General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get faster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 4:28 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: How to get faster
So i have no plans to do an Ironman next year because i want to get better and improve all my times before going at it again. So i was wondering if i just follow the same training plan i did last year, the 36 week trifuel plan and not do a race would i improve? Ive read that if you don't take time off and lose some fitness you never have a chance to build more fitness onto of last years performance.

2013-06-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: How to get faster
As far as a training plan I can't really say. But...I can tell you from personal experience that you definitely have to take some time away from hard training. I worked my butt off over the winter and was making some big improvements for awhile. Then when my first race of the season came, I was no better and maybe even a tad slower. Apparently I peaked during the winter and that's not good for anybody. I think you would definitely improve by using that plan but just make sure you have a period of easy training mixed in there.
2013-06-27 5:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by dkahns51

So i have no plans to do an Ironman next year because i want to get better and improve all my times before going at it again. So i was wondering if i just follow the same training plan i did last year, the 36 week trifuel plan and not do a race would i improve?

You improve by training, not racing, but racing can be a great motivation factor and a good checkup on your performance. Why not race the half distance? I think that using the same training plan, assuming you just came out of your last 36 week training plan will mostly maintain your fitness. To build and improve on your current fitness you need to push harder and that may call for revising the training plan.

ETA: I believe that speed should be built at shorter distances, then build up to longer distances trying to maintain speed. So, if you want to get faster, maybe train for shorter distances, once you reach your target aim to build distance.

Ive read that if you don't take time off and lose some fitness you never have a chance to build more fitness onto of last years performance.

That just doesn't make sense to me. Recovery is important in order to improve, but recovery is not the same as loosing fitness.

BR

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-06-27 5:06 PM
2013-06-27 5:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
McAllen
You regain any lost fitness from a much-needed break very easily, but you after IM training you should take a couple months of just real non specific, relax and have fun for a while. Go mountain biking. Just stay active If you feel like running go run. I keep up with Pete Jacobs & Andy Potts and even PJ adopted a training philosophy for off season that "If its stressful I am not going to do it. If I don't feel like going for a bike ride, I'll just do something else". Paraphrased

And big congratulations on IM CdA!!

Edited by odpaul7 2013-06-27 5:09 PM
2013-06-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Spokane
Yeah its possible i could do a 70.3 next year, just not going the Full distance is what i was saying. As far as pushing harder the plan calls for training at certain heart rates and RPE, they say It never gets easier you just get faster.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to get faster Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Secret to getting faster on the bike....

Started by piperfl
Views: 1957 Posts: 16

2007-08-02 3:26 PM Donto

Hey, I think i'm getting faster!

Started by F.O.G.
Views: 864 Posts: 9

2006-07-28 7:13 AM F.O.G.

The Limits On Getting Faster - super duper frustrated

Started by Spokes
Views: 1500 Posts: 19

2006-05-05 10:36 AM oneword

Somebody is getting faster!

Started by chile7473
Views: 1135 Posts: 8

2006-03-27 10:21 AM pbarbato

Favorite I'm getting faster moment

Started by sue7013
Views: 1038 Posts: 5

2004-10-17 1:20 PM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.