Graniteman Endurance Series
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 27s
Overall Rank = 26/68
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

wild rain and thunderstorm delayed start by 30 min.
Event warmup:

not much
Swim
  • 11m 35s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

goggles leaking--stopped to adjust within 100 yards. Fogged up goggles for the whole swim and with the overcast skies and tinted goggles meant it was tough to see. May have swum a bit wide; if the actual distance was 586 yards as they said it was, I would have swum 1:58 pace. But they must have changed the distance or I went off course.
What would you do differently?:

Hard to say since my usual 100 time is really better than this. at least in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

This was better than usual. I tried not to waste time though I did anyway by remembering that I never erased the computer from a previous ride and did that in transition. I did run the whole way from the swim which is pretty good.

Have the computer zeroed out before I start. Get a pattern down for what to do when. Figure out how to mount faster.
Bike
  • 49m 6s
  • 15.86 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

One of the safest bike courses I've been on. A lot of the streets were closed to traffic around lake george and state and lots of police and traffic control on cr 8 since we had to turn around in the middle of it, that was awesome.

I knew I was feeling tired when I got a few miles into the bike. Why I don't know. I didn't overdo it with the tailwind because I was afriad I'd blow up on the run if I tried to push harder. Maintained about 20-21 on CR 8 until I got off it. Need to work on the bike more. Now that I'm more comfortable with the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Transition was soaking wet--stepped right on ground in socks--yuck. Picked a pretty good spot.

Again, find a pattern and practice. I don't need to put my cap on first for ex.
Run
  • 27m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Sun came out soon after I began the run--hot and steamy bc of the am rain. It felt pretty bad but in fact was OK, tho not great. Had dry mouth even with gum. One water station.

Can't do much about the weather but more bricks would help the dead leg feeling on the first 1/2 mile of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental is some of it. but this time I really think I didn't train well. Right after Buffalo went to NJ and just ran ez there. And then it was race week so I didn't push it. I want to work to 1:25 finish time next year--6 min faster.

Event comments:

I give it high marks for the nice swim course and for the safe bike course. Liked that the waves were 3 minutes apart-- minimal contact with the previous waves which is good. Bad weather to start and wisely delayed start by 30 minutes. Music--OK, announcer OK. Food --pretty sparse: a cookie, banana, grapes, oranges, water and gatorade at the end--that's all! I appreciate fresh fruit and I don't eat the hot dogs etc. that some races have, but how about something with salt like pretzels? Healthy granola bars (without HFS, excessive sugar, or sat.fats)? Average swag: a cotton t-shirt, though they gave away coffee mugs--the third race I've got one from this year and love that. Good door prize raffles. For the essential things, this race is very good. Expensive--starts at $65 in winter and goes up to $80 in the spring, more in the weeks bf the race.

Last updated: 2013-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:35 | 586 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 0/68
Performance: Average
Suit: vortex la
Course: counter-clockwise square around perimeter.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:06 | 15.86 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Performance: Good
Wind: with gusts
Course: Out and back on CR 8--headwind out, tailwind back but I did well even with the headwind. But on Killian and then on University dr at bridge, the cross winds were so strong they almost knocked me off my bike. I rode Univ Dr at about 15 mph which was the slowest on the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:11 | 03 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty flat through neighborhoods. One water station which was OK.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-23 6:43 PM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: Graniteman St. Cloud Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Graniteman St. Cloud Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Cloud Earth Day Half Marathon

Started by buhl0006
Views: 844 Posts: 1

2009-06-11 1:37 PM buhl0006

Started by MnTirGuy
Views: 1074 Posts: 3

2007-05-28 9:01 PM norakraemer

Started by jpw
Views: 1346 Posts: 5

2007-04-25 7:39 AM B-One

Started by benihana
Views: 1272 Posts: 4

2007-04-23 2:34 PM freckle face

Started by freckle face
Views: 1576 Posts: 7

2007-04-23 12:55 PM elheffe99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.