of 7

2013-07-02 7:20 AM
in reply to: dontracy

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Justices rule on SSM
Originally posted by dontracy

Originally posted by ChrisM that said, your post misses a huge point. State voters cannot, for example pass law disenfranchising Asians from voting in state elections. If law is unconstitutional no matter how popular it cannot stand. They never got to adjudicate 8 however 

As you pointed out, the SCOTUS decisions did not find a right in the Constitution for so called gay marriage.

The LGBT agenda is about changing the definition of marriage. No one is being discriminated against by the traditional/authentic understanding of marriage as being between one man and one woman.

So I don't think your analogy to voter law holds.

This issue is about two understandings of marriage: the traditional/authentic view that understands the conjugal nature of marriage vs. the LGBT revisionist view that it can be between any two persons regardless of gender.

This fight will never go away. I hope the proponents of the LGBT agenda understand that. We on our side understand it.  This issue isn't analogous to miscegenation laws as proponents try to propose. Completely different issue.  We're on the correct side of the issue of the understanding of the nature of what marriage is.

In the short run we'll probably lose more ground, but in the long run we'll win. Without a doubt.

Don, what do you mean by conjugal nature? I looked up the word conjugal to try and understand your use of it and got this
of or relating to the married state or to married persons and their relations

Also, what do you propose we do then, if gay marriage isn't allowed? For instance I mentioned in another thread, my aunt has a minor form of cancer that could potentially become deadly very quickly. She has been with her partner for over 25 years. If she dies her partner is going to face a huge mess that wouldn't happen if they were able to get married. How would you handle that?

2013-07-02 7:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I don't know what God cares about.  I do know that if God judges people based on who they love, I don't want anything to do with that God.

In my mind, God goes beyond the confines of human emotions and intelligence and would never be so petty.

Do you believe that God created "flawed" humans--that God would create people who feel love for the same sex, but are required to live a life without expressing that love, including marriage?

If you believe that people choose to be gay, it will be impossible for us to have a rational conversation moving forward.

Edited by switch 2013-07-02 7:30 AM
2013-07-02 7:36 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Originally posted by JoshR  Don, what do you mean by conjugal nature? I looked up the word conjugal to try and understand your use of it and got this
Also, what do you propose we do then, if gay marriage isn't allowed? For instance I mentioned in another thread, my aunt has a minor form of cancer that could potentially become deadly very quickly. She has been with her partner for over 25 years. If she dies her partner is going to face a huge mess that wouldn't happen if they were able to get married. How would you handle that?

Intercourse. Authentic marriage includes in its matrix the fecund nature of intercourse in type if not in actuality.

I'm sorry your Aunt has cancer.  These issues of medical decisions and such can be fixed by law without marriage. The LGBT agenda / progressive movement has used them as a trojan horse to get to what they want.

2013-07-02 7:50 AM

User image

Originally posted by switch

I don't know what God cares about.  I do know that if God judges people based on who they love, I don't want anything to do with that God.

In my mind, God goes beyond the confines of human emotions and intelligence and would never be so petty.

Do you believe that God created "flawed" humans--that God would create people who feel love for the same sex, but are required to live a life without expressing that love, including marriage?

If you believe that people choose to be gay, it will be impossible for us to have a rational conversation moving forward.

Love is willing the good for another for their own sake and then doing something to help bring that about.  

Love can take the form of filial love for one another, agape love for God, and erotic love for a spouse.

I think you're talking about erotic love, which is a rich field of understanding to till.

If you don't want anything to do with a God that has rules around erotic love, then that's between you and God.

See switch, here's the confusing thing: you say you don't know what God cares about and then in the very next paragraph you make a claim about God avoiding pettiness. Which is it? Do you know or do you not know?

We're all flawed. I certainly am. We're a fallen people living in a fallen world. Same sex attraction seems to be a mix of nature and nurture, so no I don't think that people choose to have same sex attraction.  However, we all do choose how to act upon our desires. All of us do.  To say that someone with same sex attraction can't control their sexual desires I think is to demean them in a way. We all have free will, and each of us is called to virtue regarding how we master our particular desires that might pull us one way or another.  

You're suggesting that love can only be expressed erotically. I don't agree.  There is also filial love that is expressed as love between friends.

In our culture, we've lost the understanding of the virtue of chastity.  It would be prudent to come to understand again what chastity means. It would be life giving not only to those with same sex attraction, but also clearly for heterosexuals caught up in the "hook up" culture and "fornication as recreation" culture as well. It's in the latter two groups that the problem in the culture is most clearly evident, more so than in those with same sex attraction.

Edited by dontracy 2013-07-02 7:52 AM
2013-07-02 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Love is willing the good for another for their own sake and then doing something to help bring that about.  

Love can take the form of filial love for one another, agape love for God, and erotic love for a spouse.

I think you're talking about erotic love, which is a rich field of understanding to till.

If you don't want anything to do with a God that has rules around erotic love, then that's between you and God.

See switch, here's the confusing thing: you say you don't know what God cares about and then in the very next paragraph you make a claim about God avoiding pettiness. Which is it? Do you know or do you not know?

We're all flawed. I certainly am. We're a fallen people living in a fallen world. Same sex attraction seems to be a mix of nature and nurture, so no I don't think that people choose to have same sex attraction.  However, we all do choose how to act upon our desires. All of us do.  To say that someone with same sex attraction can't control their sexual desires I think is to demean them in a way. We all have free will, and each of us is called to virtue regarding how we master our particular desires that might pull us one way or another.  

You're suggesting that love can only be expressed erotically. I don't agree.  There is also filial love that is expressed as love between friends.

In our culture, we've lost the understanding of the virtue of chastity.  It would be prudent to come to understand again what chastity means. It would be life giving not only to those with same sex attraction, but also clearly for heterosexuals caught up in the hook up culture and fornication as recreation culture as well. It's in the latter two groups that the problem in the culture is most clearly evident, more so than in those with same sex attraction.

Yeah, OK, I'm done here.  Good luck Don.
2013-07-02 8:00 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Originally posted by switchYeah, OK, I'm done here.  Good luck Don.

Thanks, you too!

Please don't be sad.

What I've written I hope show reasonable arguments from a reasonable person; even if you disagree with them.

2013-07-02 8:20 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR  Don, what do you mean by conjugal nature? I looked up the word conjugal to try and understand your use of it and got this

Intercourse. Authentic marriage includes in its matrix the fecund nature of intercourse in type if not in actuality.

I'm sorry your Aunt has cancer.  These issues of medical decisions and such can be fixed by law without marriage. The LGBT agenda / progressive movement has used them as a trojan horse to get to what they want.

My turn for last comments.

The LGBT agenda is equivalent to the woman's suffrage movement is equivalent to the anti-segregation movement. Equal rights under the law for all citizens. Regardless of mob rule, religious views, or personal beliefs.

C-ya.
2013-07-02 8:34 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly  My turn for last comments. The LGBT agenda is equivalent to the woman's suffrage movement is equivalent to the anti-segregation movement. Equal rights under the law for all citizens. Regardless of mob rule, religious views, or personal beliefs. C-ya.

No it's not.

It's too hot in Philly today to burn down straw men though.

Be well.

2013-07-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Do you believe there is sin?

2013-07-02 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

So would you be okay with some sort of a civil union that bestows all of the federal benefits of marriage for same sex couples?
2013-07-02 8:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by JoshR So would you be okay with some sort of a civil union that bestows all of the federal benefits of marriage for same sex couples?

I haven't thought through it enough to give you an answer. Up 'til now, the idea of civil unions has been used as a trojan horse to push through a redefinition of marriage. The progressive movement as usual hasn't been honest.

So before, yes. Now, I don't know.

In the case of your aunt and medical decisions, sure.

2013-07-02 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls

I call shenanigans. Segregation was a fix akin to what you suggest. Full and equal rights under the law without work-arounds, alternatives or, as you put it "fixes" is the foundation of our US constitution. It's high time we recognize that sexual orientation must not be discriminated in any way whatsoever.
2013-07-02 8:54 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by tuwood

Which type of sin are you referencing? I believe there are many different viewpoints on that particular subject.
2013-07-02 8:59 AM

User image

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly My turn for last comments. The LGBT agenda is equivalent to the woman's suffrage movement is equivalent to the anti-segregation movement. Equal rights under the law for all citizens. Regardless of mob rule, religious views, or personal beliefs. C-ya.

It just occurred to me that Brian gives another example of the phenomenon I wrote about earlier.

He's saying in a sense (correct me if I'm wrong Brian, if you're still here) that the LGBT agenda is a moral crusade similar for example to the anti-segregationist movement, and further that there is a moral code that says that there ought to be equal rights under the law.

That's fine.  The notion of equal rights under the law of course comes out of the Judeo/Christian Western culture. It's rooted in a religiously informed notion of the nature of the human person. It was rightly applied to segregation laws.  Our understanding of the dignity of the human person is a religiously informed one, even if we ourselves might not be religious.

The he says essentially to not bring ones religiously informed opinions to the table regarding the LGBT agenda. (forgive me Brian if I put words in your mouth)

So which is it? Can't have it both ways.  

If you want to appeal to the religiously informed opinion of the human person regarding equal protection under the law, then you have to allow for it as well regarding the definition of marriage and other issues regarding human sexuality.  You might disagree with the religiously informed conclusion, that's fine. However, you have to allow it a place at the table and in the public square.

2013-07-02 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

My turn for last comments. The LGBT agenda is equivalent to the woman's suffrage movement is equivalent to the anti-segregation movement. Equal rights under the law for all citizens. Regardless of mob rule, religious views, or personal beliefs. C-ya.

I respectfully disagree.  Women did not have the right to vote and men did.  They did not have equal rights with men and they successfully fought to obtain those rights.

anti-segregation movement was where black citizens (and other minorities) didn't have the right to go to places based on their skin color.  Yet again, they did not have equal rights with white people and they successfully fought to obtain those rights.

Gay people have exactly the same civil rights I do in every level of the constitution.  I know the LGBT agenda has tried to raise SSM to the level of a right, but it is not.  Rights are individual by nature and I'll even quote the Huffington Post:
Rephrasing gay marriage as a civil rights issue is a brilliant public relations move. Yet, it commits a logical error by categorizing marriage as an individual right, something that it never was previously.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/is-gay-marriage-a-civil-r_b_3202695.html

Now when it comes to marriage or civil unions which is merely a recognition by the government that two people (currently man and women in most states) have entered into a legal agreement that entitles them to certain benefits.  Yet again, gay people have the exact same entitlements, in that they have the ability to marry somebody of the opposite sex just like I do.  I don't have the ability to marry the same sex either, so the argument for equal "rights" isn't correct.

What the gay community is really asking for is special rights, in that they want to marry people of the same sex, which nobody (straight or gay) up to this point was allowed to do.

I'm not specifically directing this at you Brian, but I get a little annoyed by the "equal rights" argument because I feel it's demeaning to the people who truly suffered through the oppression of their individual rights in our history.

2013-07-02 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by JoshR

Which type of sin are you referencing? I believe there are many different viewpoints on that particular subject.

I was mostly directing the question to Switch because I'm curious.

The definition of Sin is an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.

2013-07-02 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by powerman 

What will be won?

In the long run, the conjugal nature of marriage will be understood to be true.  The traditional/authentic understanding will win out over the revisionist understanding.

If you mean conjugal to mean for the purpose of offspring, there are several arguments that does not apply to opposite sex marriages. If that was the case, then the federal government should only be giving benefits to married couple that produce offspring. There are "dependent" benefits... but that also applies to grandparents.

The "thruth" is "traditional" may be the proper word to use.... but "authentic" does nto apply. "Revisionist" does not apply either. It is a nice buzz word, but the "truth" is, many laws can be changed if the people want. The Constitution can be changed if the people want... it is not a "revisionist" Constitution, it is only an amended one of which we currently have.

The fact is gay marriage only applies to a small percentage of the population, and just because it is legal in some places, does not mean I am going to go out and marry a man. Even if one views homosexuality as "immoral", it still changes nothing to society. One is still able to practice the morals he/she feels are important to them every second of every day.

2013-07-02 9:31 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by powerman That is not at all what the DOMA decision said... it said the Federal government can discriminate against one group and not another based on the 5th and 14 amendment. It most certainly CAN disallow benefits to gay couple and hetero couple alike.

And it did not strike down DOMA, just that clause, and I agree with that... based purely on law. If a certain portion of the population do not want to see gay couple getting benefits, then they need to petition the government to cat all benefits. Makes sense to me.

I agree with you to a point.

In its decision, the SCOTUS disregarded the conjugal nature of traditional/authentic marriage and sided with the revisionist interpretation.  If the revisionist version is true, then yes DOMA was unconstitutional based on the 14th amendment. If the conjugal version is true, then DOMA is not unconstitutional.

That's my understanding.

You are attaching a "moral" standing to marriage. On a legal standing, there is no way the Federal government can give benefits to one state's idea of marriage, and not to another state's idea to marriage. It is the state that gave power to the marriage in the first place, the the Federal government has nothing to do with it.So if the feds recognise one states license, then it has to regognise all.

And this is a very simple problem to solve... just get rid of all benefits for marriage. People can enter into social contracts all they want, and assign powers of attourney for all their affairs. If people of faith feel the need to affirm that relationship before all ansd God, then they are free to do that when ever they want.

2013-07-02 9:33 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Originally posted by powerman One is still able to practice the morals he/she feels are important to them every second of every day.

No, the mob is coming. Religious liberty is currently under attack and it will only get worse before it gets better.

(Regarding your first point, I stated in an earlier post that the conjugal nature of marriage is within a matrix that is fecund in type if not in actuality. )

2013-07-02 9:34 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by JoshR  Also, what do you propose we do then, if gay marriage isn't allowed? For instance I mentioned in another thread, my aunt has a minor form of cancer that could potentially become deadly very quickly. She has been with her partner for over 25 years. If she dies her partner is going to face a huge mess that wouldn't happen if they were able to get married. How would you handle that?

I know you asked Don, but you mentioned this before. Powers of attorney, and a will solves most of the problems. The only problem it does not solve is survivor benefits. My wife gets death benefits, but my "friend" does not. So that would be wrong for SS or pension benefits, or benificiaries that need to be "family".

2013-07-02 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

My turn for last comments. The LGBT agenda is equivalent to the woman's suffrage movement is equivalent to the anti-segregation movement. Equal rights under the law for all citizens. Regardless of mob rule, religious views, or personal beliefs. C-ya.

I respectfully disagree.  Women did not have the right to vote and men did.  They did not have equal rights with men and they successfully fought to obtain those rights.

anti-segregation movement was where black citizens (and other minorities) didn't have the right to go to places based on their skin color.  Yet again, they did not have equal rights with white people and they successfully fought to obtain those rights.

Gay people have exactly the same civil rights I do in every level of the constitution.  I know the LGBT agenda has tried to raise SSM to the level of a right, but it is not.  Rights are individual by nature and I'll even quote the Huffington Post:
Rephrasing gay marriage as a civil rights issue is a brilliant public relations move. Yet, it commits a logical error by categorizing marriage as an individual right, something that it never was previously.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/is-gay-marriage-a-civil-r_b_3202695.html

Now when it comes to marriage or civil unions which is merely a recognition by the government that two people (currently man and women in most states) have entered into a legal agreement that entitles them to certain benefits.  Yet again, gay people have the exact same entitlements, in that they have the ability to marry somebody of the opposite sex just like I do.  I don't have the ability to marry the same sex either, so the argument for equal "rights" isn't correct.

What the gay community is really asking for is special rights, in that they want to marry people of the same sex, which nobody (straight or gay) up to this point was allowed to do.

I'm not specifically directing this at you Brian, but I get a little annoyed by the "equal rights" argument because I feel it's demeaning to the people who truly suffered through the oppression of their individual rights in our history.

I get every point of your argument......and then I start asking myself why it makes a difference to anyone or anything if Jenny marries Bill or Jenny marries Kathy or Bill marries Joe.  I guess there may be hundreds or thousands of marriages a day in this country.....for the most part I don't kow about any of them....so why do I care?  Two people love each other, they get married, the live their lives together....who gives a rats arse what sex they are.  I have no idea why this has to be a complicated issue.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-07-02 9:36 AM

2013-07-02 9:38 AM

User image

Originally posted by powerman And this is a very simple problem to solve... just get rid of all benefits for marriage. People can enter into social contracts all they want, and assign powers of attourney for all their affairs. If people of faith feel the need to affirm that relationship before all ansd God, then they are free to do that when ever they want.

I may end up agreeing with you on this one. I'm still thinking through it and haven't reached a conclusion.

Going forward, the Catholic Church may vary well decline to be proxy for civil marriage. Can't do it in good conscience if the definition of marriage is in conflict with the Church's understanding of what marriage is.

If that happens, then it will raise the question of whether a Catholic in good conscience can have a civil marriage at all.

Now comes the issue of religious liberty again. Will the state force a Catholic to adopt its version of marriage, even if that version contradicts the Catholic's belief. At that point, do we have a 1st amendment issue regarding the establishment of a religion, in this case secular humanism.

So lots of unintended consequences coming down the pike.  Your solution may be the one that's needed in the short run.

Edited by dontracy 2013-07-02 9:39 AM
2013-07-02 9:53 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly My turn for last comments. The LGBT agenda is equivalent to the woman's suffrage movement is equivalent to the anti-segregation movement. Equal rights under the law for all citizens. Regardless of mob rule, religious views, or personal beliefs. C-ya.

It just occurred to me that Brian gives another example of the phenomenon I wrote about earlier.

He's saying in a sense (correct me if I'm wrong Brian, if you're still here) that the LGBT agenda is a moral crusade similar for example to the anti-segregationist movement, and further that there is a moral code that says that there ought to be equal rights under the law.

That's fine.  The notion of equal rights under the law of course comes out of the Judeo/Christian Western culture. It's rooted in a religiously informed notion of the nature of the human person. It was rightly applied to segregation laws.  Our understanding of the dignity of the human person is a religiously informed one, even if we ourselves might not be religious.

The he says essentially to not bring ones religiously informed opinions to the table regarding the LGBT agenda. (forgive me Brian if I put words in your mouth)

If you want to appeal to the religiously informed opinion of the human person regarding equal protection under the law, then you have to allow for it as well regarding the definition of marriage and other issues regarding human sexuality.  You might disagree with the religiously informed conclusion, that's fine. However, you have to allow it a place at the table and in the public square.

That would work great if this was a theocracy. Help me understand Don. If you want to argue the religious standing on SSM then you win. I mean that is what is held by most religious people. So we write it into law and we are done. Obviously, what aligns with your beliefs works for you.

Yet we don't live in a theocracy, we live in a democratic Republic. It is a form of government so we can all get along in a country. When we decide to do that, then there are going to be some things not everyone agrees on... so we default to individual freedom under the law. That is the Constitution we have. That individual rights trump mob rule. Shacking up with my girlfriend is not against the law. I can look at all the porn I want. And however I choose to live and how much sin I like, has nothing to do with your freedom to live your life however you see fit based on your beliefs... unless somehow I infringe on your rights. And me freely engaging in sin does not infringe on your freedom to practice your religion.

And obviously we can get into the whole argument of society giving into sin and denying God and that whole thing... but that is what has happened since Adam. We live in a world of sin as fallen people. All you can do about it is conduct your life the way you see fit... and sure you can try push laws that align with your faith, but in the big picture it is already written it does not end well.

So then what to do about it... well back to individual freedom to live one's life how they see fit, garanteed by the Constitution. And if the Federal government is going to assign benefits for one, it must to all. The very fact there is "traditional" marriage recognised by governemnt, is the very thing that is going to make the Federal government recognise all marriage under the law.

2013-07-02 10:04 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman And this is a very simple problem to solve... just get rid of all benefits for marriage. People can enter into social contracts all they want, and assign powers of attourney for all their affairs. If people of faith feel the need to affirm that relationship before all ansd God, then they are free to do that when ever they want.

I may end up agreeing with you on this one. I'm still thinking through it and haven't reached a conclusion.

Going forward, the Catholic Church may vary well decline to be proxy for civil marriage. Can't do it in good conscience if the definition of marriage is in conflict with the Church's understanding of what marriage is.

If that happens, then it will raise the question of whether a Catholic in good conscience can have a civil marriage at all.

Now comes the issue of religious liberty again. Will the state force a Catholic to adopt its version of marriage, even if that version contradicts the Catholic's belief. At that point, do we have a 1st amendment issue regarding the establishment of a religion, in this case secular humanism.

So lots of unintended consequences coming down the pike.  Your solution may be the one that's needed in the short run.

OK, so I am married... I say that more as a matter of convienience. Everyone understands what that means. Yet My marriage has nothing to do with "God" with me, or my wife.

If you want to take the ownership of the word "marriage" for the church, then ok, it's all yours. I don't care. So what do I call myself now... coupled, unioned, legally joined, contracted? I do not know what we call it... but for say you (assuming) that was "married" before God.... now you need to go file a contract with the state to assign benefits and assets. In fact all "married" people need to file "unioned" contracts with the state to be recognised and legally joined in life.

At that point, "marriage" is nothing more than a ceremony to those of faith to affirm their commitment before God. I do not see the Catholic Church being forced to do anything, because unless you are Catholic, who would want to be married? And even gay Catholics could not be "married" by the Church, or forced to be, because marriage has no legal standing. The same way churches can excommunicate you if you do not hold to the principles of the faith.

2013-07-02 10:15 AM

User image

Pro

Yes, you did put words in my mouth. Don, I was not speaking about morality in any sense. I am strictly referring to legal rights. Whether or not I believe in the morality of same-sex marriage is not the argument I was attempting to make. I do believe that is the domain of our religious institutions, which are entitled under the law to choose whether or not they will perform a same-sex marriage. And that's how I believe it should stand. I want government to stay out of my bedroom AND out of my synagogue.

If that makes me a religious secular humanist I can live with that
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Justices rule on SSM Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 2306 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : October 2, 2005
author : ChiRunning
In order to improve your running efficiency and enjoy that last leg of every race, there are three important “rules of the road” to follow.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
Motivation can be hard to come by some days. Here are a few things I have learned to help stay focused.

date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.