General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
RecPlex
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 14s
Overall Rank = 134/681
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/90
Pre-race routine:

PBJ and coffee on the drive over. UCAN about 2 hours before start and again about 15 minutes before start. Not much time at the race for anything other than getting racked, waiting in an extraordinarily long line for too few port-o-potties.
Event warmup:

None really.
Swim
  • 30m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've never identified a breathing issue, but for some reason I seemed to take more than my usual allotment of of water in the mouth. If my the Garmin was accurate, I was generally pretty straight, but I went way off course after the final turn into the sun. Based on distance from the Garmin, my actual swimming pace was 1:40/100. I probably it a little slower in terms of race distance when I got off course.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe invest in some tinted goggles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Good T1. No real issues. I was the 11th fastest out and only about :20 behind the quickest out.

A little bit of time savings by running faster with bike (not much to be gained here), a little quicker with glasses, helmet (not much to be gained here either). getting my legs moving sooner after I get out of the water (maybe could have picked up 5-10 seconds).
Bike
  • 1h 08m 40s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 21.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride generally. I probably could have pushed a bit harder, but I was wary of the heat and didn't want to be totally cashed to start the run. Leon's was cold, this was a little hot; I'm hoping for the race that is just right to see how if goes if I'm a little less conservative on the bike. I think I could ride up between 190-200 and not compromise my run too much.

Not a ton. Keep training. This was my best sustained effort in a longer (non-sprint) race. I'm happy with it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Relatively speaking, I was a little slower out of transition. :35-:40 seconds behind the quickest guys out. Everything in with the bike went pretty smoothly, so the main gains are really to get *running* right off the rack. I sort of jog it out as I get my bearings and legs acclimate.

Get used to running right off the rack.
Run
  • 52m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough run in the heat and sun. Other than generally not running well/not being acclimated to the heat, no real complaints. I didn't push too hard and the beginning and never really crashed. I was really pushing based on what I thought I could sustain for the distance by feel rather than focus too much on HR or pace. I was able to finish strong, and was on the edge of hurling right after crossing the finish line, so I feel like I was in the right zone.

Not much. I think I had the right effort level. On a cooler day at the same effort, this could have been 5 minutes faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat. Fitness (gotta keep working on the run in hot weather)

Event comments:

Really good race. The heat and sun were tough, but everyone had to deal with it. I would have liked to have gone a little faster, but I'm not beating myself up over it. I feel like I made good decisions and raced the various segments at the right level of effort. I felt pretty good in my first mile off the bike, so I don't think I rode too hard; it just got hot, and I need to get more comfortable in warmer conditions.

Last updated: 2013-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:37 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/90
Overall: 152/681
Performance: Average
Suit: De Soto T1
Course: Short leg to a 90 degree turn, then a triangle. Final leg into the sun seemed like it lasted forever. Couldn't site with any good depth perception with the glare off the water. General consensus was that the course was a little long (people seemed to be about 2 minutes or so off pace).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:40 | 24.86 miles | 21.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/90
Overall: 109/681
Performance: Good
HR came down gradually and got under control over the course of the ride (avg. at 155). Power was 179 (normalized at 194).
Wind: Some
Course: Two main segments. The first was an out and back and the second was a big loop. With the exception of one section of frontage road, the roads were pretty good. Per the Garmin, the course was a little short. I was really closer to 21.2 mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:56 | 06.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/90
Overall: 253/681
Performance: Average
Avg. HR was 162. Miles went: 7:58, 8:23, 8:36, 8:50, 8:56, 8:46, 7:53 (last .2)
Course: Back and forth and back and forth and back and . . .
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-23 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course

2013-06-24 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4785225

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course
Swim was a little choppy too. After the first turn it seemed like we were fighting the wind/waves & I also took in some water at that point. Nice job in the heat & holding off on the hurling.
2013-06-24 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Nice job with the race! 

The water got somewhat choppy along the backside of the triangle for me, but that could have just been due to the number of bodies in the water.

Sorry we (or Tony) missed you at the finish line... and also glad that you didn't hurl. 

2013-06-24 11:25 AM

User image

Good race! 

It really got hot there during the run once the sun came out.  Would have been nice if the firemen had the hoses going like they did last year.

2013-06-24 1:41 PM
in reply to: cvette4

User image

Expert
Chicago
Yes, I rate it as a personal triumph that I didn't barf on anyone.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course

Started by WIRachuba
Views: 1100 Posts: 1

2012-06-26 6:24 AM WIRachuba

Started by cvette4
Views: 1503 Posts: 3

2012-06-25 2:55 PM cvette4

Started by Jo63
Views: 1616 Posts: 8

2012-06-25 7:34 PM abergdol

Started by rdietz
Views: 900 Posts: 1

2012-06-25 8:48 AM rdietz

Started by nmladic
Views: 1739 Posts: 10

2012-06-25 3:33 PM doxie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2012
author : WIRachuba
comments : 1
On a rocky (concrete) path to the stars. A cautionary tale of how to get hooked on Triathlons

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.