Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-06-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: mmrocker13

New user
Subject: RE: Question for Parents of older Teens
Originally posted by mmrocker13

Originally posted by tuwood

This one is easy.  Don't pay for their college and then you don't have to worry about what they do.  ;-)

That's what we're doing.

That's similar to what my family did--I had a set small amount of $ set aside for me after graduation. That was mine to do whatever I wanted. I could put it toward paying a portion of basketweaving, acting lessons, buying a bike, travelling, an Ivy league school and engineering degree, hookers and blow, whatever. But all expenses beyond that amount of $, I was on my own.

In the end, I earned scholarships to cover my tuition, worked, and then had that $ to help a bit in paying rent/books/etc.

We have five children and live in an area with really crappy public schools, so all of them had to go to private K-12. All were told that there is no college fund as it was all spent on private schooling, so they could study to get scholarships for college or work to pay for it. The oldest two have graduated from college and had full scholarships. Another will graduate HS next year and will either get scholarships or pay his way and the same for the two youngest.

2013-06-28 11:11 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Originally posted by NXS   We have five children and live in an area with really crappy public schools, so all of them had to go to private K-12. All were told that there is no college fund as it was all spent on private schooling, so they could study to get scholarships for college or work to pay for it. The oldest two have graduated from college and had full scholarships. Another will graduate HS next year and will either get scholarships or pay his way and the same for the two youngest.

Wow that's just awesome. I have a son heading into middle school. Any advice?

2013-06-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Extreme Veteran
One of best pieces of financial advice I ever got- and still pops in my head a lot- is my dad asking me if I really wanted to go to Cornell 26 times as much as the state U. That was the cost delta with the scholarships I had to the state U. It was the first time I had ever thought about money that way.

He also sat down with me and showed me that he could pay for my freshman year and maybe my sophomore year at Cornell but the rest would have to be loans- and he showed me how much it would be.

(I was going for engineering either way so major didn't differ.)

So, we plan on encouraging our daughter towards career paths - like my parents did with engineering.

We also are saving with a plan to cover a public university education- if she goes private we'll have to have a serious conversation like my dad with me.
2013-06-28 11:38 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

My parents helped me pay for most of undergrad, but not all of it. They took the same approach of what was mentioned earlier, I paid for the first semester and If my grades were up to par they paid me back and I could use that money to then pay for the next semester. I was on my own for grad school.

My dad persuaded me to go to a less expensive state school for undergrad then get my graduate degree from somewhere a little more fancy, so that I am not paying top dollar for all those gen ed classes.

I wish I had put more time and effort into scholarships. I got reminded of my lack of scholarships every month when I made my loan payment rather than spending my hard earned money on lavish vacations and toys.
2013-06-28 12:15 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
A couple rhetorical questions.

Is it better to pay for performance, or pay for profit? (Think of it this way. Would you prefer to fund your child getting straight-A's in basket weaving, or muddling along with C's in economics?)

Do you want your child tied with golden handcuffs into a field that they hate?

Where do you think people are most successful? (If you answered "following their passions" you're right...)

It's fair to have hard conversations with your child about what they think they want to do and how they think they'll accomplish it. If they want to study basket weaving, or early childhood education, they can find schools that aren't too expensive so they aren't burdened with major college debt while making the expected income in those positions. Other fields are more lucrative, so it's easier to justify more college expense. Work through the numbers with them, and they might understand why you aren't enthusiastic about $200K ($50K/year) for their degree that results in a $32,000/year position.

Give your student a chance to be creative. Your student might see things in vastly different ways. You can also negotiate and/or encourage them to supplement their passion with some practical skills. Study basket weaving, but also study marketing. Encourage them to sketch out how they'll live the life of their dreams.
2013-06-28 12:33 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by McFuzz A couple rhetorical questions. Is it better to pay for performance, or pay for profit? (Think of it this way. Would you prefer to fund your child getting straight-A's in basket weaving, or muddling along with C's in economics?) Do you want your child tied with golden handcuffs into a field that they hate? Where do you think people are most successful? (If you answered "following their passions" you're right...) It's fair to have hard conversations with your child about what they think they want to do and how they think they'll accomplish it. If they want to study basket weaving, or early childhood education, they can find schools that aren't too expensive so they aren't burdened with major college debt while making the expected income in those positions. Other fields are more lucrative, so it's easier to justify more college expense. Work through the numbers with them, and they might understand why you aren't enthusiastic about $200K ($50K/year) for their degree that results in a $32,000/year position. Give your student a chance to be creative. Your student might see things in vastly different ways. You can also negotiate and/or encourage them to supplement their passion with some practical skills. Study basket weaving, but also study marketing. Encourage them to sketch out how they'll live the life of their dreams.

Great advice.

I sat my oldest down and kind of interviewed him to aid him in what major he wanted to select.

What kind of house do you want to live in?
What kind of car do you want to drive?
What kind of vacation do you want to go on?
etc...

Then we came up with a number of about how much money he'd have to make in order to live that type of lifestyle.  I also talked about future growth potential in different career fields and how some have more upward growth potential than others (financially speaking).  I sat him down with our monthly bills so he could see how much our lifestyle really costs.  That was an eye opener for him.  lol

We also discussed what he's passionate about and ultimately he decided to major in Electrical Engineering with a Business Minor and he chose it all on his own.

2013-06-28 12:38 PM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

What we told both our kids is that if they pursued further education after HS they would have to pay the first year. If they wanted to continue, we would help from there on. 

We did this so that they wouldn't party their first year away on our coin.

2013-06-28 1:21 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
Parent of THREE daughters (2-college & 1 grad school). We didn't impose any strict guidelines, but always discuss "you're going to have to feed yourself EVENTUALLY" so choose your field of study accordingly!. having said that, I also told them that it's SILLY to think a high school soph/jun/sr is going to know what they want to do for the REST OF LIFE! SHEESH!! We started going to school mtgs as early as 7th grade where the message was "your child needs to have their life planned out by tomorrow, LATEST!!
My college degree is not directly related to my current career field (21 yrs), BUT it does have applications. i STRESS this to them REPEATEDLY. We've been blessed that they're ALL high-achievers, motvated. Yes, we're basically picking up the tab for college (our choice, don't disagree with having them pay to OWN it, BUT, ....) The first two work while at college and during the summer (we've told youngest the same we did the first two-get yourself set the 1st semester into the ACADEMIC routine then start looking for jobs THAT DON'T INTERFERE with ACADEMICS!!-THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE THERE FOR!!!!
i agree that course of study is not necessarily a deal-breaker, BUT, being a bit of a knuckle-dragger, I default to practicality. No guarantees as to the future, BUT can't wrong in some/any health-related field (we're all living longer but ain't doing it very well-BT'er's being the exception). I'm thinking Obamacare ain't gonna be the answer either.
Being a Dave Ramsey fan, I gotta quote his advice of JC for the 1st two years. My 1st was top of her class AND very motivated. She insisted that she had to go to a "real" college. Based on her performance, we said "you earned the right to make the choice." By jr year, (attending private college, graduated 4 years SUMMA (dad-brag)-she got major $$$ scholarships, etc) she commented she'd been just a well off taking her core classes at the local JC. Even her school AND the large state flagships, told us during tours, orientation, etc that students should take core classes during summer at the local JC-less expensive AND ONLY the credit transfers NOT the grade (doesn't affect primary institution GPA).

Just my .02
2013-06-28 1:29 PM
in reply to: peby

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-28 1:37 PM

New user
Originally posted by KateTri1

Originally posted by NXS   We have five children and live in an area with really crappy public schools, so all of them had to go to private K-12. All were told that there is no college fund as it was all spent on private schooling, so they could study to get scholarships for college or work to pay for it. The oldest two have graduated from college and had full scholarships. Another will graduate HS next year and will either get scholarships or pay his way and the same for the two youngest.

Wow that's just awesome. I have a son heading into middle school. Any advice?

Stress excellence and demand it especially if you are paying for it. Get involved in his studies and supplement it with anything that will push or stretch him and make it fun. Check and see if there are any colleges or universities that have scholars programs and see if he qualifies for any. If so find an area of interest and get him in there. My daughter earned college credit that way even before she was in HS. Help him develop study habits if he doesn't have them already, and as I said before, demand excellence. Probably nothing new here but something you may have overlooked
2013-06-28 3:20 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Okay, so I'll pitch in some things here.

I went to a state University and graduated BSME in 1988. Different economic climate, for sure. My parents payed for my room and board (via living with them) for all 6 years into which I stuffed my 4 year degree. I paid all the school expenses via summer jobs and a part-time mid-way through. We never really had those frank discussions, it was just expected. Same with my three older sisters (engineer, biology, and forestry).

I have a 12-year-old who already has her career path set (and has been adamant for some three years already) -- she wants to own and operate her own beauty salon. Fine, there's Running Start programs for the beauty school, and she now realizes and agrees that a business degree will be nigh-to-required. We recently had a bit of a windfall for her education, and the agreement is this: as long as she goes on to higher education after high school, it's hers to use for education. BUT... if she chooses not to go on to college, then we're going to hang onto it for 5-7 years to make sure she establishes herself on her own before just handing her a load of party money.

Now there's another one on the way... Due in August. We're already starting some college funds, but it'll be the same dealio -- it doesn't just get handed over when they turn 18...

2013-06-28 6:06 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Bronze member

Lots of good stuff in this thread and different perspectives.

My children are 5 & 7 but we have the college funds going. My husband laughed today and said I'm sure we have already put more thought into college for our kids then his parents did for him. Not mine - they worked hard and sacrificed to put my sisters and I through college, wherever we wanted to go and whatever we wanted to study. They did not go to college and that is something they (my Mom especially) wanted to do. She still talks about how she wanted to be a P.E. teacher but she was the oldest in the family and her mother only completed the 5th grade before having to help out on the family farm. College for her was not even considered and Mom was kind of belittled about even thinking about it. 

2013-06-28 9:22 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
My wife has been putting away funds every pay period from our paychecks to the kids' own savings accounts.

We do talk with our kids and try to guide them at possible career choices by their interests.

My oldest just got hired for his first job and will be applying some of that into his savings, too.

I think we are way ahead of the game with them.
2013-06-30 4:07 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

Have 2 teenagers, my daughter is a freshman at a local 2 year collage, my son is still in jr. high. Both have been told that we aren't paying for collage, will help in another way, room and board, insurance( car and health) cellphone, etc. But school is 100% on them. My daughter choose a 2 year school over a 4 year due to tuition, will transfer to a 4 year school her junior year. She had the opportunity in high school to do dual enrollment but choose not to. Has regretted that decision ever since. She works two part time jobs and keeps good grades in school. She saves any grant money and tax refund money to start paying off school loans.
2013-07-02 7:44 AM

Expert
, North Carolina

A quality education doesn't cost, it pays! 

My son and I stashed and saved all the while he was growing up.  I've been divorced since he was 7 years old, so it was not easy; particularly since he grew up in a private christian school for which I also had to pay tuition.  We saved money by having him complete his first two years at the local community college (which is where I work).  This allowed him to live at home and to keep his job at Cold Stone Creamery throughout high school and community college.  It also allowed time to transition from private to public school, and to really hone in on what he wanted to do as a career.

He then transferred to NC State where he took up Mechanical Engineering.  By then we had saved enough money that he no longer had to work and could focus solely on his demanding curriculum.  He graduated with honors and already makes more money than I do.  He also graduated without any student loans to pay back.

So... I highly recommend looking at your local community college.  Your teen can begin working on transfer credits while considering different careers.  Community colleges have a Career Center where they help young people decide what career best suits their needs/personality.  This will keep your teen at home a little longer which saves on housing expenses, and give more time to decide what he/she is really passionate about as a career choice.  Personally, I would not put a guideline on the type of degree my child wanted; but more importantly would try to help him/her make the best choice before getting in too deep.

Good luck!

2013-07-02 8:02 AM

Champion
Alabama

I told my son we pay for medical school but he wouldn't go.  Instead he is a junior in Electrical Engineering (my degree and profession) and has a full academic scholarship worth about $45k so we only pay his room and board.  But he wants to go to Law School after he gets his BSEE.  My wife says we should not pay for Law School and that he should pay is own way (via working and student loans).  I figure since we got off so light with the undergraduate school we should pay for law school.  OTOH, he has this idea of going to Harvard which is about $50k a year so IDK.  Guess I'm hoping he gets some sort of scholarship for Law School too.

For parents of kids who have not graudated HS yet I highly recommend ACT/SAT turoring.  It is an investment that can pay huge dividends.  The difference in a 31 and 33 on the ACT can be the difference in $20k vs $40 in scholarships.  Take the test and get a baseline then take the course and retake the test and you will see a 3 to 5 point increase.  Repeast as necessary. 

2013-07-02 12:15 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Originally posted by briderdt

I went to a state University and graduated BSME in 1988. Different economic climate, for sure. My parents payed for my room and board (via living with them) for all 6 years into which I stuffed my 4 year degree. I paid all the school expenses via summer jobs and a part-time mid-way through. We never really had those frank discussions, it was just expected. Same with my three older sisters (engineer, biology, and forestry).

I have a 12-year-old who already has her career path set (and has been adamant for some three years already) -- she wants to own and operate her own beauty salon. Fine, there's Running Start programs for the beauty school, and she now realizes and agrees that a business degree will be nigh-to-required. We recently had a bit of a windfall for her education, and the agreement is this: as long as she goes on to higher education after high school, it's hers to use for education. BUT... if she chooses not to go on to college, then we're going to hang onto it for 5-7 years to make sure she establishes herself on her own before just handing her a load of party money.

Now there's another one on the way... Due in August. We're already starting some college funds, but it'll be the same dealio -- it doesn't just get handed over when they turn 18...

For those with new borns, some interesting projections from USNews.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/07/25/how-much-will-you-need-to-send-your-child-to-college-in-2030

What Will College Tuition Cost in 2030?

Congratulations! You are a new parent. It is time you are baptized into the world of diaper changes and midnight feedings. You also might want to brush up on your financial calculator skills.

Assuming junior is going to opt for a value education from a public school, you’ll want to know what the cost of college will be in 2030. According to the US Department of Education, the average annual cost of public school increased 6.5 percent each year over the last decade. That means that by 2030, annual public tuition will be $44,047. The total cost for a four-year degree will be more than $205,000.

2013-07-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: crowny2

Expert
Originally posted by crowny2

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/07/25/how-much-will-you-need-to-send-your-child-to-college-in-2030

Congratulations! You are a new parent. It is time you are baptized into the world of diaper changes and midnight feedings. You also might want to brush up on your financial calculator skills.

Assuming junior is going to opt for a value education from a public school, you’ll want to know what the cost of college will be in 2030. According to the US Department of Education, the average annual cost of public school increased 6.5 percent each year over the last decade. That means that by 2030, annual public tuition will be $44,047. The total cost for a four-year degree will be more than $205,000.

Thats just crazy. I really believe student debt will be the downfall of our country economically.

We bought a pre-paid plan for my son the year he was born. We already have his tuition, 3 years of campus room and board, and his student fees paid for under 2002 state university rates. 

2013-07-02 12:42 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-02 12:50 PM
in reply to: crowny2

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by crowny2

That is IF tuition costs continue to rise at 6.5%.  I doubt this rete will continue.  It will soon be at the point where the cost does not justify the return.  If a 4-year degree costs $205k and you have 4 years of lost wages at say $30k/year = $120k.  This is $325k that one would have to recover.....before interest considerations.  I think people will simply go to smaller community colleges where rates are still pretty low.

I question WHY college tuition has gone up so much faster than the rate of inflation.  I doubt teacher salaries have increased 6.5% year for the last 10 years.  Maybe they are getting less and less money from the state?  IDK.  I'd like to see an analysis of why costs have gone up to fast.

2013-07-02 2:29 PM

F airfield
Hi,

I have 4 kids. My oldest is a sophomore at NYU. When he was looking we put restrictions on WHICH colleges we would pay for - I wasn't so worried about the degree as I am about the institution. Ivy and Tier 1 - of course but some small liberal arts school with a decent reputation, a country-club campus and a $55k/year price tag - No. My son could have received money at a lesser school but I think the cost long-term (to him) would have been too high.

Being the first in my family to go to college, I went to a NY state school (I had no idea what Tier 1 was). Upon graduation in '88 and for many many years afterwards there were more doors closed to me than open....even now, some doors are still closed despite a relatively successful career. I am in the investment management industry and have been told 2x on interviews that "I was not the right pedigree"....and I was well-dressed and have most of my teeth...well, the front ones at least! To some extent, I agree.... but I have always suffered from "degree or school envy" and even if it means no retirement, I will live vicariously through my children.

We are doing this for the other 3 as well (ages 15, 12 and 10). I am going into debt for the right schools and they will pay for at least 1 year whether it be their loans or to me (to pay off my parent loans)....so that is about $65k for NYU. If they cannot get into a higher quality school, then they can go to one of our state schools...which are very good but it will make it harder to stand out in the ever-increasing competition for jobs. Your school name is with you for LIFE....not many ask what you studied.

We have debated this issue with many friends and I know MANY of you will disagree but that is my 2 borrowed cents.

2013-07-02 2:35 PM
in reply to: SeanMac

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by SeanMac

Your school name is with you for LIFE....not many ask what you studied.

I would think this varies HEAVILY by industry/profession and region.

2013-07-02 2:48 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by Rogillio

p>For parents of kids who have not graudated HS yet I highly recommend ACT/SAT turoring.  It is an investment that can pay huge dividends.  The difference in a 31 and 33 on the ACT can be the difference in $20k vs $40 in scholarships.  Take the test and get a baseline then take the course and retake the test and you will see a 3 to 5 point increase.  Repeast as necessary. 

Making National Merit Semi-Finalist/Finalist based on PSAT scores can make a big difference in the scholarship and admissions game, too... that means doing a prep class before the Junior year. But whether for PSAT or SAT/ACT, I agree, a prep class is money well spent.
2013-07-02 3:19 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by SeanMac

Your school name is with you for LIFE....not many ask what you studied.

I would think this varies HEAVILY by industry/profession and region.

i sure won't be spending $65k/yr on a name.  when i interview people, the relevance of their degree and work experience are the 2 things i care about.

i will absolutely have my kids work in HS and college.  there isn't much to talk about in a job interview (for your first grown up job) if you have NO actual work experience.

2013-07-02 3:45 PM

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Just my two cents: I agree with the theory that any college is good thing. I'd be more concerned with setting up boundaries around performance. They must go full-time, they must get a B average, etc.  I would also require a job of some sort.   I don't/won't have kids in this situation, but oddly I have thought about this a lot.  Also it's important what Tuwood said - the ability to get deals/loans/scholarships might be hampered if your family is well enough off, so you might have to help regardless. 

I had no family money and did it all myself through loans and choosing a cheaper school option. I also worked 20+ hours/week, and came to college with almost 2 years done during high school.   Even with that much responsibility, and knowing I needed to do well in college, I didn't exactly shine.  I got through okay, but with an English degree and no real prospects.  But, I will NEVER say I didn't learn a lot from the experience, figuring out how to get where I needed to be, how to register for what I needed, etc.    Also the critical thinking learned at a liberal arts program, and the variety of subjects I dabbled in, made me well rounded.   I had friends who did better because they picked engineering or math, but even some of them have faltered.

Good luck - it's really exciting!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Question for Parents of older Teens Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Question for teen parents Pages: 1 2

Started by Hugh in TX
Views: 3728 Posts: 48

2011-04-14 10:53 AM matt3liv

Step-parents or Divorced Parents out there? Pages: 1 2

Started by bigoon
Views: 2600 Posts: 32

2008-12-26 6:24 PM ell-in-or

Question for the parents out there Pages: 1 2

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 1547 Posts: 26

2007-08-06 9:33 AM Renee

Questions for BT parents

Started by Denise2003
Views: 1190 Posts: 22

2006-09-16 9:37 PM Lara

BT Parents Question

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 860 Posts: 4

2005-11-27 10:19 AM tim_edwards
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Striving to eat a perfect diet commonly results in deprivation of foods you truly like to eat. You will inevitably end up binging on those foods, sooner or later. Learn how to eat normally.

date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.
date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.