General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water (Ocean) Swimmimg Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-24 9:21 AM

User image

Lexington, Kentucky
Subject: Open Water (Ocean) Swimmimg Question
I am on vacation this week and have the opportunity to do some open water ocean swimming. I've completed both a half and full mile in the past two days but am thinking I'm timing it wrong as I've hit it at high tide both mornings.

This being said, when is the best time to swim in the ocean? My mile today beat me to death. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time swimming in open water.

Thanks!!

2013-06-24 10:01 PM
in reply to: toadbra

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
Subject: RE: Open Water (Ocean) Swimmimg Question
Most of us swim in open water when we have time, not necessarily due to best time for a tide. Your experience might greatly differ depending on the water surface conditions (chop, surf, current, taste of water...)

I have not noticed a difference hitting the same swim spot AM vs PM or high vs low tide. Some say the high to low tide is bad since it lends to extra nasty rip currents, but if you're out there swimming a mile, rip currents aren't going to be an issue anyway. (Resist the urge to go "wheeee!" as is drags you out super fast!)
2013-06-24 10:13 PM
in reply to: ayabrea

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I do 100% of my swim training in San Francisco bay so I pretty much get it all: cold, dark, tides, currents, swells etc. I swim when it works for me. I like it in the morning because its usually calmer. But the afternoon, especially when the tide is coming in and there's a little wind, well, that's when some sesriously good work can be done. Swim against the tide to 'work,' and with it to recover. Natures intervals.
2013-06-24 10:54 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
toadbra---It would help if we knew where you were doing your OWS. Miami waters varie from OWS in the English Channel.
That said, I ocean OWS exclusively 2-4 times a week. My favorite time to swim in as early in the morning as possible because NORMALLY, the sea is less rough in the morning here in Miami.
If "current" is your problem I would suggest that you pick a swim route where you are swimming WITH the current. What I do (if the current is ripping) is to walk along the beach "up current" a mile or so then enter the water and swim "down current" to my exit point.
Hope this helps
2013-06-25 12:02 AM
in reply to: #4785558

User image

Lexington, Kentucky
I am in Hilton Head Island, SC. Yesterday, the waves at high tide (when I was out there) were 4-5 feet.

I entered the water and swam with the current (which may be like cheating) but there was no way I could have swam into it as it was brutal enough as it was. Again, this was only my 2nd Open Water Ocean swim as I'm used to the pool or lakes in KY.

2013-06-25 5:51 AM
in reply to: toadbra

New user
Key West
Originally posted by toadbra

I am in Hilton Head Island, SC. Yesterday, the waves at high tide (when I was out there) were 4-5 feet.

I entered the water and swam with the current (which may be like cheating) but there was no way I could have swam into it as it was brutal enough as it was. Again, this was only my 2nd Open Water Ocean swim as I'm used to the pool or lakes in KY.

The good news is that this type of training will make you ready for some tough TRI swims. You swam in conditions that were only a little bit (maybe a foot) worse than the Bone Island TRI here in January. I can't say I would want to train in that all of the time, but there were plenty of people in TRI who were not physically or mentally prepared for the conditions and either dropped out or struggled. You weren't really cheating swimming with the tide since many races will attempt to accommodate the tide that way. If you swim parallel to the beach, then once you get out there the time of day shouldn't make too much difference. That said, I usually swim early.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water (Ocean) Swimmimg Question Rss Feed