General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swelling during run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 9:00 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Swelling during run
Today was long run day. The plan was 2 hours. I took Cytomax in a Camelbak and had a bottle of Perform at the house on my 4 mile loop.
At mile 7 I noticed my left foot was very uncomfortable and stopped to loosen my shoelace, never had this issue before. Little further down the road I actually had to untie my shoelace because it still felt tight. When I got close to 8 miles I noticed my hands/fingers were VERY swollen. My ring looked like it was going to cut through my finger. I wore this ring through 5 pregnancies, I am not a sweller. Then I could not keep my HR down. I stopped at mile 8 and decided I was done for this run.

Is swelling a bad sign or just something I should expect on a longer run? I did two half marathons during the winter/spring so the weather was cooler. I live in Houston so heat is an issue but I was running early on a mostly shaded route.

Thoughts on the swelling?

2013-06-25 11:55 PM
in reply to: KeriKadi

Subject: RE: Swelling during run
See you doctor! I'm not saying it is your heart but...
As a respiratory therapist I see swelling in basically 3 scenarios.
1. Fluid overload due to kidney failure. The urine output can drop and fluid taken in can back up causing swelling.
2. Allergic reaction. Swelling can occur from allergic reaction. I see this very infrequently.
3. Cardiac insufficiency. If a persons heart cannot pump blood efficiently blood can back up. This usually can be seen by swelling of the extremities.
There are no doubt many things that can cause swelling but with my experience I would want that issue checked out at once. Did you have any "out of the ordinary" shortness of breath during this time? Any chest pain? Your heart rate stayed high? How long did it take for it to come down? Is the swelling still there?
Sorry for all the questions. These are some of the questions that your doctor will ask though.
Anyho, good luck!
Respro
2013-06-26 5:17 AM

User image

Seeing your doctor is never bad advice.

But, my fingers tend to go snausage at about the 6 mile mark and get progressively puffier as it goes on.

When I have tied shoes, I learned long ago to tighten them only to being able to feel the shoe. I really like elastic laces if only for this reason alone. Somewhere around mile 7 or 8 my (usually left) foot tends to go numb and I've got to start wiggling toes and flexing my foot to get it back.

Heat makes it all worse. Humidity too.

My doc says this isn't unusual and she's a runner too so I tend to take her word for these things.

2013-06-26 10:57 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Houston
Thanks for the replies.

No shortness of breath and the HR came down as soon as I stopped running. Swelling was gone in less than an hour I'd say.
My run coach thinks maybe my hands were too low. I don't usually run like that but know my form starts to go at 6-7 miles.
Thoughts on salt tabs? I was going to take 1 or 2 the night before but forgot.
2013-06-26 11:42 AM

I find that when my hands swell like that it's because I need more salt/electrolytes. In fact, this past weekend, I took a salt/electrolyte tablet about half way through my run and the swelling went down significantly. Then again, I sweat VERY salt-heavy.
2013-06-26 11:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by KeriKadi

Thanks for the replies.

No shortness of breath and the HR came down as soon as I stopped running. Swelling was gone in less than an hour I'd say.
My run coach thinks maybe my hands were too low. I don't usually run like that but know my form starts to go at 6-7 miles.

Distance doesn't do it for me with salt tabs. No real change and I probably don't need all that salt.

Salt, for me, is a heat thing. If it's over 90 I start in on the lava salts.

2013-06-26 12:12 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by KeriKadi

Thanks for the replies.

Distance doesn't do it for me with salt tabs. No real change and I probably don't need all that salt.

Salt, for me, is a heat thing. If it's over 90 I start in on the lava salts.

Well I am in Houston and while it was no 90 it was PLENTY humid! I think I will give it a shot on my next long run.
Maybe one the night before and one in the morning?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swelling during run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Why do my hands swell when I run?

Started by spearit
Views: 2188 Posts: 12

2012-09-14 9:47 PM spearit

Hands swelling during running

Started by cafenervosa
Views: 1040 Posts: 5

2010-09-01 6:57 AM ingleshteechur

Right arm swelling during race?

Started by ersmith29
Views: 1052 Posts: 9

2009-08-12 11:23 AM jeng

Swollen fingers during marathon/HIM

Started by treiks813
Views: 9312 Posts: 16

2010-11-08 11:54 AM COSkiGirl

swollen hands during run

Started by fireskye
Views: 984 Posts: 10

2008-07-28 11:47 PM Slugger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!

date : November 5, 2010
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : July 6, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 9
I am training for my first sprint tri and I am having the hardest time with the run. I just get really winded between the 1-1/12 mile mark.
date : May 25, 2009
In the fall I was running on some trails and rolled my ankle pretty bad. I took a few weeks off from running and let it heal. Every so often, my ankle feels swollen, or off.

date : February 11, 2009
comments : 1
I am dealing with quadriceps tendonitis (QT) evidently brought on by my running, and am also recovering from meniscus surgery. I would think swimming would be good, but it seems to aggravate it some?