Other Resources The Political Joe » So much for keeping my companies current healthcare plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 4:15 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: So much for keeping my companies current healthcare plan

"If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.” - Obama 2009

Just got this from United Healthcare (our current insurance provider)

Over the last few years through the Affordable Care Act (ACA), UnitedHealthcare has been hard at work addressing the requirements of the new federal law. Although some changes have already gone into effect, the bulk of ACA provisions are effective upon your plan renewal in 2014. We are providing our valued customers early notice of what to expect upon renewal, including a change in your benefit plan.

Specifically, upon renewal, your current benefit plan will no longer be available, however you will be offered your choice of replacement plans that meet the requirements of the ACA and include recent benefit plan innovations.

We have had our current HSA Plan for 4 years and everybody loves it.  I haven't seen pricing on the new plans, but from what I'm hearing they will be significantly more expensive.

The other weird part is they're going to give us some options to renew in Dec 1 that they're suggesting will save us a lot of money by buying us another year.  The down side to that is everyone will reset their deductible on Dec 1.

For those that don't know I own a business that employs 8 people.

2013-06-25 4:23 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Subject: RE: So much for keeping my companies current healthcare plan
That's obviously a Republican lie. All health care will be easily accessible, cheaper than anything ever before offered and small businesses will prosper due to the ease and inexpense of the new system.

Haven't you been keeping up on the ongoing stream of propaganda about this horsehocky?

2013-06-25 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Tony, you can't seriously be that dumb. Obama and the ACA didn't take away your healthcare plan. The evil insurance company did!

Geez, some people are really thick!

2013-06-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Tony, you can't seriously be that dumb. Obama and the ACA didn't take away your healthcare plan. The evil insurance company did!

Geez, some people are really thick!

<NSA Edit>

Mr. tuwood was obviously mistaken in his earlier post, please disregard and move along now.

</NSA Edit>

;-)

2013-06-25 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Haha, nice.

2013-06-26 8:00 AM

User image

Pro
I'm so shocked that the insurance providers are spinning this to put people into alternative plans (how do you do the sarc font?).

Our plan (BCBS) actually went down about $15 per person. They did drop coverage of a few branded medications on the preferred prescription list, but they've been trying to push people to generics for a while.

2013-06-26 8:37 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Expert

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly I'm so shocked that the insurance providers are spinning this to put people into alternative plans (how do you do the sarc font?).  

What? Insurance providers try to "spin" something? Shocking

2013-06-26 9:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I hate to break it to you Tony, but in this case I think it might be your evil insurance company.  I also have UHC and originally they were going to raise our premiums about 4%.  Not too bad, and pretty much on average for how much premiums have risen every year for the past decade. But then my employer decided to open bid our healthcare and UHC knocked that 4% back off their price.  So my coverage, premiums, co-pays, everything is staying the same as last year.

The difference is you're bringing 8 employees and maybe 20 or 30 dependents to the bargaining table.  My employer brings a couple thousand employees and probably 10,000+ dependents.  So I would guess that your coverage has less to do with Obamacare and more to do with the little man getting shafted.

This is also why I really wish insurance can someday be separated from employment.  The quality and cost of my family's health insurance shouldn't be dependent on the competency and bargaining ability of my company's personnel department.

ETA: I assumed from what UHC wrote that they're just changing your benefits/pricing for economic reasons.  But re-reading it, was there something in your current plan that actually violates ACA?  What part of your plan doesn't meet the requirements?  I still think that UHC is just jacking up your rates because, well, they can.

Edited by kevin_trapp 2013-06-26 9:31 AM
2013-06-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by kevin_trapp

I hate to break it to you Tony, but in this case I think it might be your evil insurance company.  I also have UHC and originally they were going to raise our premiums about 4%.  Not too bad, and pretty much on average for how much premiums have risen every year for the past decade. But then my employer decided to open bid our healthcare and UHC knocked that 4% back off their price.  So my coverage, premiums, co-pays, everything is staying the same as last year.

The difference is you're bringing 8 employees and maybe 20 or 30 dependents to the bargaining table.  My employer brings a couple thousand employees and probably 10,000+ dependents.  So I would guess that your coverage has less to do with Obamacare and more to do with the little man getting shafted.

This is also why I really wish insurance can someday be separated from employment.  The quality and cost of my family's health insurance shouldn't be dependent on the competency and bargaining ability of my company's personnel department.

ETA: I assumed from what UHC wrote that they're just changing your benefits/pricing for economic reasons.  But re-reading it, was there something in your current plan that actually violates ACA?  What part of your plan doesn't meet the requirements?  I still think that UHC is just jacking up your rates because, well, they can.

I couldn't agree more with you about getting insurance out of businesses. 

I know I'm having a little fun with the subject in this thread but I am genuinely waiting to see what the other plans are and what type of rate increases we may or may not get.  I am expecting the worse and hoping for the best.

Our current plan is a standard HSA, and I know there are many politicians that don't like them due to giving individuals choices. 

2013-07-18 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
New report finds competition lowers premiums by nearly 20 percent in the Health Insurance Marketplace.

Not taking sides, just reporting on this. As an NIH-funded scientist I get daily updates from HHS, most of which I delete without reading.
2013-07-30 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
my companies plan hasn't really seen any increases. we took all the increases before obamacare was even on the table. $1200 a month is what it is at if you are married with children. i think it goes as low as $1000 if you are only married. luckily i pay a lot less since im single...

we are subsidizing the rates of the company that purchased us, so they don't have to see any increases. the head HR person told my office in a very frustrated tone that "since we all make 100k a year we can afford it".

its crap and has nothing to do with the current legislation.

2013-07-31 8:16 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Insurance companies change plans all the time. I got the whole 'your current plan is no longer available' TWICE during the Bush administration. It just meant I had to choose a different plan within the same insurance company.
2013-07-31 8:43 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
reminds me I need to see if my dentist is on my current dental plan. We switched. Glad we did not switch medical. I am maxed for the year swtiching mid year might been an issue.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » So much for keeping my companies current healthcare plan Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : November 9, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
What can you do? You can implement small but sustainable changes that you can happily maintain for the rest of your life. The changes might have more to do with lifestyle than food.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.