General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Rough is the Diamond really? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 9:16 AM

User image

Subject: How Rough is the Diamond really?
I have read several race reports for Diamond in the Rough and all of them sound like a little taste of hell. Is it really that bad? I'm not a strong swimmer and this would be my first international distance race.

What's the general consensus on heat/water temp/wetsuit legality/HILLS on the bike course/etc. etc.?

Thanks!

Patti in NJ

2013-07-01 1:55 AM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Olney
Subject: RE: How Rough is the Diamond really?
I (and my wife) found it to be my own little slice of hell. BUT, that was only because last year it fell on one of the hottest days of the year.

Other then that, it is a well run and organized race. It is a nice fresh water swim, hilly bike, and a flat out and back run on a nice paved trail. All open water swimming seems about the same for me until you get into the ocean. If you have done other OWS I would not have an issue saying this is a fun swim.

Steve
2013-07-01 1:34 PM
in reply to: svennn

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I live near the course but have never done the race but know people who have so take this for what its worth:

July in MD in Hot and Humid! there is no way around it unless you have an unseasonably cool day. I think what makes this course so difficult is the heat. The bike course is challenging and pretty hilly. Overall I think the heat and time of year just make this race so difficult. If you are going to do it just make sure to hydrate alot and practice your pacing.

2013-07-03 8:26 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Oh, so the water is not choppy like the ocean??? Why did I assume it would be - I suppose because it is at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay... Does it usually go wetsuit legal? Yes, I'm a swim wuss!

Patti
2013-07-05 8:59 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

Let me start by saying I am not a great swimmer. I have not read the race reports you referenced but the swim is actually fairly calm. I would not classify the water as choppy nor is there a strong current. The onl caveat for this year would be the amount of rain we have had lately. This could make the current stronger than usual. The Susq is higher than normal right now. As for the bike course, I would say it is a challenging course but fun. It has some hills & flats, so there is a bit of everything. The run is flat. Overall, the race is a pretty good race. Oh, one last thing about the swim, I would be surprised if it is wetsuit legal.
2013-07-07 4:10 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

I'm gonna keep to my plan and do it. I am a slow swimmer but I am not a scared swimmer, I just don't want to be embarrassed but keep in mind I fell off my bike going into T2 at yesterday's race so I suppose worrying about stuff like that is a waste of time. I am using it as my intro to international distance because I am doing the Olympic distance race in Milwaukee in August.

Thank you for your opinions everyone! You really helped me make my decision!!!!

Patti in NJ

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Rough is the Diamond really? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Diamond In The Rough Tri Perryville, MD

Started by jsselle
Views: 1463 Posts: 5

2010-07-11 9:12 AM SquatSauce

Perryville - Diamond in the Rough Bike Course

Started by SquatSauce
Views: 845 Posts: 1

2010-06-08 5:23 PM SquatSauce

Saturday AM Ride in Frederick

Started by jsselle
Views: 1007 Posts: 6

2010-05-16 5:34 PM JoshKaptur

Trail run Saturday 01/30 (am) Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 2106 Posts: 29

2010-01-29 2:22 PM SCamp07

Diamond in the Rough (Perryville, MD)

Started by wyecrab
Views: 2041 Posts: 24

2005-07-07 8:03 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.