General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-race jitters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-26 9:13 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Pre-race jitters
I have been racing for three years, starting with running, and now into my second season of triathlon. I have always gotten giddy with excitement before races, but never nervous. But for the past two races (a sprint two weeks ago and now an Oly for this coming Saturday) I have gotten jitters, like nervous jitters. These are not even A races for me, just fun ones. What the heck? What gives? What do you guys do about them?

I am worried that if this is how I am feeling for these races, I might $h*t myself come my first 70.3 in August!

2013-06-26 9:58 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

New user
Green Bay
Subject: RE: Pre-race jitters
I've had the same issue lately in year 4. I think it's my own self imposed greater expectations. I fear not doing as well as last year. I think the jitters are good unless you freak out....
2013-06-27 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I'm always nervous before a race, doesn't matter where or what it is.

At triathlons I like to get in the water before the start, swim out away from the crowd and float on my back, just breathing deeply. Always seems to relax me.

Ken
2013-06-27 11:06 AM
in reply to: wisconmd

User image

Expert
McAllen
Originally posted by wisconmd

I've had the same issue lately in year 4. I think it's my own self imposed greater expectations. I fear not doing as well as last year. I think the jitters are good unless you freak out....

Same here. Maybe your expectation is to have too much fun and you get nervous about linking your amount of fun to the performance you wanna do? =P You'll do awesome in the upcoming 70.3. There isn't any study that says amount of nervousness increases with distance for veterans so you got dis!
2013-06-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: odpaul7

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I've been racing for 35 years and still get a little nervous for certain races.  I find that for me there is a direct relationship between nerves and expectations for the race.  I don't get any more nervous for a small, local running race than I do for a workout.  There is always a joyful anticipation at the start which is kind of like going to Disneyland for the first time.  I am all smiles at the start of most races.

I do many running races throughout the year so I know if I don't do well there is always the next race.  But even though I swim/bike train all year I only do a handful of tri's a year so my expectations get bottled into a very few events relative to the preparation that goes into it.  This causes a lot more anxiety in me.  I usually start focusing on an early June HIM in January so I've got 5 months of prep and planning that goes into that one day.  I'm happy but definitely have some jitters.  Keeping track of all my gear contributes to it.  I had to change a tire shortly before the start of my last IM and pinch flatted it.  I broke into a cold sweat until the next tube held.  I was still nervous about it in T1.

I do not think there is really a lot one can go about eliminating these feeling but I don't think I'd want to either.

2013-06-28 10:44 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas
I think if you don't get nervous - something is wrong with you. Even pro athletes get jitters before games / events, & they've reached the pinnacle of their athletic profession. Me, I can't sleep for sh-- the night before - all I think about is the race. Once the gun goes off though - it's time to get to work, and my adrenaline gets goin'. I love it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-race jitters Rss Feed