Georgia MultiSports Productions
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 27s
Overall Rank = 385/493
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

My first triathlon. I was working super hard not to work myself up or be too nervous.

Got up around 4:30. Not much of a morning person so I was really glad that I had chosen to sleep nearby. Ate a PB&J and an applesauce. Drank some powerade and water and packed up the car. Got to the event site and broke off the end of my presta valve on my back tire. I thought they were kidding when they said that things broke on race morning!! I had just checked the tire yesterday! I had plenty of time so I changed it while it was on the back of my car. Glad I practiced changing tires this week!
Event warmup:

I was a little unsure of the swim course. The first buoy was at an odd angle. The water was pleasantly warm and calm. I swam out to the green buoy and back. Felt like a little over 100 yards each way. It was nice and calm and I never had a moment of panic like last week.
Swim
  • 12m 23s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was a little nervous because this was my first mass start. I was worried about the washing machine effect so I stayed back. I was the last one in my wave to go into the water. I passed several people in my wave. The entire wave was fairly small with 20 - 25 people and I never felt the washing machine effect until halfway through the course when the next wave caught me.
What would you do differently?:

I could probably move up into the last 1/3 of the group. I handled the bumps, pushes, and kicks better than I thought I would and I didn't panic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I had really practiced this the week before and everything went perfectly. I was a little disoriented because when I got to my rack my bike had been pushed further down the rack. My transition stuff was on the ground in one place and my bike was further down. It really didn't effect my too much. I was super worried about wet socks and wearing my running shoes, but I think overall they worked out fine.

I set up my transition 3 or 4 times this morning I was worried about how I would approach it. I think how I set it up in the end worked out great. Practice really helps. I was really pleased with this time and I am sure I can knock off some more time with practice.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 34s
  • 18 miles
  • 15.39 mile/hr
Comments:

It was hard to determine if I was pushing hard enough or not enough. I was riding close to my training buddy and didn't want to slide into our normal habits. After the first 5 minutes I felt like I was ready to roll and holding a great pace. At one point I realized I wasn't racing but just riding comfortably. After that I made an effort to push just a little bit. I was able to pass quite a few people and took on the hills without fear. I dropped my chain going down a pretty steep hill I am wondering if I was just spinning to fast or if I accidentally spun backwards and that is where it dropped off. I made the decision to finish the downhill before I fixed the chain. I was able to fix the chain in under 30 seconds and I was on my way again.

I think its time for me to invest in bike shoes. When I got my bike in April I thought it would be too much for me to train for the triathlon, learn to ride a road bike, and learn the clipless shoe system. I rode this race in my running shoes and no cages. I think I made the right decision, but my wet shoes were dangerous. They slipped several times and I am missing the upward benefit of having my shoes clipped in. I think I am still abit nervous about switching over to clipless pedals. Also I am sure it would have helped my time to not drop my chain, but I think I handled it pretty well!
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Practice made all the difference! I was a little a little disoriented when I finished my bike. My feet had fallen asleep some (which I chalk up to wearing my running shoes, once again this would be solved with clipless pedals and shoes). I was able to stay upright and run a bit. I walked down my aisle some and racked my bike where it should have been. Grabbed my hat and belt and was on my way!

I need to figure out my shoe situation. Feet being asleep didn't help much. Other than that I thought my transition time was great!
Run
  • 36m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Running has always been my weakest sport. I always feel accomplished when I am finished but I have to work at it. This pace is actually average for me. I was aiming for under 12 minute miles and hit my goal. I stuck with me 3:1 as closely as I could and came in just where I thought I would. The aid stations were great at the first one I poured water down my back to cool down and drank Gatorade.

I need to put in more time running. Maybe if I run more my times will get a little better.
Post race
Warm down:

I was in a bit of a daze I couldn't believe I had actually finished my first triathlon. The finish line was a bit emotional. 3 months of hard work and it all paid off. The water never tasted so good!! I never eat so close after the finish because my stomach is always so agitated. The walk back to the car was around a mile. I couldn't believe how I didn't feel too sore. That feeling was short lived, half way back to the car I could feel the sore muscles starting

Event comments:

This race was really great. Everything was clearly laid out. There were ample volunteers and police. Never once did I feel that I wasn't safe or that if I was in trouble that it would be hard to find help. The courses were a mix of flat, rolling hills, and a little bit of challenging hills. This was a big race for me but I never felt like I was just a number. The after race gathering was incredible and I really can't wait to do the next one. I still can't believe I actually finished my first triathlon and completely destroyed all of my goals... So where is the next one!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:23 | 547 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 360/493
Performance: Good
Suit: Two piece Tri Suit
Course: The course was a little odd. The first buoy was at a sharp angle. Once we were told that it wasn't difficult to see the course. This was the one thing I was worried most about because I wasn't sure which buoy we would swim to first. I should have remembered turn buoys are different colors.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:34 | 18 miles | 15.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 183/493
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a little long, but I had figured on that before the race. It was a beautiful course with some challenging hills especially at the end on mile 15! I had a difficult time with the drafting rule. I didn't think it would be quite so hard to stay back 3 lengths as a result of a very full course. The police and volunteers did a great job directing and stopping traffic. There was alot of sun but an equal amount of shade. Really it ended up being a great course and perfect weather.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:42 | 03.11 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 438/493
Performance: Average
Course: This was a course with rolling hills (although it didn't feel that way). It was mostly in the shade and the support on the course was great. There were 2 aid stations both with water and Gatorade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-24 10:30 AM

User image

Subject: PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon

2013-06-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4785683

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon
Congrats on your 1st race!!!!!!!!!!! Well done and I'm so glad you had fun doing it. I've been looking at that race and may do it next year. Thanks for taking the time to post...
2013-06-25 7:17 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon

Glad you enjoyed the race. Thank you for coming out!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PT Solutions Allatoona Triathlon

Started by thecaptin
Views: 1281 Posts: 3

2012-06-25 10:17 AM sramaley

Started by Mc Q
Views: 1529 Posts: 2

2011-06-12 12:17 PM d00d

Started by kbizz03
Views: 1054 Posts: 2

2011-06-12 12:21 PM d00d

Started by thecaptin
Views: 1981 Posts: 7

2011-06-12 12:09 PM d00d

Started by zroomy
Views: 1136 Posts: 5

2011-06-12 12:20 PM d00d
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : December 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
comments : 0
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.