General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting back in shape sucks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: Getting back in shape sucks
Just thought I'd share my frustration.. and my joy, actualy...

I had to take a break from all training mid last year due to a trifecta of injuries to my achilles tendon, knee, and shoulder... all just overuse type of stuff. It was pretty depressing at first, but I filled in the gaps in my schedule with new hobbies such as playing the guitar. I have slowly started training again and started with running in Feb... and Biking and swmming more recently. Achilles and knee are feeling good, but my shoulder is still letting me know not to go too hard.

On the whole, it's great to be training again, but what sucks is how much fitness I lost. At first, I could Barely run 2 miles... I'm finally up to 7 or 8 mles and my paces are inching down, but are still at the point where I was 2 yrs ago.. That's the part that sucks the most. I worked damn hard to be able to run a 5K in 21:30 and now barely can do 24 min. That being said, I focus on the positive... I'm running pain free.

I know if I stay on course, and not be in a hurry, I'll get back to where I was and maybe keep getting stronger, faster, but I don't want to obsess about it. I think obssessing just makes it harder overall.

Best!

Edited by ecpasos 2013-06-27 1:41 PM

2013-06-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Getting back in shape sucks
Actually, getting out of shape sucks.....getting back in shape is cool.
2013-06-27 1:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Yeah... great point! You're 100% right.
2013-06-27 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Amen to that.
I find it particularly hard since I am so far off my peak times and getting to the age where I will not likely ever beat my previous PBs.
I've also done the full distance (IM) so that is no longer as motivating.
I find that trying to hold off being outpaced by my growing kids is a good motivation to train.

2013-06-27 2:19 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Again, bright side stuff (now I need Monty Python singing in the back ground).

I kind of like it that 30-60 minutes is a real workout and does something for me.  Mid IM training, that seemed like a warmup.  These days, 30 minute runs do as much for me as 90 minute runs did 6 months ago.

2013-06-27 2:21 PM

User image

Talking about shape....
I had been out of shape throughout my young adult/adult life.

So getting in even just a little tiny bitty shape makes me happy now.

2013-06-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: Lynn00

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'd love to be able to do a 24 min 5K.  Everything is relative.

Good luck on your journey back.

Mark

2013-06-27 2:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
PNW
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I'd love to be able to do a 24 min 5K.  Everything is relative.

Good luck on your journey back.

Mark

And I've love to be able to run pain free!

I took 2012 off due to an injury and subsequent surgery and rehab and though i'm slowing starting to run again (a year later), it still hurts like a mofo. And not just because I'm out of shape...the foot hurts.

I'm also trying to look on the bright side - at least I can bike without pain!

Keep up the good work - you'll get there.

Edited by GLC1968 2013-06-27 2:53 PM
2013-06-28 12:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Enrique, sorry to hear you've been dealing with so much injury lately. I've been struggling with a foot injury for almost a year now... I keep trying to come back to training, and it keeps flaring up. So frustrating. I'm trying to a 12 week half marathon cycle now and am pretty optimistic, but it is hard to be thinking about goal times that would have been easy a year or two ago. I think you're right though that we have to just enjoy the process and the sport and let the results come as they will. And they will come, eventually, with consistent training.

BTW, I'm headed back to Vineman this year to volunteer. I'm sure that will bring on some nostalgia. You should think about coming out...
2013-06-28 5:43 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I feel your pain. I had mono last year and so I lost TONS of fitness and gained weight. Finally got the weight off but I lost lots of power and speed. I have resigned myself to that this year is just about getting back into the sport and letting go of the times - will work more on speed next year.

And then I also remind myself that this is a hobby, I do it to be healthy (and so I can eat more
2013-06-28 6:21 AM

User image

New user
This makes me realize how working out pain-free is so difficult in endurance sports. Seems like we're constantly challenged to push ourselves to the limit, but at the same time, keeping ourselves free of injury. I guess it's just nature's way of telling us to "slow down".

2013-06-28 7:15 AM

User image

Regular
I feel the same way. I was down for 6 months with a herniated disc in my neck. Its tough to get back and I am still not back to where I was a year ago, but just happy to be able to do what I enjoy. I do this for myself, not for podiums, medals, etc. If I can only run 91/2 min miles, so be it. Its better than not running at all.
2013-06-28 8:38 AM
in reply to: hessma

I enjoy getting back into shape. It sucks realizing what you lost, but nothing like steady massive improvements in a short time. Then you're back to where you were, and struggling for minor improvements.
2013-06-28 9:56 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Master
MidWest

Enrique,

I completely understand the out-of-shape sucks thing!  I thought I was dong ok (not great, but better than nothing) until I got my results back from a health screening.  I'm not doing tris anymore and Mike and I are separated so my stress level is wreaking havoc on my exercise. 

I'm glad to see you get back at it.

2013-06-28 10:06 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
/* raises hand */
Another one here struggling with recurring foot pain, and recalling wistfully the peaks of IM training when, for a brief time, I could manage a 24 min. 5k. Like someone else also posted, I've been filling the void with other hobbies too and have almost finished getting a pilot's license. I really want to get running again though!
2013-07-08 1:17 PM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by neweyes

Hey Enrique, sorry to hear you've been dealing with so much injury lately. I've been struggling with a foot injury for almost a year now... I keep trying to come back to training, and it keeps flaring up. So frustrating. I'm trying to a 12 week half marathon cycle now and am pretty optimistic, but it is hard to be thinking about goal times that would have been easy a year or two ago. I think you're right though that we have to just enjoy the process and the sport and let the results come as they will. And they will come, eventually, with consistent training.

BTW, I'm headed back to Vineman this year to volunteer. I'm sure that will bring on some nostalgia. You should think about coming out...

Hey Michael, sorry to hear about your foot, but it sounds like you're over that and, like me, getting back that lost fitness. I would volunteer for the Vineman but I plan to be out of town that weekend. Are you in California now? I see you're doing some runs in San Francisco.

2013-07-09 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ecpasos

Hey Michael, sorry to hear about your foot, but it sounds like you're over that and, like me, getting back that lost fitness. I would volunteer for the Vineman but I plan to be out of town that weekend. Are you in California now? I see you're doing some runs in San Francisco.

I am in California. I moved to Davis last fall to start my PhD. I didn't realize you were so close. Do you ride Diablo often? I did that a few months ago with some friends. It's a good climb. I'm looking forward to trying Mix Canyon soon. I'm actually going to be in your neck of the woods in a couple months for a 10k: http://www.recreationconnectioninc.com/#/contra_loma/
2013-07-09 3:30 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
MA

I went from doing an IM every year to doing nothing due to surgery, injury and illness and been off for 20 months. I haven't done much since IMFL 2011, but finally am able to ride and swim. I don't time myself, don't use my power meter, just try to enjoy biking and swimming. I'm not running as it would likely mean a knee replacement in next few years.

Being out of the sport was mentally difficult and I went through stages.  I doubt I will ever get back to where I was fitness wise and I have had to readjust my goals.

I did sign up for an Oly AB and am considering signing up for a sprint AB..need to accept I will be slower than normal and do it for fun....not sure if participating and being slow will be positive for me.

2013-07-17 11:28 PM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

I am in California. I moved to Davis last fall to start my PhD. I didn't realize you were so close. Do you ride Diablo often? I did that a few months ago with some friends. It's a good climb. I'm looking forward to trying Mix Canyon soon. I'm actually going to be in your neck of the woods in a couple months for a 10k: http://www.recreationconnectioninc.com/#/contra_loma/

Davis?! Nice. My sister-in-law is up there at Davis getting her Bachelors. Yes, I live near Mt Diablo so I ride it, but mostly on my mountain bike. There are some really nice trails up there. I see the mountain from my house. It's only a 20 min drive. Funny you mention the run at Contra Loma. That's literally a 5 minute drive from me. I wanted to do that one and put it in my schedule, but it turns out my wife planned for us to go to Vegas with her cousin so that weekend's out. If something changes though, I'm be there, especially knowing that you'll be there too.

Next month, I'm doing the Folsom Intl Tri up there in Sac Town. Well, be well! Hope that foot heals up quickly!

Enrique
2013-07-17 11:29 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by KathyG

I went from doing an IM every year to doing nothing due to surgery, injury and illness and been off for 20 months. I haven't done much since IMFL 2011, but finally am able to ride and swim. I don't time myself, don't use my power meter, just try to enjoy biking and swimming. I'm not running as it would likely mean a knee replacement in next few years.

Being out of the sport was mentally difficult and I went through stages.  I doubt I will ever get back to where I was fitness wise and I have had to readjust my goals.

I did sign up for an Oly AB and am considering signing up for a sprint AB..need to accept I will be slower than normal and do it for fun....not sure if participating and being slow will be positive for me.

I think your quote says it all... Find joy in the journey!!
2013-07-18 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Yeah getting back in shape is hard especially as you get older.  But think of the positives that you are now getting healthy again and most likely the time off playing the guitar and resting is exactly what you needed to jump-start yourself back to fitness.  Give it some time and you'll likely be surging past the "old you".  If this stuff were easy, everyone would fast and in shape.

2013-07-18 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ecpasos

Davis?! Nice. My sister-in-law is up there at Davis getting her Bachelors. Yes, I live near Mt Diablo so I ride it, but mostly on my mountain bike. There are some really nice trails up there. I see the mountain from my house. It's only a 20 min drive. Funny you mention the run at Contra Loma. That's literally a 5 minute drive from me. I wanted to do that one and put it in my schedule, but it turns out my wife planned for us to go to Vegas with her cousin so that weekend's out. If something changes though, I'm be there, especially knowing that you'll be there too.

Next month, I'm doing the Folsom Intl Tri up there in Sac Town. Well, be well! Hope that foot heals up quickly!

Enrique

That's funny. I'm sure we'll end up at a race together sometime soon. Enjoy Vegas in August. ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting back in shape sucks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Body shape, not getting lean

Started by getfitfast
Views: 1730 Posts: 11

2011-05-11 5:42 PM getfitfast

Base workout ??'s -trying to get back into shape-

Started by kBirken
Views: 1131 Posts: 10

2010-01-04 6:02 PM AdventureBear

I suck at getting up early in the morning Pages: 1 2 3

Started by GaryGnu
Views: 3856 Posts: 65

2009-07-18 6:58 AM tntexpres

07 sucked, 08 is shaping up to be better

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 1299 Posts: 11

2007-12-19 7:29 AM graceful_dave

This getting in shape thing is expensive.

Started by CVSURF
Views: 876 Posts: 10

2005-09-06 7:59 PM RedCorvette
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 0
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."