General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Competed in Syracuse Ironman but race was ended early Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-25 2:44 PM
in reply to: CyborgQueen

Subject: RE: Competed in Syracuse Ironman but race was ended early
Originally posted by CyborgQueen

I agree...it BOTHERS me to no end when someone said that they are doing an Ironman, or "i'm an Ironman", when they really did the 70.3 distance. No, you didn't do an Ironman period. OR, if someone did 140.6 miles of SBR, but at a different race (Rev Full, Silverman, etc), and they still call themselves an Ironman. *face palm*

Seriously? If someone else does a 2.4/112/26.2, and mentions to a layperson that they did an Ironman just so they know what they're talking about, that bothers you? Why? Because they didn't pay as much as you did to race that distance?

LOL.

2013-06-25 2:45 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by mr2tony

I hung my medal from IMKS 70.3 (which, by the way is the same distance for the non-Mdot half iron-distance races that I've run) on the end of the bike rack because I felt like I didn't deserve it even though I did run the last two miles (after going through the finisher's chute to avoid being DQ'd). But I kept that shirt. It's honestly the nicest and hardiest race shirt I've ever received!

hey man, a good shirt is a good shirt! And you went out to make sure you earned that one even more, so no worries. Mine was a full on DNF.

Now, you're telling me, that someone was allowed to put on a 70.3 triathlon without WTC? (No pink font on ipad.) i'm with you there. After my Eagleman dnf last year, I did B2B half. I don't need no stinkin trademark! (Went back for it anyway this year.)

2013-06-25 2:50 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

Originally posted by mr2tony

I hung my medal from IMKS 70.3 (which, by the way is the same distance for the non-Mdot half iron-distance races that I've run) on the end of the bike rack because I felt like I didn't deserve it even though I did run the last two miles (after going through the finisher's chute to avoid being DQ'd). But I kept that shirt. It's honestly the nicest and hardiest race shirt I've ever received!

hey man, a good shirt is a good shirt! And you went out to make sure you earned that one even more, so no worries. Mine was a full on DNF.

Now, you're telling me, that someone was allowed to put on a 70.3 triathlon without WTC? (No pink font on ipad.) i'm with you there. After my Eagleman dnf last year, I did B2B half. I don't need no stinkin trademark! (Went back for it anyway this year.)

I KNOW CRAZY RIGHT!? Yeah I did B2B 140.6 and Ironman Arizona. Guess what -- SAME DISTANCE, and they both sucked equally.

2013-06-26 8:00 PM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
Originally posted by Jasonhomey

Generally race directors aren't concerned about safety, they are concerned about lawsuits. People sign a waiver so I never understand why this happens. I get if there is a hurricane or something like a tornado. But last year in Muncie, they cancelled the half and made it an Olympic at the last moment because of heat. HEAT!!! If you can't take the heat, don't sign up. Its an event that is held in mid july in Indiana. What do people think it is going to be, cold? And the race offered "discounts" on future ironman races. In other words, we are sorry we screwed you over, here is another opportunity for us to do that again in the future with 25% off!!!!!!

I've only done one wtc race, but I know the director of a major race company and have met several other race directors for smaller venues, and all of them live and die by their athletes' experience. Yes, they make money, but they're also passionate about the sport and running a race as best they can.

To the OP: thankfully, this has never happened to me, but I think I'd probably call it in if it were me. MAYBE if it were my first race at a given distance I'd still go for it, but even then I sort of doubt it. One of my biggest rules is to be able to go out again the next day, and the possibility of dangerous conditions would make me worry about falling and breaking things (I've broken my wrist and a good friend has broken a femur because of wet conditions).
2013-06-26 8:05 PM
in reply to: Jasonhomey

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by Jasonhomey Generally race directors aren't concerned about safety, they are concerned about lawsuits. People sign a waiver so I never understand why this happens. I get if there is a hurricane or something like a tornado. But last year in Muncie, they cancelled the half and made it an Olympic at the last moment because of heat. HEAT!!! If you can't take the heat, don't sign up. Its an event that is held in mid july in Indiana. What do people think it is going to be, cold? And the race offered "discounts" on future ironman races. In other words, we are sorry we screwed you over, here is another opportunity for us to do that again in the future with 25% off!!!!!!

1. Can't waive negligence (if I remember torts correctly)

2. While being "right" in a torts action may matter, lawsuits are still costly and it takes time and money to even get to and through summary judgment.

2013-06-26 8:05 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
Originally posted by VGT

I agree...it BOTHERS me to no end when someone said that they are doing an Ironman, or "i'm an Ironman", when they really did the 70.3 distance. No, you didn't do an Ironman period. OR, if someone did 140.6 miles of SBR, but at a different race (Rev Full, Silverman, etc), and they still call themselves an Ironman. *face palm*

Seriously? If someone else does a 2.4/112/26.2, and mentions to a layperson that they did an Ironman just so they know what they're talking about, that bothers you? Why? Because they didn't pay as much as you did to race that distance?

LOL.

x2

The only thing I *almost* get along these lines is Mdot tattoos. If you did B2B and got an Mdot tattoo, that would be weird. Then again, I don't really get tattoos... so what do I know. I'm planning to do rev3 cedar point full. If a non-triathlete asks if I've done an Ironman after I finish it. I'll definitely say yes.

2013-06-27 2:45 PM
in reply to: __sugar__

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by __sugar__

Originally posted by VGT

LOL.

x2

The only thing I *almost* get along these lines is Mdot tattoos. If you did B2B and got an Mdot tattoo, that would be weird. Then again, I don't really get tattoos... so what do I know. I'm planning to do rev3 cedar point full. If a non-triathlete asks if I've done an Ironman after I finish it. I'll definitely say yes.

I didnt get the m-dot tattoo after I did a 140.6 but I got a `140.6' tattoo! And after Arizona I got a little M-dot one just because.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Competed in Syracuse Ironman but race was ended early Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Will Ironman (WTC) allow me to compete? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rainydaytri
Views: 4721 Posts: 45

2010-11-03 7:13 PM gymgirlx

Early end to my season Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Sprint_DA
Views: 2964 Posts: 55

2009-06-24 6:30 AM monkeyboy64

CO Racers- Early Bird Reg ends tomorrow for Surf n Turf

Started by mikericci
Views: 780 Posts: 1

2006-04-30 10:36 AM mikericci

Need motivation for early am workouts

Started by nell1217
Views: 1368 Posts: 14

2005-06-28 5:12 PM trimom3

Running early in the AM Pages: 1 2

Started by Madlevi
Views: 1675 Posts: 29

2005-01-29 11:46 AM apenton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 14, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Scott Tinley on working to play, or playing at work.
date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.