General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turf Toe (sprained big toe)....still feel it 2 weeks later Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Turf Toe (sprained big toe)....still feel it 2 weeks later
I was jogging barefoot to the pond to go for a swim and my big toe caught the ground. It bent a little and it started to hurt a few minutes later. I really hurt 1-2 days after this but started to feel better. I was able to continue running on it. Its getting a little better everyday but I still notice it after long runs and other times during the day. How long before this toe goes back to normal?

2013-06-25 7:47 AM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Turf Toe (sprained big toe)....still feel it 2 weeks later

Originally posted by MRDAVIDALEXANDER I was jogging barefoot to the pond to go for a swim and my big toe caught the ground. It bent a little and it started to hurt a few minutes later. I really hurt 1-2 days after this but started to feel better. I was able to continue running on it. Its getting a little better everyday but I still notice it after long runs and other times during the day. How long before this toe goes back to normal?

Probably 6 weeks.  This can be quite debilitating......NFL players esp have difficulty with turf toe.  Try wearing a stiff sole shoe during the day.  Ice before and after your run.  Make sure the motion in both great toes is equal

2013-06-25 7:53 AM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

Subject: RE: Turf Toe (sprained big toe)....still feel it 2 weeks later
You're gonna kill me, but "it depends."

I got turf toe from time to time, mostly from mowing the lawn in the wrong shoes. We have really thick, lush St. Augustine grass and I use one of those old-fashioned reel mowers (the human-powered kind). In thick spots I have to really drive up from my feet to push the thing forward and before I switched to stiff soled work boots the tendons above my big toes were taking a beating.

TMI for you, but what I did learn was that even with turf toe I could run (in shoes, on the road) a few days after a flare up and it wouldn't make the condition worse, in fact it continued to heal. What I also did was be very religious about not going anywhere barefoot or in socks for a couple of weeks (even indoors). The extra support of shoes kept the big toes from flexing upwards too much and allowed healing.

I used a little ice and Salonpas the first few days of the flare ups, but that was it. Avoid going barefoot and you should be OK.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turf Toe (sprained big toe)....still feel it 2 weeks later Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Numb Big Toe

Started by The Dude14
Views: 730 Posts: 6

2011-01-06 12:15 PM The Dude14

Toe blisters solved - toe socks rule!!

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 547 Posts: 1

2010-01-10 7:48 PM kagoscuba

Toe blisters solved - toe socks rule!!

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 820 Posts: 7

2010-01-11 10:07 AM Artemis

HELP!!! Big toe pain

Started by moabrunner
Views: 652 Posts: 3

2009-07-09 7:35 PM moabrunner

Beating Turf Toe....

Started by Iowa Action
Views: 813 Posts: 2

2008-07-01 3:56 AM maverick_zh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.

date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet
date : September 25, 2009
author : AMSSM
After I have been cycling for about an hour the three middle toes on my left foot go tingly and then hurt like the blazes. Any clue as to what may be going on?

date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.
date : November 12, 2008
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : April 21, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
There are a few things you can do prevention-wise to avoid these annoying toe cramps (one of which is NOT eating tons of bananas as the common wisdom dictates!)
date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.

date : April 2, 2006
I have been noticing a pain in my left foot on my longer runs. It is focused on the ball part of my foot, almost a burning type sensation. Typically wiggling my toes around will get it to subside.