General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Competed in Syracuse Ironman but race was ended early Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-24 2:46 PM

User image

Subject: Competed in Syracuse Ironman but race was ended early
So I competed in this weekend's Syracuse Ironman event. I got through the swim and bike fine. The run course was a 2 loop course. During my first loop the weather turned really bad and I was told that they were ending the race early and I would not be allowed to do my second lap. As you can imagine I was terribly upset to have that happen. I told myself that I didn't train for 6 months to do a 64.3 race and even though it wasn't official I went out and ran the second lap by myself in the monsoon. It took me 1.21 to do the second lap, but I wanted to do it for myself.

I was still given a medal since the race was called due to weather, but I'm not really sure how I feel. I did the whole 70.3 distance, but the last 6 miles was unofficial since the race was called.

Has this happened to anyone else??

2013-06-24 2:57 PM
in reply to: reverend5150

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Competed in Syracuse Ironman but race was ended early
Yes. This happened at Kansas 70.3 in 2008. Volunteers literally barricaded the run path and would not let anyone else through. Out of respect for the RD and his decision - and my safety - I did not continue.
2013-06-24 3:16 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by lisac957

Yes. This happened at Kansas 70.3 in 2008. Volunteers literally barricaded the run path and would not let anyone else through. Out of respect for the RD and his decision - and my safety - I did not continue.

I told them I was going to continue and they said they were going to DQ me if I did. Instead I crossed the finish line to get my `time' and went out for my last 2 miles amid the storms. Of course an hour later it was sunny and hot. It's very frustrating, and as much as I hate to admit that I was wrong to keep on running, they do these things in the name of safety, not to be jerks.
2013-06-24 3:20 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by reverend5150

So I competed in this weekend's Syracuse Ironman event. I got through the swim and bike fine. The run course was a 2 loop course. During my first loop the weather turned really bad and I was told that they were ending the race early and I would not be allowed to do my second lap. As you can imagine I was terribly upset to have that happen. I told myself that I didn't train for 6 months to do a 64.3 race and even though it wasn't official I went out and ran the second lap by myself in the monsoon. It took me 1.21 to do the second lap, but I wanted to do it for myself.

I was still given a medal since the race was called due to weather, but I'm not really sure how I feel. I did the whole 70.3 distance, but the last 6 miles was unofficial since the race was called.

yep Boise 70.3 2012. The bike went from 56 to 13.x miles. it was miserable cold day out there until you got to town to run Go figure.
2013-06-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

When I was told the second loop was closed I started to run to the finish line. I got about two feet from it and went up to an official and told him that I wasn't going to cross til I ran the second loop. He told me that if I did that i'd be disqualified.

I am just trying to reconcile with it, and it will probably take a while. I did the second loop on my own unofficially, but feel as though it's just not complete. I feel like I can't display my medal or wear any of the logo wear that I bought.
2013-06-24 9:22 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Originally posted by reverend5150 So I competed in this weekend's Syracuse Ironman event. I got through the swim and bike fine. The run course was a 2 loop course. During my first loop the weather turned really bad and I was told that they were ending the race early and I would not be allowed to do my second lap. As you can imagine I was terribly upset to have that happen. I told myself that I didn't train for 6 months to do a 64.3 race and even though it wasn't official I went out and ran the second lap by myself in the monsoon. It took me 1.21 to do the second lap, but I wanted to do it for myself.

Sorry to hear!  I was at the race too and unfortunately pulled out after the first loop. 

I saw people raining in the torrential downpour.  I had no clue they closed the course!  Good for you for sticking it out and finishing.  Unfortunately you don't have an official time but you did the course, the race and got your finisher's medal.  No small feat given the 40 degree heat!!  Congrats!!

2013-06-24 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

So why did you skip the extra 1.2 swim and 56 bike?
2013-06-24 10:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by reverend5150 When I was told the second loop was closed I started to run to the finish line. I got about two feet from it and went up to an official and told him that I wasn't going to cross til I ran the second loop. He told me that if I did that i'd be disqualified. I am just trying to reconcile with it, and it will probably take a while. I did the second loop on my own unofficially, but feel as though it's just not complete. I feel like I can't display my medal or wear any of the logo wear that I bought.

So you were DQ'd? Or rather, DQ'd yourself on purpose?

Edited by lisac957 2013-06-24 10:37 PM
2013-06-25 12:00 AM

User image

New user
Generally race directors aren't concerned about safety, they are concerned about lawsuits. People sign a waiver so I never understand why this happens. I get if there is a hurricane or something like a tornado. But last year in Muncie, they cancelled the half and made it an Olympic at the last moment because of heat. HEAT!!! If you can't take the heat, don't sign up. Its an event that is held in mid july in Indiana. What do people think it is going to be, cold? And the race offered "discounts" on future ironman races. In other words, we are sorry we screwed you over, here is another opportunity for us to do that again in the future with 25% off!!!!!!
2013-06-25 12:45 AM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by Jasonhomey

Generally race directors aren't concerned about safety, they are concerned about lawsuits. People sign a waiver so I never understand why this happens. I get if there is a hurricane or something like a tornado. But last year in Muncie, they cancelled the half and made it an Olympic at the last moment because of heat. HEAT!!! If you can't take the heat, don't sign up. Its an event that is held in mid july in Indiana. What do people think it is going to be, cold? And the race offered "discounts" on future ironman races. In other words, we are sorry we screwed you over, here is another opportunity for us to do that again in the future with 25% off!!!!!!

You realize heat illness is a thing right? People actually die from it.
2013-06-25 8:31 AM

User image

Originally posted by reverend5150 When I was told the second loop was closed I started to run to the finish line. I got about two feet from it and went up to an official and told him that I wasn't going to cross til I ran the second loop. He told me that if I did that i'd be disqualified. I am just trying to reconcile with it, and it will probably take a while. I did the second loop on my own unofficially, but feel as though it's just not complete. I feel like I can't display my medal or wear any of the logo wear that I bought.

I didn't DQ myself. I ran through the finish after my first loop when the officials told me too. But after they gave me my medal and took off my chip I went back out on the course to finish the second loop.

After having some more time to think about it, I'm never going to be 100% OK with what happened but am OK saying I did an Ironman because I did the full 70.3. I don't think I'll ever wear my finisher items but am OK wearing the clothes and stuff I bought.

I have signed up for another HIM that is in my town in 3 weeks. I just feel like I have unfinished business with the way Syracuse ended.

2013-06-25 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

NC
I feel like I can't display my medal or wear any of the logo wear that I bought.

Then don't. Finish your race in three weeks and go batshizzle crazy with the logo wear.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-06-25 8:36 AM
2013-06-25 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
70.3 Switzerland was called off mid bike...
2013-06-25 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I didn't DQ myself. I ran through the finish after my first loop when the officials told me too. But after they gave me my medal and took off my chip I went back out on the course to finish the second loop.

After having some more time to think about it, I'm never going to be 100% OK with what happened but am OK saying I did an Ironman because I did the full 70.3. I don't think I'll ever wear my finisher items but am OK wearing the clothes and stuff I bought.

I have signed up for another HIM that is in my town in 3 weeks. I just feel like I have unfinished business with the way Syracuse ended.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't make it before they officially called the race. I feel bad for everyone who was still out there trying to finish when the thunderstorms rolled in and the downpour started especially for those who stuck it out and actually finished but where not considered official.

I was at 11.5 miles when the rain began and I just hauled my butt to the finish so I was fortunate enough to be official. Fear of getting struck by lightning is a great motivator! I know it didn't end the way your wanted it to but you should be proud of yourself for going out there and finishing it up on your own even if they are not "officially" recognizing that. You still completed the entire race.
2013-06-25 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Two things:

1. I get unfinished business. It's a powerful motivator. My entire 2013 season is unfinished business from 2012. It's going well.

2. This is going to take the conversation in a whole other direction, but I have to say it, especially since you seem very concerned about the labeling and what you can call yourself or what you can wear. I can relate. But you are not an ironman. You did a half.

Notice I did not say "just a half" or anything like that. It's a heck of a feat. I wear my 70.3 shirt with pride. But I am not an ironman. (Yet) i think the WTC does the tri world a disservice by the IM70.3 branding, and we've been around that topic over and over. At Eagleman this year, I could hear the finish line announcer from my transition to run, calling out every so often "you are an ironman." I mumbled, "no you're not." And I hoped he didn't do that when I cross the line. If we're going to want that label as if it means something, it should mean what it means. (He didn't call me that BTW, he called me the doughboy, which was awesome.)

2013-06-25 9:32 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Master
Sin City
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

Two things:

1. I get unfinished business. It's a powerful motivator. My entire 2013 season is unfinished business from 2012. It's going well.

2. This is going to take the conversation in a whole other direction, but I have to say it, especially since you seem very concerned about the labeling and what you can call yourself or what you can wear. I can relate. But you are not an ironman. You did a half.

Notice I did not say "just a half" or anything like that. It's a heck of a feat. I wear my 70.3 shirt with pride. But I am not an ironman. (Yet) i think the WTC does the tri world a disservice by the IM70.3 branding, and we've been around that topic over and over. At Eagleman this year, I could hear the finish line announcer from my transition to run, calling out every so often "you are an ironman." I mumbled, "no you're not." And I hoped he didn't do that when I cross the line. If we're going to want that label as if it means something, it should mean what it means. (He didn't call me that BTW, he called me the doughboy, which was awesome.)

I agree...it BOTHERS me to no end when someone said that they are doing an Ironman, or "i'm an Ironman", when they really did the 70.3 distance. No, you didn't do an Ironman period. OR, if someone did 140.6 miles of SBR, but at a different race (Rev Full, Silverman, etc), and they still call themselves an Ironman. *face palm*

2013-06-25 12:22 PM
in reply to: CyborgQueen

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by CyborgQueen

Two things:

I agree...it BOTHERS me to no end when someone said that they are doing an Ironman, or "i'm an Ironman", when they really did the 70.3 distance. No, you didn't do an Ironman period. OR, if someone did 140.6 miles of SBR, but at a different race (Rev Full, Silverman, etc), and they still call themselves an Ironman. *face palm*

Meh, that second one doesn't bother me a bit. Just because WTC trademarked the name for their own races doesn't make Challenge Roth not-ironman. In fact, because it is WTC that is responsible for the 70.3 being called ironman, I refuse to let the dictate the term either way in the spirit of the average person's usage. They want people to say they can "only call myself am ironman at an mdot race with Mike Reilley saying my name."

Ironman is 2.4 + 112 + 26.2 , with or without a trademark. In spirit anyway.

2013-06-25 12:45 PM

User image

Two things:

Meh, that second one doesn't bother me a bit. Just because WTC trademarked the name for their own races doesn't make Challenge Roth not-ironman. In fact, because it is WTC that is responsible for the 70.3 being called ironman, I refuse to let the dictate the term either way in the spirit of the average person's usage. They want people to say they can "only call myself am ironman at an mdot race with Mike Reilley saying my name."

Ironman is 2.4 + 112 + 26.2 , with or without a trademark. In spirit anyway.

I fully understand that what I was competing in was a 70.3 and not a full ironman. When I referred to not knowing if I would wear my "ironman" gear I was referring to the ironman 70.3 gear that I bought. I fully understand the difference.
2013-06-25 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I fully understand that what I was competing in was a 70.3 and not a full ironman. When I referred to not knowing if I would wear my "ironman" gear I was referring to the ironman 70.3 gear that I bought. I fully understand the difference.

Gotcha. And I've beeen in that spot where the race wasn't shortened, but I DNF'ed. I wouldn't wear the shirt.mi had a friend who dnfed a full IM and said he had no trouble at all wearing his gear. I didn't argue, and I think nothing ill of him for it at all. But for me, I would have felt odd. You and I are on the same page. I say, if they shortened the race amd you fulfilled the rquirements of the day, changed, you are fine to wear your gear.

2013-06-25 1:33 PM
in reply to: CyborgQueen

User image

Champion
Chicago

Two things:

So when you finished your first Ironman (MDOT, that is) how did you feel after? And after your first non-Mdot 140.6, how did you feel?
2013-06-25 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Gotcha. And I've beeen in that spot where the race wasn't shortened, but I DNF'ed. I wouldn't wear the shirt.mi had a friend who dnfed a full IM and said he had no trouble at all wearing his gear. I didn't argue, and I think nothing ill of him for it at all. But for me, I would have felt odd. You and I are on the same page. I say, if they shortened the race amd you fulfilled the rquirements of the day, changed, you are fine to wear your gear.

I hung my medal from IMKS 70.3 (which, by the way is the same distance for the non-Mdot half iron-distance races that I've run) on the end of the bike rack because I felt like I didn't deserve it even though I did run the last two miles (after going through the finisher's chute to avoid being DQ'd). But I kept that shirt. It's honestly the nicest and hardiest race shirt I've ever received!

2013-06-25 1:43 PM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Jasonhomey Generally race directors aren't concerned about safety, they are concerned about lawsuits. People sign a waiver so I never understand why this happens. I get if there is a hurricane or something like a tornado. But last year in Muncie, they cancelled the half and made it an Olympic at the last moment because of heat. HEAT!!! If you can't take the heat, don't sign up. Its an event that is held in mid july in Indiana. What do people think it is going to be, cold? And the race offered "discounts" on future ironman races. In other words, we are sorry we screwed you over, here is another opportunity for us to do that again in the future with 25% off!!!!!!

Sorry, dude, but that's a BS comment to make and an insult to all the RD's who work their butts off for months ahead of time to put on a race.

Get your shorts untwisted about Muncie.  No one got "screwed over".  It was unfortunate for all the participants, volunteers, sponsors and organizers that things turned out the way they did, but it's hard to second-quess the RD's decisions, especially in the aftermath of the Chicago Marathon in 2010.  One thing a RD can't control is the weather.  If a RD tells me it's not safe to race, then I'm going to trust their judgement.  I can tell you from experience that decisions like that aren't made in a vacuum.  RD's get a lot of input, including from the local public-safety officials when it comes to race conditions.   

Mark

2013-06-25 1:47 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by Jasonhomey Generally race directors aren't concerned about safety, they are concerned about lawsuits. People sign a waiver so I never understand why this happens. I get if there is a hurricane or something like a tornado. But last year in Muncie, they cancelled the half and made it an Olympic at the last moment because of heat. HEAT!!! If you can't take the heat, don't sign up. Its an event that is held in mid july in Indiana. What do people think it is going to be, cold? And the race offered "discounts" on future ironman races. In other words, we are sorry we screwed you over, here is another opportunity for us to do that again in the future with 25% off!!!!!!

Sorry, dude, but that's a BS comment to make and an insult to all the RD's who work their butts off for months ahead of time to put on a race.

Get your shorts untwisted about Muncie.  No one got "screwed over".  It was unfortunate for all the participants, volunteers, sponsors and organizers that things turned out the way they did, but it's hard to second-quess the RD's decisions, especially in the aftermath of the Chicago Marathon in 2010.  One thing a RD can't control is the weather.  If a RD tells me it's not safe to race, then I'm going to trust their judgement.  I can tell you from experience that decisions like that aren't made in a vacuum.  RD's get a lot of input, including from the local public-safety officials when it comes to race conditions.   

Mark

Agreed. I ran in the Chicago Marathon in 2007 and trust me, that race never should've started. Again, RDs do things for safety, not just to spite you or to ruin your day. They can't control the weather.
2013-06-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Originally posted by JZig
You realize heat illness is a thing right? People actually die from it.

And it's not just slow out of shape people that may suffer in the heat.  Though it is not proven heat was the case, Fran Crippen died in a professional 10k OWS while they were racing in 87 degree water in Dubai (100+ degrees on land).  Several other pros competing in the race also had to be hospitalized due to heat related issues.  People questioned whether or not the race should have been held in such warm water.

2013-06-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Mark

I'm glad you threw this out there, as I have a small idea of what it is to be an RD. i've produced two 5ks, each was well supported by runners and local community. We changed the route this year, and with enough volunteers, I was able to go out on the route to the one trouble spot. Worried about from a safety perspective. We had it well covered, but I was nervous. I used a non-hypothetical standard: would I let my 6 and 9 year olds do this course without me right on top of them? Yes, and I did just that. My worries about "what if?" That day had nothing to do with being sued, and everything to do with actual injury. To be fair, that is a reflection on the kind of community I live in. Had I been in the burbs, I would have thught about litigation a lot more. But I can't imagine it being more important than actual racer safety for its own sake.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Competed in Syracuse Ironman but race was ended early Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Will Ironman (WTC) allow me to compete? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rainydaytri
Views: 4722 Posts: 45

2010-11-03 7:13 PM gymgirlx

Early end to my season Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Sprint_DA
Views: 2967 Posts: 55

2009-06-24 6:30 AM monkeyboy64

CO Racers- Early Bird Reg ends tomorrow for Surf n Turf

Started by mikericci
Views: 780 Posts: 1

2006-04-30 10:36 AM mikericci

Need motivation for early am workouts

Started by nell1217
Views: 1370 Posts: 14

2005-06-28 5:12 PM trimom3

Running early in the AM Pages: 1 2

Started by Madlevi
Views: 1675 Posts: 29

2005-01-29 11:46 AM apenton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 14, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Scott Tinley on working to play, or playing at work.
date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.