RecPlex
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 15/40
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30 which sucked but I wasn't about to waste $100 again. Thanks to the wife's new gluten-free diet for the family I enjoyed a peanut butter and banana sandwich on a rice english muffin. It was like eating crumbling rice paper. It was not good. And it got worse.
Event warmup:

I walked around. Waited in the porta potty lines for hours. Met BT legend Mr. Tony. Walked around some more. Stood next to a triathlete who was having a minor meltdown before she went into the water. Just solidified my reasons for doing the Duathon instead of the Sprint. The following times are based off my garmin because the Results page did not have a breakout. Also not sure about the distances because my garmin had everything short.
Run
  • 17m 42s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

My Garmin said 2.13 miles which would still be a pretty decent pace for me. There were only 40 participants and it still seemed like everyone passed me but I was still happy.
What would you do differently?:

Run more. Lose weight. Not eat a gluten free english muffin before the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

This might not be a good time for others but it is pretty good to me. I like to linger in the transition. Collect my thoughts. Chat with the other competitiors. What's the big rush?

Nothing. Oh wait, hit the porta potty!
Bike
  • 41m 52s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.79 km/hr
Comments:

This is where the wheels (not literall) fell off. I haven't ridden outside and on hills in a year. So anything that resembles a hill strikes fear into my heart. And when I say heart I mean my HR spiked. I seriously felt like giving up because I was going so slow. MTB's with big ol wheels were passing me at a nice clip. But like a trooper I soldiered on. It was only 12.4 miles (my Garmin said 11.3).

Ride outside on hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Long, I know but I was beat. The thought of the upcoming 5k was not appealing to me.

Take a cold sponge bath before starting the run.
Run
  • 31m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 18s  min/km
Comments:

Like the Macklemore song says, I did this 5k "Grandpa Style". On a bad hip, with frequent bathroom breaks and lots of mumbling! This was the worst 5k ever!! The minute I started running my stomach started rumbling and not in an excited way! My hip was starting to hurt. There were no porta potties to be found on this race. It was at a goddamn park full of playgrounds and baseball diamonds and the only porta potties I found were in a construction site. I probably would have been 5 minutes faster if not for this diversion. I didn't care, I had to go. I won't get into the details but I cursed those damn english muffins for the rest of the race.

EVERYTHING!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Water please. Sprinkler please. Anything to get hydrated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Geez, I hate this section because I must admit that I and only I limited my ability to perform faster! Should I train for these and do better or just do what I want?

Event comments:

I like the location of the race. The organizers were nice and the course was okay but please, please get more water stations!

Last updated: 2013-06-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:42 | 02.3 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/40
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around Lake Andrea
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 02:15
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:41:52 | 20 kms | 28.79 km/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Headwind
Course: I am not sure what I am pretty certain it was around Pleasant Prairie. I am not good at maps, I just followed everyone else.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:42 | 05 kms | 06m 18s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop around the lake.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pleasant Prairie Duathlon

Started by pjgrande
Views: 873 Posts: 3

2009-08-20 7:25 PM jabraunski

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon

Started by CindyK
Views: 1954 Posts: 16

2005-08-24 11:05 AM Machiavelo

Danskin Triathlon (Pleasant Prairie)

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 812 Posts: 7

2005-07-14 1:30 AM autumn

Started by Steve-
Views: 1005 Posts: 5

2004-11-05 9:56 PM La Rakusillian

Started by CindyK
Views: 1020 Posts: 6

2004-08-17 5:44 PM CindyK
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2012
author : WIRachuba
comments : 1
On a rocky (concrete) path to the stars. A cautionary tale of how to get hooked on Triathlons

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.