General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GatorSkins and tire liners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 7:08 PM

User image

Subject: GatorSkins and tire liners
I bought my bike used a few weeks back. It is an 09 Felt S32 with SRAM S60s with Gator Skin tires. The rear tire wasn't taking air because the presta valve was bent. So after fiddling with it for a while, the valve just popped out and the tire went flat. When I replaced the tube, I noticed that it had tire liners. I kind of thought it was overkill to have tire liners underneath Gator Skins.

Am I right to think it is excessive? And wouldn't that slow me down a bit?

I know the Gator Skins aren't the fastest tire available by a long shot so I don't want to sacrifice any extra speed unnecessarily.

Thanks.

2013-06-27 7:11 PM
in reply to: WayneMott

User image

Subject: RE: GatorSkins and tire liners
Get yourself a set of something like Shimano wr500 wheels and put those gatorskins on them. Leave the liners in them. When you put good shoes on that sucker you'll feel like you're flying.

Put some latex tubes and Conti GP 4000s tires on those S60s for races.

2013-06-27 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I made the switch to Gatorskins this year for training. I also put in a liner in the back wheel. Yes, they are much slower - I'd never race on them except in dire circumstances. For training, there's nothing wrong with them unless you have a hard time keeping up with the group.

Even after changing them both, I've had flats on both the front and rear while training (lots of goat's head this year...). Overkill? That's really up to you.
2013-06-27 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4790064

User image

So GatorSkins + tire liners will be considerably slower then GatorSkins without the liners?

I plan on getting some Conti 4000s whenever some funds get freed up. Should be in the next couple weeks.
2013-06-27 8:42 PM

User image

The liners will slow any tire down, but my "guess" is that they'll slow a faster tire down more than they will a tire like a gatorskin.

I would agree with monkeyclaw in that you don't really need to worry about it unless it's impacting you from keeping up with the group.  I know when I ride with faster roadies, I have to swap tires.  If I was able to sit in the pack the whole way I'd be fine, but there's no way I can take even pulls with them while I'm putting out 10-20 more watts to keep the same pace.  For an hour maybe...but not for 3-5 hours.

2013-06-27 10:14 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
McAllen
How much do tire liners slow down a tire? Is it significant?

2013-06-28 1:55 AM
in reply to: odpaul7

User image

Originally posted by odpaul7 How much do tire liners slow down a tire? Is it significant?

My guess is that it can turn something like a GP4000S and make it ride similar to a gatorskin. 

2013-06-28 6:12 AM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Veteran

there's nothing wrong with them unless you have a hard time keeping up with the group.

SO that's my problem... I just thought I was Sloooow...

What kind of difference are we talking about?

I have not swapped wheels for a race/ speed run so nothing to compare to. (to swap I need to change brake pads and adjust positions as the tracks do not line up carbon to alloy)

2013-06-28 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Originally posted by WayneMott

Am I right to think it is excessive? And wouldn't that slow me down a bit?

Yes, and yes.

FWIW, I've never seen the necessity of using training tires. But that's mainly a time/budget issue with me. Race wheels -- a whole different matter.

Ken
2013-06-28 11:41 AM
in reply to: kenail

User image

Expert
This made me think about Strava... I have the 3rd fastest time on local screaming downhill decent on my road bike on Gatorskins. I keep meaning to put the same wheels and tires on my Tri bike and have a go at the decent to see if there is any speed difference. I was really surprised with the road bike + Gatorskins combo to be that fast (and the leader board is covered with fast folks). I'd have to guess that wind resistance > rolling resistance making the rolling resistance on the tires not a significant factor, and I'm 6'2" and 190lbs these days so lots of wind resistance on a road bike. I'm pretty sure I'm about 10% faster on that same hill on my Tri bike but don't have any data files to upload to Strava for my Tri bike, I just finally got around to joining the Strava mafia. Know that I'm doing this weekend
2013-06-28 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Wind resistance will definitely have a bigger impact than rolling resistance.  A strong wind can slow you down about 5+ mph, but don't underestimate the difference between a very poor rolling tire and a very good one (especially if you pair it with a latex tube).  In actual field testing, the difference can be very close to 1 mph. 

You can take this chart done by bike tech review...

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

Then play around with this calculator...

http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesSpeed_Page.html

The way to use the calculator is to first set the slope to zero.  Then play around with one of two things.

1.  Adjust the default crr by the amount shown in the BTR chart.  So if you're comparing two tires that have a difference in crr of .001, then see what speed the default crr results in, then see what happens to speed when you add .001 to the default.  Note that the BTR chart shows crr per tire.  Theoretically, you would need to double the difference in the crr to get the effect of two wheels.

2.  The BTR chart also shows a difference in wattage per wheel.  This is essentially how many watts you lose to rolling resistance.  So again...the lower number the better.  Play around with the calculator and see what happens to speed when you compare the difference in wattages lost for 2 wheels.

A gatorskin is such a poor a rolling tire, it wasn't even tested on this review...so you can probably assume it's at best comparable to the worst tire on the list.  But just for the sake of an example lets just compare the worst tire on the list (Conti GP3000)with a GP4000S and latex tube (GP4000S is not even the fastest rolling tire).  You get a difference of .00181 in crr per tire.  So .00362 total.  Plug that into analytic cycling and the result is (using default frontal area, cda, 75kg bike and rider, and 0 slope)....

Default crr of .004 at 250 watts = 25.12 mph
Crr of .00762 (.004 + .00362) at 250 watts = 24.02 mph

Edited by Jason N 2013-06-28 12:44 PM

2013-06-28 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Jason N

Wind resistance will definitely have a bigger impact than rolling resistance.  A strong wind can slow you down about 5+ mph, but don't underestimate the difference between a very poor rolling tire and a very good one (especially if you pair it with a latex tube).  In actual field testing, the difference can be very close to 1 mph. 

The way to use the calculator is to first set the slope to zero.  Then play around with one of two things.

1.  Adjust the default crr by the amount shown in the BTR chart.  So if you're comparing two tires that have a difference in crr of .001, then see what speed the default crr results in, then see what happens to speed when you add .001 to the default.  Note that the BTR chart shows crr per tire.  Theoretically, you would need to double the difference in the crr to get the effect of two wheels.

2.  The BTR chart also shows a difference in wattage per wheel.  This is essentially how many watts you lose to rolling resistance.  So again...the lower number the better.  Play around with the calculator and see what happens to speed when you compare the difference in wattages lost for 2 wheels.

A gatorskin is such a poor a rolling tire, it wasn't even tested on this review...so you can probably assume it's at best comparable to the worst tire on the list.  But just for the sake of an example lets just compare the worst tire on the list (Conti GP3000)with a GP4000S and latex tube (GP4000S is not even the fastest rolling tire).  You get a difference of .00181 in crr per tire.  So .00362 total.  Plug that into analytic cycling and the result is (using default frontal area, cda, 75kg bike and rider, and 0 slope)....

On the decent I'm referring too breaking 50mph is common in one section. I've noticed a real speed difference between warmer dry days and cooler misty days too. Odd the things you thinking about while doing 40+ mph on a bicycle.
2013-06-28 2:47 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Originally posted by magic  On the decent I'm referring too breaking 50mph is common in one section. I've noticed a real speed difference between warmer dry days and cooler misty days too. Odd the things you thinking about while doing 40+ mph on a bicycle.

If you want to get really technical, the calculator I linked can probably point you to some answers as well.  Plug in the slope of the decent (as a negative value) and adjust the air density/barometric pressure.  You may not get the exact numbers since your frontal area and cda will have to be spot on for the numbers to match, but you can at least play around with the numbers and see how the air density can vary your speed all else being equal.

2013-06-28 3:05 PM

User image

According to this site. http://mccraw.co.uk/continental-gp4000s-review/.The crr is only .00405 which isn't as much of a difference as the example you gave but still considerable. Also, I'm only about 65.5 kg. Not sure if that hurts or helps me.

My next purchase WAS going to be an aero helmet but I'm wondering if ill see better speed gains with a new set of tires

2013-06-28 3:17 PM

User image

Originally posted by WayneMott  According to this site. http://mccraw.co.uk/continental-gp4000s-review/.The crr is only .00405 which isn't as much of a difference as the example you gave but still considerable. Also, I'm only about 65.5 kg. Not sure if that hurts or helps me. My next purchase WAS going to be an aero helmet but I'm wondering if ill see better speed gains with a new set of tires

Thanks for that link.  I always wondered what the difference between the GP4000S and the Gatorskin was.  But the result is still clear...that rolling resistance between tires (whether it's a Gatorskin or GP3000) can be very significant. 

If you're currently using a poor tire, I would go with the tire upgrade first (don't forget the latex tubes as well).  You may be able to get 0.5-1 mph in speed gain where an aero helmet is likely closer to 0.3-0.5 mph.  If you're already using a good tire...then it's more of a toss up.

2013-06-28 5:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by WayneMott  According to this site. http://mccraw.co.uk/continental-gp4000s-review/.The crr is only .00405 which isn't as much of a difference as the example you gave but still considerable. Also, I'm only about 65.5 kg. Not sure if that hurts or helps me. My next purchase WAS going to be an aero helmet but I'm wondering if ill see better speed gains with a new set of tires

Thanks for that link.  I always wondered what the difference between the GP4000S and the Gatorskin was.  But the result is still clear...that rolling resistance between tires (whether it's a Gatorskin or GP3000) can be very significant. 

If you're currently using a poor tire, I would go with the tire upgrade first (don't forget the latex tubes as well).  You may be able to get 0.5-1 mph in speed gain where an aero helmet is likely closer to 0.3-0.5 mph.  If you're already using a good tire...then it's more of a toss up.

The tires would be a considerably cheaper purchase also. I guess that decides it. I'm not racing again until 4 weeks from tomorrow so I should be able to get new tires AND an aero helmet before then.

on a related note, I took the tire liners out of my GatorSkins this morning. Just got back from a little 10 mile route from my house. The first/last 1.75 is high traffic, so I use that as a warm up/cool down. I did the middle 6.5 miles of the loop @ 20.9 mph. Did the same loop 2 weeks ago @ 20.2 mph. Not sure if ALL of that is from removing the tire liners but I'd assume that a lot of it is.

Thanks for all your help Jason!

2013-06-28 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
McAllen
So what would be a good tire recommendation? Vittoria Open Corsa Evo? the Michelin Pro3's?
2013-06-28 7:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by odpaul7 So what would be a good tire recommendation? Vittoria Open Corsa Evo? the Michelin Pro3's?

I've had good success with both the GP4000S as well as the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo.  The Vittoria is known be be less durable, but knock on wood I haven't had any issues yet.  I only use them for racing though.  I've used the GP4000S for training and racing at times.

Recent aero testing has shown though that the Vittoria is pretty bad in the wind tunnel where the GP4000S tests much more favorable.  So I've now switched to a GP4000S up front and a Vittoria in the rear.  When both of my Vittorias wear out, I'm likely to simply go GP4000S front/back.  At this point your splitting hairs because how a tire tests in the wind tunnel is largely affected by the type of wheel it is mounted on...but since I already had both tires...I figured I'd be either gaining a little, or a wash at worst.

The only experience I've had with a Michelin PR3 is when I had a sidewall blowout during the first race I used it.  It's not to say that other tires can't have the same problem, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth and never went back.  Others have also reported durability issues, but then you also have people who use them for thousands of miles without a problem.  In any case, they are designed to be quite good and there is the new PR4 model that has been out for a couple years now.  I haven't seen them as cheap as the GP4000S though.

2013-06-28 9:50 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Originally posted by odpaul7

So what would be a good tire recommendation? Vittoria Open Corsa Evo? the Michelin Pro3's?

Depends on what you're looking for. For a 'bulletproof' trainer, the Gatorskins are good. For racing, I find the Vittoria Evo CX's a great tire. For an all-rounder, I like the GP4000s. They have a good deal of protection but also have really low rolling resistance.

Here's what I do (since I got 3 flats on a single training ride due to thorns/goat's head...):
Training: Gatorskins
Road races: GP4000s
Crits, TT's, Tri: Vittoria Evo CX
2013-07-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

I was going to post a couple questions about tires and specifically the Conti 4000S. So thanks for all of the detailed post which answered my questions. I found this link while researching the 4000S tires and thought some of you might find it useful as well.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

The more I dig into this and based on some of the avg. speeds posted around here I need to do a lot of work on the engine before tires/wheels will make much of a difference :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GatorSkins and tire liners Rss Feed