General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories counting...how religious are u? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-26 5:31 PM

Veteran
Subject: Calories counting...how religious are u?
I'm 47 and slim built...~62kg...but at my age a bit of belly flab. I have been seeing a nutritionist both to get a leaner body to improve performance and address tiredness as I prepare for some long course races....besides who wouldn't like to look better with the hours of training we put in!

I am getting obsessed with logging everything I eat .... Are there many others there like me ?

Note...it has helped me lose 3kg and I feel stronger on rides and runs....

2013-06-26 5:56 PM
in reply to: getfitfast

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Calories counting...how religious are u?
I too track everything I eat.  It started when I, like you, wanted to get rid of some of the body fat and it really worked.  There are a lot of apps out there for your smart phone that make it easy to track calories in from food and calories out from exercise.  It gave me structure and really made me aware of not only the calories I was taking in, but what they consisted of.  Now, training for a HIM, I'm using the same app to make sure I get ENOUGH calories during the week to account for the training load, and it has made a huge difference as you say, on the rides and runs.
2013-06-26 10:53 PM
in reply to: TTom

Veteran
Originally posted by TTom

I too track everything I eat.  It started when I, like you, wanted to get rid of some of the body fat and it really worked.  There are a lot of apps out there for your smart phone that make it easy to track calories in from food and calories out from exercise.  It gave me structure and really made me aware of not only the calories I was taking in, but what they consisted of.  Now, training for a HIM, I'm using the same app to make sure I get ENOUGH calories during the week to account for the training load, and it has made a huge difference as you say, on the rides and runs.

Hi TTom..any preferred applications?

I am struggling with energy levels on what my nutritionist as recommended...

For example, 35min swim yesterday morning..was careful what I ate during the day...went home and did a 1 hour run....caved in and ate too much for dinner...got up on the morning...70min wind trainer set...had protien shake, porridge and toast for breakfast, Yogurt and fruit for morning snacks and then headed out for a 1 hour run,,,,felt a bit faint during the run...

Being a vego....and trying to control carbs is proving to be really hard with nearly 12 hours of training a week...
2013-06-27 8:30 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
How religious am I? Regarding calorie counting I suppose that'd make me an atheist currently, or at least agnostic. I have counted calories before when I've had slumps just to make sure I'm eating enough. I've used the Livestrong app online and the mobile version. They've got a ton of already input foods in there. Only real downside to it is having to manually input new foods or recipes you make yourself.

We'll see if Tom has a better suggestion if his method of counting does that.

Did your nutritionist make suggestions as to what kind of calories (ratio of carbs/fats/proteins) to eat for your training load or simply a total calorie count?
2013-06-28 6:00 PM
in reply to: funkj25

Veteran
Originally posted by funkj25

How religious am I? Regarding calorie counting I suppose that'd make me an atheist currently, or at least agnostic. I have counted calories before when I've had slumps just to make sure I'm eating enough. I've used the Livestrong app online and the mobile version. They've got a ton of already input foods in there. Only real downside to it is having to manually input new foods or recipes you make yourself.

We'll see if Tom has a better suggestion if his method of counting does that.

Did your nutritionist make suggestions as to what kind of calories (ratio of carbs/fats/proteins) to eat for your training load or simply a total calorie count?

Yes I have been give # of servicing of each food type..i.e

- 6 servicing of carbs...each serving being around 15 gram
- 2.5 protein
- 2 fruit
- 2 dairy
- 5 veg
- 3 fats
- 1 extra

All this with a plan of 60 mins training. I do more than this and he has told me to add a couple more carbs on larger training days...

With this plan I am quickly into deficit when I do more than 2.5 hours of training...
2013-07-03 3:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Sounds too tedious for my liking. Check out the renegade diet: http://choppysreviews.com/the-renegade-diet/

Edited by ChipPaulson 2013-07-03 3:55 AM

2013-07-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: ChipPaulson

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by ChipPaulson

Sounds too tedious for my liking. Check out the renegade diet: http://choppysreviews.com/the-renegade-diet/

Affiliate link much? At least contribute to the conversation first, sheesh. And as if the "renegade diet" isn't tedious.

Anyway I'd say if you're getting too far into a calorie deficit then do what comes naturally, eat. The goal in losing weight is that you'll have a deficit so that you'll be burning fat off, but if your deficit is too great then your body can switch to chomping on your lean muscle for energy which is a setback.

Did your nutritionist mention anything about consuming Omega-3's to help out with your weight loss? Historically its been recommended just by taking fish oil pills (of which the quality varies greatly so do your research). However, actually consuming Omega-3's from a natural source your body can take them from without them being refined (i.e. eating the actual fish like salmon, flax seed meal, etc.) makes you use the Omega-3's more readily. The neat thing about O-3's is that they doing what's called "fuel partitioning. It tells your body to more readily convert the carbs you're eating into glycogen giving you more energy from the food you already consume, plus signals the body to burn extra fat as body heat.

That's my two bits for now. Keep us updated on what's going on.
2013-07-05 2:40 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by getfitfast
Originally posted by TTom I too track everything I eat.  It started when I, like you, wanted to get rid of some of the body fat and it really worked.  There are a lot of apps out there for your smart phone that make it easy to track calories in from food and calories out from exercise.  It gave me structure and really made me aware of not only the calories I was taking in, but what they consisted of.  Now, training for a HIM, I'm using the same app to make sure I get ENOUGH calories during the week to account for the training load, and it has made a huge difference as you say, on the rides and runs.
Hi TTom..any preferred applications? I am struggling with energy levels on what my nutritionist as recommended... For example, 35min swim yesterday morning..was careful what I ate during the day...went home and did a 1 hour run....caved in and ate too much for dinner...got up on the morning...70min wind trainer set...had protien shake, porridge and toast for breakfast, Yogurt and fruit for morning snacks and then headed out for a 1 hour run,,,,felt a bit faint during the run... Being a vego....and trying to control carbs is proving to be really hard with nearly 12 hours of training a week...

I've been using My Fitness Pal and I've been fairly successful with it. (myfitnesspal.com)I log everything.   When we go out to a chinese restaurant (they just call them restaurants here! I just have to guess, for the most part.  But everything else I'm eating is getting logged.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories counting...how religious are u? Rss Feed