General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sugar Land, Texas
United States
Finish Line Sports
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 6s
Overall Rank = 180/600
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 25/49
Pre-race routine:

Ate a cereal bar and a Honey Stinger waffle, drank some Gatorade
Event warmup:

Some stretching
Swim
  • 05m 58s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had done some recent time trials at 5:52-5:53, so since the time includes getting out of the pool and dealing with other swimmers, I was very happy with the swim.

Caught the woman in front of me within the first 30m, then I caught three more people over the course of the swim. I was originally worried about passing and the potential for head-on collosions. I did see one almost head on collision, but it was always clear for me. I touched the person in front of me's toes and then I sighted to make sure it was clear.

The biggest problem was getting under the lane lines. I had practiced this beforehand, but it didn't go according to plan. The first lane crossing, I had caught another woman at the wall, so we were both trying to go under at the same time. There was also less of a grip at that side of the pool.

What would you do differently?:

Seed myself higher- I had only put 6:15.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Everything went smoothly this time, except that I forgot to put on my 2nd bike glove. It didn't end up bothering me. I also didn't hit the button to end the "transition" period on my watch, so I didn't get any bike data.

Just not bother with the triathlon mode on my watch. Just leave it on run the entire time.
Bike
  • 31m 5s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

It felt really good. I was 16.8 mph in my last race so this was a huge improvement, at largely due to some bike changes: lower handlebars, new wheels and tires, as I had only rode 175 miles since.

I passed probably 15 people, while only about 5 passed me.

Based on my run performance, perhaps I over did it. I thought I could hammer throughout the race since it was shorter - so I was pushing the pace, riding out of the saddle up hills, etc. I probably need to do more bricks to figure out how hard I can go on the bike and still run effectively.

I also normally spin out at a higher cadence prior to hitting the bike in, which helps to clear blood from the legs, but I was caught off guard - I turned a corner, and there it was.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Except for racking my bike on the wrong rack and having to move it, it went pretty well
Run
  • 27m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt heavy and it was hot. The run was definitely a mental battle, which I wasn't winning.

At my last race under ideal temperatures, I ran at 8:31/mile. I bet I lost about a minute on my overall time due to the temperature and minute because I didn't try to push hard enough through it.

More bricks + HTFU
Post race
Warm down:

Had some Coke, some food, talked to people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and my poor run.

Event comments:

Well organized race that sees a wide range of participants from professionals to first timers. It is a good race for first-timers due to the shorter distances and the pool swim, but be prepared for more heat that races earlier in the season.

Since the slowest swimmers start last, if you are not a good swimmer, it will take almost an hour for you to start swimming, meaning you'll be running when its a few degrees warmer.

Last updated: 2013-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:58 | 300 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/49
Overall: 93/600
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim. Up and back in the same lane, with two lane cross overs. People started from both ends of the pool and worked their way to the middle. There was 10 seconds between each swimmer.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:53
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:05 | 10 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/49
Overall: 186/600
I would have it but I didn't hit the button to end transition, so it kept counting transition time and didn't do any GPS - boo!
Wind: None
Course: Generally flat course with a few very small hills. There were two turnarounds and a few sharp turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:38 | 03 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/49
Overall: 216/600
Performance: Bad
Average HR = 178
Course: Two loop route on streets. Flat course
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Triathlon

Started by nhermes
Views: 815 Posts: 1

2012-06-24 2:14 PM nhermes

Started by dblbogy
Views: 1350 Posts: 1

2011-06-27 4:47 PM dblbogy

Started by sbrack606
Views: 897 Posts: 1

2011-06-27 10:30 AM sbrack606

Started by nhermes
Views: 1285 Posts: 3

2011-06-27 10:33 PM handyhammer

Started by
Views: 595 Posts: 1

2011-06-26 3:42 PM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : May 9, 2007
After a hard workout, I really like having a Coke or Pepsi. How bad is this for recovery and for my health? Should I stop drinking orange juice because it is loaded with (fattening) carbs and sugar?

date : September 4, 2006
author : AMSSM
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : June 5, 2006
Some athletes wisely devour lots of fruit, believing it to be among the healthiest of food choices. But other athletes mistakenly avoid fruit, seeing it as an evil source of sugar and carbs.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.