General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Shin Splint thread... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-17 7:08 PM

Lakewood, Colorado
Subject: Another Shin Splint thread...
Left leg only. Every time I start logging miles, there goes the shin splints (I know this is a generic term for lower leg pain). Ranges anywhere from top of ancle bone to mid shin. In 1993 I thought I would just run through it, and ran right into a stress fracture. I am older now, and not training for "all world" titles so I had started my new competitive training nice and slow in May. Late June, shin splints return lower left leg. To rest the splints, I logged all my "run" miles on an agressive eliptical pace for three weeks, and the splints are gone. No sensativity, no pain. Thursday is my first run day, 27 min. I have a new pair of ASIC shoes designed for people who over pronate, and they are very comfortable. BUT... I stretch, I focus on heal-toe, I have new shoes for over pronation, but I know that they will return. Again, this is only in the left leg.

To keep doing the same thing and expecting differnt results is insane by definition. Any pointers? Does Dr. Scholls make a special shoe insert? Or am I doomed to going to the podiatrist?

I make sure and use "ICE ICE Baby" after runs. Perhaps "Pain Displacment" is the answer. I'll slam my right knee into a fence post before the run, then I wont notice the left shin.

2006-07-17 8:29 PM
in reply to: #485481

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Another Shin Splint thread...

Ice baby ice all day long!!! 10 minutes every hour when possible.  even if you don't run or they don't hurt.  Ice baby ice! 

Try this stretch.  In runners stretch postion turn the rear foot at 45 degree angle toes angle towards other foot.  You should feel the stretch develope along the posterior lateral side.  Try and relax your foot during heel strike. You could be over working the anterior tibialis.   

2006-07-17 10:03 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
do you run on trails or pavement?
try to run on trails or uneven fireroads as much as possible. not only is the ground softer, but it'll work the muscles that prevent shin splints (if that's what you've got) way better than pavement.
2006-07-17 10:54 PM

Veteran
Do you stretch well before or after running?

I started having shin splint problems in my left leg after having ACL surgery on my right knee. I realized I was somehow favoring even though it wasn't apparent in my stride. I took some time off, let things heal, and got as much information as possible. Now I run pain free.

Stretching helps me immensely. Also the toe-tap/alphabet exercises that I can do while at my computer.

The most important thing for me, however, is to concentrate on being very relaxed below the knees when I run. I was tensing up, worried about my repaired knee. Once I learned to relax again, my problems went away.
2006-07-17 11:03 PM
in reply to: #485648

Elite
Laurium, MI

my PT told me 3 weeks after symptoms are gone is when you can treat them as healed and start building up the running again.  So be carefull, as even though you don't feel them any more, they can still flare back up really easily right now.  Also do the ice for the next three weeks.  Freeze water in a dixie cup, then peel the bottom off and rub the heck out of your shin bone.  If I were in your position, I would not be running yet.  I'd be doing eliptical and pool running.  It's hard to do it, but it's the only way to heal.

If you know you are a over proneater then get thee to a running store and try some inserts and see if you can get it under control.  A good shop will be able to diagnose your stride and get it as close as possible with over the counter stuff.  If you can't get anything comfortable there, then see the PT about orthodics.

What's this heel-toe thing?  Are you saying you are purposely heel striking?  Have you tried a midsole strike?  I was having issues with my Psois and knee pain because I was a BIG heel striker.  I switched to a forefoot strike, but did too much, too fast and wound up with shin splints.  After taking care of them, I adopted the mid-foot strike and haven't looked back.  It's almost like a forefoot strike, except your heel is held lower.

anyway.... let them heal first, then worry about running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Shin Splint thread... Rss Feed