Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Five whole days and nothing about World War Z. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
Five whole days and nothing about World War Z.
OptionResults
Best movie ever
Not bad
Meh!
I can't believe I spent money on this.
Worst movie ever
I wish they would have followed the book
Hey it is a Zombie movie what were you expecting?

2013-06-25 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Five whole days and nothing about World War Z.
Well what do we think?

2013-06-25 4:38 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Five whole days and nothing about World War Z.
Originally posted by verga

Well what do we think?

WARNING: CONTAINS PARTIAL SPOILER (KIND OF)

It was definitely entertaining, the action was non-stop and I liked it for the most part. That said, there were a couple scenes where I was like `I know it's movie about zombies but C'MONNN!' And *SPOILER ALERT* the last scene with him and doctor -- that was a very awkward scene.
2013-06-25 4:45 PM

User image

I want to know what Max Brooks thinks about it.

2013-06-26 7:10 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Originally posted by DanielG I want to know what Max Brooks thinks about it.

He wasn't really involved until the production had began.  He gave the typical "watch it for what it is, an action movie" interview answer... don't want to burn too many bridges..

I would have MUCH rather seen a movie with the Battle of Yonkers and how they dealt with the frozen zombies in Canada than Brad Pitt flying around the world shooting zombies.  Think I'll be skipping this one.

2013-06-26 7:21 AM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Originally posted by TriRSquared

Originally posted by DanielG I want to know what Max Brooks thinks about it.

He wasn't really involved until the production had began.  He gave the typical "watch it for what it is, an action movie" interview answer...

That's why I want to know what he thinks about it. Not the political answer he gave but what he actually thinks about it.

2013-06-26 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
It was entertaining. Better than I thought it would be, although the ending was way too predictable and politically oriented. My 17 year old and I did a zombie day last Friday. Started out with 3 hours of Last of Us on the PS3. I played for 15 minutes, then his brother took over. Then we saw WWZ, picked up a pizza on the way home, and watched Zombieland on cable.

BRAINZZZ!

2013-06-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
SoCal
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

It was entertaining. Better than I thought it would be, although the ending was way too predictable and politically oriented. My 17 year old and I did a zombie day last Friday. Started out with 3 hours of Last of Us on the PS3. I played for 15 minutes, then his brother took over. Then we saw WWZ, picked up a pizza on the way home, and watched Zombieland on cable.

BRAINZZZ!

World War Z was decent and I will watch the sequel.

Last Of Us is amazing and already beat it
2013-06-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: Big Appa

User image

Champion
PA
I didn't get excited about it because I found the book a boring read.
2013-06-26 10:18 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
All my friends that have gone to see it either love it or HATE it

There seems to be no in between
2013-06-26 11:37 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

NC
I'm sick of anything involving zombies.

2013-06-26 12:45 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I went with Meh.

It was OK I guess.  My favorite part was the doctor tripping into the back of the cargo plane.  lol

My biggest eye roll was Brad and army babe somehow managing to be the only survivors of the unscheduled plane landing just walking distance from the WHO office.  I mean, that's just impeccable luck right there.

The best part of the movie was Brad Pitt being in it.  My wife is a huge fan and when we get home, well you know...

2013-06-26 1:31 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
SoCal
Originally posted by tuwood

I went with Meh.

It was OK I guess.  My favorite part was the doctor tripping into the back of the cargo plane.  lol

My biggest eye roll was Brad and army babe somehow managing to be the only survivors of the unscheduled plane landing just walking distance from the WHO office.  I mean, that's just impeccable luck right there.

The best part of the movie was Brad Pitt being in it.  My wife is a huge fan and when we get home, well you know...

They were on their decent to the airport which was next to the WHO office so that part is ok with me. They were the only two non infected survivors they showed but the other ones could have run off but they don't show it.

Dr kid shooting himself was LOL.
2013-06-27 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
It was a good action/thriller movie I thought. I never read the book and it seems as with most movies that are based off a book if you read the book first you will always be disappointed about the movie. I know that is not always the case but for the most part that is what happens. Everyone will have their own opinions on it because there might be a spot in the book that they really liked/connected with and if they left that out of the movie they end up being upset.

All in all I thought the movie was worth the money(well no, those damn movie theater prices!) to go see and it kept you on the edge of your' seat for the most part.

Brainzzzzz!
2013-06-27 7:50 AM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Pro
I really liked it. You know what it is going in so I was pleasantly suprised.
2013-06-27 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by Big Appa

I went with Meh.

They were on their decent to the airport which was next to the WHO office so that part is ok with me. They were the only two non infected survivors they showed but the other ones could have run off but they don't show it. Dr kid shooting himself was LOL.

I agree with that.  I was more huh?? about the giant steel splinter that I thought would be a bit more disabling.  Yes, he must have been a pretty tough guy.

I also thought it was interesting how the zombies had this supernatural quickness (looked like movie was sped up) at the wall in Israel but couldn't quite catchup and overwhelm the heros in the WHO hallways.

Overall, I was pretty lukewarm to the movie.  My son and I like zombie flicks and I'd give this a 4 out of 10.

2013-06-28 2:47 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

World War Z, the book, isn't really in the movie format. It would be perfect for something like netflix to get a hold of though. 12-14 episodes, 1 hour long each, each would be a chapter in the book. This would be a better format. Just look at the quality of cable these days with Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, etc. Cable could do a much better job of bringing the book to life, pardon the pun.
I am a huge zombie fan. I personally don't like "fast" zombies. This movie sprinkled in 28 Days later with the fast zombies, Walking Dead with the chop off the arm before infection sets in, and just plain old action/summer popcorn movie. This was just not World War Z, the book.
I think if they just marketed it as Brad Pitt vs Zombies, and not called it World War Z, I think it would have been better. With that title, people had a certain expectation of what the movie would be about and they would be rightly, disappointed, as I was.
All that being said, I did like the ant/bee/wasp type behavior of the zombies, and the eventual "diagnosis" was also novel.

2013-06-28 10:37 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Originally posted by Big Appa

I went with Meh.

They were on their decent to the airport which was next to the WHO office so that part is ok with me. They were the only two non infected survivors they showed but the other ones could have run off but they don't show it.

Dr kid shooting himself was LOL.

yea, I did get a laugh when the brainiac kid tripped and shot himself! I went with my son tonight...he loved it. I liked it...worth the admission. I found the zombies in this movie to be pretty freaky...like nightmare freaky. I'll see how I sleep tonight.
2013-06-29 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
The only reason I want to see it:
Totally not filmed in Philadelphia.
Glasgow filled in for Philly. I was there during the time when they were filming, and it was incredibly weird to see "Pennsylvania" plated cars in George Square. I just want to see how many streets I can ID.
2013-06-30 1:50 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DeVinci13

World War Z, the book, isn't really in the movie format. It would be perfect for something like netflix to get a hold of though. 12-14 episodes, 1 hour long each, each would be a chapter in the book. This would be a better format. Just look at the quality of cable these days with Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, etc. Cable could do a much better job of bringing the book to life, pardon the pun.
I am a huge zombie fan. I personally don't like "fast" zombies. This movie sprinkled in 28 Days later with the fast zombies, Walking Dead with the chop off the arm before infection sets in, and just plain old action/summer popcorn movie. This was just not World War Z, the book.
I think if they just marketed it as Brad Pitt vs Zombies, and not called it World War Z, I think it would have been better. With that title, people had a certain expectation of what the movie would be about and they would be rightly, disappointed, as I was.
All that being said, I did like the ant/bee/wasp type behavior of the zombies, and the eventual "diagnosis" was also novel.

I was not a big fan of the book. It seemed like a collection of short stories where some of them were incomplete to varying degrees. It felt like the author had a good idea for a book but could not figure put how to tie everything together.

Is the movie at least entertaining?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Five whole days and nothing about World War Z. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

World War Z (Book not movie)

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 996 Posts: 3

2012-12-12 9:28 PM BellinghamSpence

World War Z Trailer

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 1332 Posts: 10

2012-11-11 5:21 PM m55morris

Five Islands, Five Days, Five Ironmans

Started by tritwinmom
Views: 1255 Posts: 4

2010-04-20 11:04 PM crazyquick23

World War Z

Started by mr2tony
Views: 496 Posts: 3

2008-01-02 9:31 AM mr2tony

Just one letter can change your whole world view (caution - possible religious thread) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by dontracy
Views: 2577 Posts: 71

2006-05-12 6:57 AM hangloose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : November 19, 2007
author : Coach AJ
I'm wondering if anyone else has had luck with moving to a five-stroke breathing pattern. Is this okay for endurance swimming? What are its benefits and drawbacks?

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : March 5, 2006
author : sport88
The mental, the physical and all the rest. I have come to realize one of the most important sides of sports is mental.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.