow and I wear it on my wrist in running events and I have the ankle strap for triathlon.

It has been a bit of a challenge watching my water intake.  I actually only have been treated for a few months now, and yes I take demopressin.  The biggest issue is still habitual, I used to drink in excess of 2 gallons of water some days, for years.  The demopressin is a wonder drug, it completely reversed my condition.  It can flip easy though, If I forget to take it even once, I can feel the extreme thirst and excessive urination returns.

It is starting to become an issue on some of my longer rides where I have to ration water.  I have used it all up, leaving me with out a drink for the last 10 miles or so, which can suck.

Besides that it's a lot of monitoring of my sodium, potassium, blood and urine osmality

2013-06-23 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
I have the regular thin rubberized one.  It fits snug to my wrist making it easy to OWS with it on.  And it is small and discrete enough that I just leave it on all the time, even at work.  It is non-interactive so that the info is readily available.
2013-06-23 4:32 PM
in reply to: Maria527

User image

I have had one on my running shoe for the past 10 years. It was only a few weeks ago after a bike crash about 20 miles from my house that I realized that I never rode with any ID. I just got my ruberized wrist one this week and have been wearing it 24/7.

Even if it is not seen right away I think someone will eventually find it on my wrist.

Keba

2013-06-23 5:54 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I just have the same regular one that I've had for years (before they even offered the interactive one).  My ankle band is all faded and starting to fray, so I guess one of these days I should get off my butt and order a new one.

I don't know much about the interactive one.

2013-06-23 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
I have the regular road ID, the slim one, and I have medical information that needs to be on there, such as my severe Neosporin allergy and the year I had gastric bypass surgery. I was able to fit my name, medical info, and 2 phone numbers on the 5 maximum lines

When I ordered the road ID and read the info on the offered interactive one, the first image in my head was me lying on the side of the road after a bad bike accident, and an EMT reading it and saying "Roadid.com? Ain't nobody got time for that girl you dying!!!"

Edited by jillian_o 2013-06-23 8:16 PM
2013-06-23 8:44 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida

The interactive one or the non interactive one? I have a few, not serious (as in it most likely wont be life or death at the scene) medical issues.

As a runner and triathlete, I have a Road ID. I think it is a great idea, but as a firefighter/paramedic, I realize I might be wasting my money. I put out a public safety announcement at my department a year ago about Road ID and other sport identification systems. Last week at the fire station, a fellow firefighter noticed the Road ID band on my arm. He asked me about it because he was unfamiliar with it, even though there was a publication put out about it. Also this weekend at a triathlon about 2 hours from my home, I was talking with a firefighter there. It was a different department than I work for, but he was unfamiliar with the Road ID band as well. The education is great among the athletes, but not so great in the medical community. I try to talk to the local fire department or EMS agency at races to get the word out before I start the event just in case. I also know when we are working an emergency, we use the information at hand because we don't usually have resources to call phone numbers. As such, I would recommend going with the non-interactive version, which is what I use. It will at least provide your name, age, allergies, and life-threatening health conditions.

2013-06-23 11:45 PM
in reply to: Running_FF

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Running_FF

As a runner and triathlete, I have a Road ID. I think it is a great idea, but as a firefighter/paramedic, I realize I might be wasting my money. I put out a public safety announcement at my department a year ago about Road ID and other sport identification systems. Last week at the fire station, a fellow firefighter noticed the Road ID band on my arm. He asked me about it because he was unfamiliar with it, even though there was a publication put out about it. Also this weekend at a triathlon about 2 hours from my home, I was talking with a firefighter there. It was a different department than I work for, but he was unfamiliar with the Road ID band as well. The education is great among the athletes, but not so great in the medical community. I try to talk to the local fire department or EMS agency at races to get the word out before I start the event just in case. I also know when we are working an emergency, we use the information at hand because we don't usually have resources to call phone numbers. As such, I would recommend going with the non-interactive version, which is what I use. It will at least provide your name, age, allergies, and life-threatening health conditions.

This is interesting, I had no idea that it was not as widely known about.  I wonder if anything can be done to change this?  I work at a university, well we don't have a EMT program at it, the local tech school does. 

I think it would be prudent to have it mentioned during their schooling about Road ID.  Well I don't expect it to a mainstay of the program by any means, I think it would be beneficial to brief all the would be EMTs about it, and what its all about.

What do you guys think?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road ID Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road-ID vs. X-Treme Sports ID

Started by Tri-FatBoy
Views: 4189 Posts: 15

2015-05-15 12:02 PM rframe

Road ID Pages: 1 2

Started by Brent1812
Views: 1806 Posts: 29

2006-02-22 12:28 PM PollyC

Road ID

Started by PollyC
Views: 924 Posts: 8

2006-02-09 11:44 AM vortmax

Road ID: What do you wear? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by robbertcj
Views: 2879 Posts: 58

2006-02-05 5:33 AM suziq_623

My new Road ID

Started by jwiedmier
Views: 679 Posts: 4

2004-08-28 9:28 PM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : October 2, 2005
author : ChiRunning
In order to improve your running efficiency and enjoy that last leg of every race, there are three important “rules of the road” to follow.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.