General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Competitor Group
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 14s
Overall Rank = 4/1300
Age Group = Open Elite
Age Group Rank = 1/45
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30 AM. Shower and breakfast. Pack the car and off the the race solo. Beautiful morning and crystal clear skies.

Into transition pretty quickly. I had a huge issue with the Shiv bladder on the bike. My bike went in for service to get a race tune up and I never checked the bladder at home on Sat night. When I went to get some race nutrition in it I couldn't. After messing with it for the better part of 15 minutes I gave up and just stuck the bottle of Infinit in the BTA position. My only bottle holder since I removed the one on the seat tube for this race.

Met up with David in transition and then we went left transition to get ready for the bus ride over to the boat house.
Event warmup:

No warmup for this race. They did not let us in the water to warm up.
Swim
  • 17m 49s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

They were going to start our wave in a time trial format but at the last minute decided to make the change. The let the entire Elite Open AG go at the same time including women. Man I felt bad for the ladies. We were packed into a space probably 25 yards wide and no more than 10 yards deep. The horn sounded and it was a mosh pit for the first 100 meters. I don't care about the contact but it's just annoying. Almost all of these dudes didn't have the pace to hang on for the entire 1500 meters. Why fight that hard over the first 100? Oh well. I just didn't want to lay on the gas that hard right off the bat. No warm up and a hot day on tap, going completely ballz out in the opening 100 meters can have a bad impact on the rest of the day. I kept my pace nice and even and then settled into a decent breathing pattern. I tried to stay as far left as I could as it's a much straighter shot to the last turn buoy. The water patrol, kayaks and boats kept trying to push me right. Unreal. In any event I didn't feel like I was having all that great of a swim. I was comfortable but breathing hard. I still had about 3-5 guy in contact for most of the swim even though I was not getting any draft benefit. I think the lead swimmer may have been about 25 yards ahead of me at the end. Some very fast young guys who can swim in the field.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Went down the wrong row again. That's two races in a row now. This one was much easier as well. Probably lost about 2 seconds.

Nothing
Bike
  • 59m 10s
  • 25.3 miles
  • 25.31 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I hit the bike the chase was on. I caught 1-2 guys within the first big climbs but was not making up much ground on the guys off the front. It took me about 5 miles to catch the race leaders. Once I caught the guys in the front we played a little cat and mouse. There were not enough open sections where I could focus on steady power and ride away so I had one guy with me a little longer than I would have liked. Once we hit Lemon hill I took my chance to lay on it and went up as fast as I could and that seemed to do the trick. I dropped that guy and then was pretty much alone. Coming onto the second loop it was very crowded. Lots of riders on tight roads. So making your way through the rest of the riders was really tough. I was pretty conservative here as I had to do a lot of passing and some of it was done in some sharp turns at really high speeds. I came off the bike and didn't really feel like it was all that great of a ride. I knew I was under 1 hour but I was not sure what was going on behind me. I knew there were some really great riders back there.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Quick trans here. Just put socks and shoes on. Garmin on while running and was off.

Nothing
Run
  • 37m 29s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Through the first 5K I was holding down 5:52 pace. I was pretty happy with that and felt like I had not really opened up fully yet. Cadence was good and I felt fine. I was pretty much all alone on the run course except for the pro women that I saw on the first loop.

At the first turn around I saw West coming and he looked really good. Young guys have a way of making this stuff look easy. In any event I knew it was a matter of time until he got me so I just focused on what was in front of me and kept on moving.

Got to about mile 5 and he came up on me. Went past like a speeding train. At this point it was the first time I turned to see if anyone else was in contact. No one was there so I made the decision to shut it down a hair and pull back. It is really hot on the back end of this course and I was approach melt down mode. I wanted to be sure that the last mile was going to be solid as I wanted to be able to defend any last charges from behind me. So I pulled the pace back to a touch over 6 min miles and that gave me enough breathing room to get things back in order. I forgot for a moment that the last mile is generally down hill and we even had a bit of a light breeze pushing as well. Last mile hurt as usual. Good finish and a solid result. I was pleased with the effort and decisions I made on this run. Much better effort than eagleman.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Beer, Bloody Mary's, Massage, and some great food in the Philly Insurance Tent!

Last updated: 2013-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:49 | 1500 meters | 01m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 19/1300
Performance: Average
Suit: HUUB Archimedies
Course: Point to point river swim with current
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:10 | 25.3 miles | 25.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/45
Overall: 7/1300
Ride Time (Time Moving) 0:58:51 Distance, mi 24.36 Work, kJ 1071 Temperature, °F 72.52 Average Power, Watts 303 Normalized Power, Watts 328 Average Cadence 88 Average Speed, mph 24.83 Average Heart Rate -- Weight, lbs 179.9 VAM 362
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Loops with Small Hills and Flat Sections
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:29 | 06.2 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 22/1300
Course: One loop heading west and one loop heading east on west river drive
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-25 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course

2013-06-25 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4786835

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course
Great race, congratulations.

2013-06-27 9:18 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
You forgot to mention that the only people that were faster were a couple of former Olympians and one of the fastest non-drafting triathletes in the sport!

Great job!
2013-06-27 3:04 PM

User image

You failed to mention that you were 1st amateur because the guy who passed you at mile 5 committed a penalty on the bike. Don't leave out little details like that! Congrats Mike!
2013-06-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: 03djmorris

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TriRock Philadelphia - Olympic Course

Started by konichiwa
Views: 1614 Posts: 4

2013-07-10 3:43 PM weds19

TriRock Philadelphia - Sprint Course

Started by gregrueb
Views: 983 Posts: 1

2013-06-24 10:17 AM gregrueb

Started by YeaJackson
Views: 1359 Posts: 1

2013-06-23 9:54 PM YeaJackson

Started by drcherrybomb21
Views: 1492 Posts: 1

2013-06-23 9:30 PM drcherrybomb21

TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course

Started by SportzVision
Views: 1414 Posts: 1

2011-09-17 10:16 PM SportzVision
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.