General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on touch? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 6:54 AM

Subject: Pain on touch?
Hi I have had a couple of months in hospital, trying to build up my fitness but today my legs and arm muscles hurt even to touch, should I rest or is this part of 'getting back' and I should push past it? I don't mind it being tough for a few weeks if it will pay off. Advice gratefully received I'm desperate to feel fit again and get an event in this season , I'm so sad to have missed so much already.

2013-06-27 7:27 AM
in reply to: loops

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Pain on touch?

you'll be fit again.  Take your time.  you can only push your body to adapt so quickly.

If your muscles are so sore from exercising that it hurts to touch them, then you probably just overdid it.  So, right now they need to recover, so they get stronger when they rebuild and you can challenge them again.  Most advise "active" recovery rather than pure rest.  Keep them moving, easy cycling, walking, stretch and massage/roll.  Think more about getting the blood to flow through them than stressing them more right now.  they'll feel better and stronger in a few days  

enjoy your journey back

2013-06-27 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4789150

Thank you, it's encouraging that your certain ill get fitness back
2013-06-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Originally posted by morey000

you'll be fit again.  Take your time.  you can only push your body to adapt so quickly.

If your muscles are so sore from exercising that it hurts to touch them, then you probably just overdid it.  So, right now they need to recover, so they get stronger when they rebuild and you can challenge them again.  Most advise "active" recovery rather than pure rest.  Keep them moving, easy cycling, walking, stretch and massage/roll.  Think more about getting the blood to flow through them than stressing them more right now.  they'll feel better and stronger in a few days  

enjoy your journey back

that being said, if the soreness lasts for more than a couple of days - especially if focused on a specific area, I would consider getting it checked out
2013-06-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

No matter what it is going to take some time to build back up.  Does your illness/injury itself result in any lingering effects?  That could play a big role in what type of fitness schedule you should be pushing and possibly some of the discomforts you are feeling.

Four years ago, while prepping for my third HIM of the season I had major surgery, radiation therapy, and chemo that put me in the hospital for almost two months over a six month period.  My fitness plan started with getting out of bed and walking to the door and back.  It was not easy.

It was late spring when I was done with treatments and was able to run a 5k about two months later.  I was pretty slow but got through it.  I was on something like a couch to 5k plan.  It was a little frustrating but I was just so glad to be able to run again.  There were times earlier when that was in doubt (everything was in doubt actually).  The rest of the season was a very slow return to fitness and I didn't feel normal for quite a few months.  You just have to progress at the rate your body allows you to.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  You may have missed some things but sounds like you have the capability to eventually get to where you want to be and that in itself is a great gift.  Good luck.

Edited by popsracer 2013-06-27 1:19 PM
2013-06-27 1:28 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

What I do, or "My unprofessional advice" about muscle soreness after activity:

If I warm up, and the pain goes away, I complete the workout.   This is very common for most things.  I have had that pain to the touch problem, and even then this usually works.   I generally avoid any more stressful workout, like I could do an aerobic run versus anything strengthening.

If it doesn't, I stop the workout and rest more.

If it lasts more than two full days without improvement I rest  and start to wonder.  If I saw anything like a bruise or increased sensitivity I would see the doctor. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain on touch? Rss Feed