Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Swim
  • 31m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really sucked this swim up. I believe that the course may have been a little long considering that I average 1:42-1:45 per 100m on long straight swims in the pool. A 20+ second per 100m speed difference in the OW? I don't think so! I did have a problem getting into my groove, but not that bad. I feel like this swim was not indicative of my conditioning.

So the gun goes off and there's a group of elite racers that started 10 meters ahead of my wave. I took off like the rest of the group and had an average first few hundred meters. There was a little more jockeying in the start than I'm accustomed to, but nothing that shook me up too much. I caught an elite chicks foot right in my head, but I just quickly popped my head up for a second to regroup and then took off again. After rounding the first buoy, I knew that I wasn't swimming my best, but I knew that I needed to push if I wanted to win my bet with Mike. I came out of the lake and made the dumbest decision of my triathlete life: I had a wetsuit stripper pull my suit off. The reason I say that my decision was stupid was because this lady managed to destroy my Quintana Roo Superfull wetsuit. Yes, you read that correctly, she destroyed that suit :(. There is a huge tear in the seam and body of the suit in the shoulder/chest region. Yeah, I didn't realize that until after the race. I think that a kick in the nuts would have felt better than realizing that my wetsuit was destroyed.
What would you do differently?:

Honestly, I'm not too sure. I pushed myself and just didn't have it all like I normally do. I think that my swim was not a complete bust, I was still near Mike, which meant that I still had a shot at winning out personal race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

T1 consisted of a few hundred meters of running to my bike, so my time isn't as bad as it looks, but it still wasn't blazing. I generally sandbag the transitions because I like to go out with everything rather than freak out about a few seconds of time and forget something important. I also like to take a second to watch people freak out like they are competing for the overall at Kona; it helps me relax and laugh a little. If anything, I stay lighthearted about my race and enjoy it more.

Nothing; I have no desire to look like most people in the T areas.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 35s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 20.30 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half of the bike was killer! We took off and after dropping two large hills, we started the climb, and it didn't end until the turnaround. I had a hard time climbing, but so did everyone else. I felt like I did terrible on the first half, but on the way back, I came on strong. I passed quite a few people, including a pace line of men on their uber expensive tri bikes and wheels. I take joy in passing people with bikes that cost more than my car :). I was semi frustrated though because I have been averaging in excess of 21 MPH on my rides recently, so I was hoping to post a faster overall time.

Umm... work on focusing a little harder. I kind of zoned out on the first half because I wasn't doing well.
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Again, I sandbagged the transition and had a little altercation with a dude that tried to rack his bike where I was in the process of racking mine. Yes, he tried to run in front of me while I was in the process of racking my bike. I asked him what he was doing and he said "racking my bike." I asked him if he didn't seem me racking my bike when he butted me out of the way and he started to cop an attitude. I then told him that he could move his bike or fish it out of the lake because I wouldn't hesitate to take a few extra seconds to run his bike down there and chuck it. Well, that solved the problem. Then I put my shoes on, took a drink, and ran down everyone down that passed me in the transition area.
Run
  • 42m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, so my run was actually the most frustrating part of my race. I really wanted to push below 6:20 per mile pace on the run, but I sandbagged the first few miles a little too much. I ran the first half around 7:45 pace and then started to pick things up significantly after the turnaround. I know I could have gotten a lot closer to 6:20 pace, but I am still trying to figure out how aggressibely I should run off of the bike. I like picking up the pace throughout the run, but I need to do it earlier. I was also discouraged by my overall time at this point, so I kind of turned off until the turnaround when I realized that if I wanted to even break 7 minutes, I needed to pick things up.

Umm... come off of the bike more aggressively and pick up the pace after 1.5-2 miles.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots of stuff. Mostly my head.

Event comments:

Don't let my race report fool you, I had a blast at this race. I just didn't hit any of my goals at this race, and I'm a very goal oriented dude. I think I had a little performance anxiety, but I shouldn't, because I tri because it's fun, not for another more serious reason. I kind of finished my race season for the year. I still have two more Olys to do, but I'm spending the rest of my season focusing on building a huge base for next year so that I can bump up to Marys and 1/2 IMs next summer.

Last updated: 2006-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:47 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Quintana Roo Superfull
Course: Counter clockwise triangle, 2 loops
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:35 | 24.9 miles | 20.30 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. 2300+ feet of climbing. Challenging, but I really like challenging courses because they push me harder (duh!)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:58 | 06.2 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat, sunny, and dusty
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Subject: XanGo Echo Challenge

2006-07-17 11:36 PM
in reply to: #485438

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: XanGo Echo Challenge
Great race report! I had fun reading it

I'm so sorry to hear about the wetsuit. That REALLY sucks. You should contact QR about it. I'd imagine that if you tell them how new it is they would be willing to work with you. They may be able to repair it or replace it at cost.

I got a kick out of reading about your T2. I kind of wish I had been there to watch it.

Don't feel too bad about your performance. The bike course was quite slow. Plus, the heat really made a big difference in the run. And I agree that the swim was long. I had a decent swim, but am quite certain that I was under 2:00 laps by at least a little bit.
2006-07-18 10:01 AM
in reply to: #485438

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: RE: XanGo Echo Challenge

Despite how much you missed your goals, you did great!  If you had been right on target, I would have felt like a loser.  It was comforting to see that we were all slower than expected.   Dave is right- the bike was tough, and the heat was definitely a factor on the run.  You might be right on the swim being too long, but I can't ever tell.  I know I could have, should have done better, etc.  Again, I'm glad you didn't smoke me in the water-  I actually think I spotted you in front of me several times in your QR suit and it helped me to keep from getting too frustrated about my pace in the water.  That's too bad about your suit, btw.  I wonder if the person knew they did it and didn't say anything.  Maybe it's a good thing they didn't if they did know- it may have ended your race right there with a trip to the local jail when you choked them to death    Hopefully you can find a good resolve-  it (was) a nice suit!

We'll miss the workouts with you- have fun in DC, and we'll try to keep up the levels to the "Drew standard" so we can do better on the next go.  Meanwhile, keep up your hard work and remember to have fun!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XanGo Echo Challenge Rss Feed