General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Was this a success or a failure? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-28 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Was this a success or a failure?
Two weeks ago I raced in the Quad Cities Triathlon - a sprint covering 600yd/15m/5k. This was "big" for me, as it was the first race I ever did (the year prior). With the arrival of our fourth son in February, I certainly wasn't able to train as consistently as one would have hoped. However, I was down 20 lbs from the previous year (which was down 35 from where I started). I had high hopes of some time gains for this year's race.

Then I got sick. It started off about a week and a half before the race as just a nagging cough, but came to a head the Thursday before the race as a full-blown 12-hour flu. By Friday afternoon the flu-like symptoms had subsided, but the cough remained. I got about 3 hours of actual sleep Friday night, but decided to go ahead and race anyway.

Race got completed, weather was very similar between the two years (both temperature and precipitation-wise). Also similar between the two years was my time - a 1:44, if that matters at all. I swam approximately the same time (with basically zero swim training), biked 0.6 mph faster, and just didn't have it on the run - a dismal 10:55mm. Just didn't have it.

So the question (thank you if you've made it this far!) is should I consider this race a success or a failure? One the one hand I raced sick and tired and got the same time. On the other hand, I raced at 20 lbs lighter and theoretically in better shape but didn't see any time reduction at all. I'm a bit torn.

2013-06-28 9:08 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: RE: Was this a success or a failure?
REVEL IN YOUR SUCCESS!!! Every race finished is a success. You learn from all of them and prepare for the next. I recently did the Leadman 125 (2,500m swim/68 mile bike/8 mile run which was mostly trail) in Tempe, my first race longer than an Oly. I finished in about 7.5 hours. When other triathletes ask my time, they look at me in shock because I was on the course so long. Many may have considered it a failure. I consider it a huge success because I went long, I beat cut-off times, and I finished. This is my third season of triathlons and started after 52 years of being a couch potatoe and losing 85 pounds. I believe triathlon for many, if not most, is against one...yourself.
2013-06-28 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Absolute success just to cross the finish line.

One of the hardest things to do in competing is to accept the reality of the situation despite some other factors. The weight loss is absolutely great (congratulations, by the way, 55 lbs total is awesome). Yes, you probably would have expected some improvement over last year's time based on the weight loss alone, but the impact of being sick for that long is very large.

My guess is that if you had a 12 hour flu on Thursday with other symptoms leading up to it, you probably were fairly dehydrated on race day. Your body just isn't ready to expend large amounts of energy two days after that, and it is no surprise in the slightest that you struggled through the run. Outside of being the last event, the run is easily going to take the most out of your full body.

I would say you should be very happy to have finished in similar time. Tough to accept the lack of improvement, I know, but on a relative basis, I would say you probably would've done much better if you were up to snuff!
2013-06-28 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by CycloneVM
So the question (thank you if you've made it this far!) is should I consider this race a success or a failure? One the one hand I raced sick and tired and got the same time. On the other hand, I raced at 20 lbs lighter and theoretically in better shape but didn't see any time reduction at all. I'm a bit torn.

Comparing results as it sounds like you're doing isn't apples to apples because of the illness, so I think you're wise not to do that. Does each race have to be so binary in its results as either a success or a failure? Can't some of them be just *experiences*, neither good nor bad and nothing else? It doesn't sound like you had a lot of fun out there that day being sick as you were, do just give it a 'meh' and move on. You'll forget all the negative feelings the next race you do that you're proud of.
2013-06-28 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
I know this may sound cliche, but any race you finish is a success. The time on the clock and where you placed are only valid measurements of the course and the field on that particular day. Stepping to the line, giving it your all, and making it to the finish are all small victories even if the overall results are not what you expected. As for this particular race, the side effects of the flu is probably the biggest factor in the slow run time. Racing when you're healthy is a challenge, racing when you're sick is a battle. You finished, you were less than 100% at the start, and you were just as fast as last year, that's a success!
2013-06-28 11:13 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by fisherman76
Originally posted by CycloneVM So the question (thank you if you've made it this far!) is should I consider this race a success or a failure? One the one hand I raced sick and tired and got the same time. On the other hand, I raced at 20 lbs lighter and theoretically in better shape but didn't see any time reduction at all. I'm a bit torn.
Comparing results as it sounds like you're doing isn't apples to apples because of the illness, so I think you're wise not to do that. Does each race have to be so binary in its results as either a success or a failure? Can't some of them be just *experiences*, neither good nor bad and nothing else? It doesn't sound like you had a lot of fun out there that day being sick as you were, do just give it a 'meh' and move on. You'll forget all the negative feelings the next race you do that you're proud of.

This part for sure!!  Also, other things always play into race comparisons.  Sleep, weather, wind, kids are older but maybe drive you more nuts now (like mine), you are older by a year.  Lighter weight, but being sick....  Hmmm.  I would say being sick had alot to do with it and in my opinion, you were probably not as well rested, at least I can never seem to sleep well when I'm sick.

I would always call a "Toe on the start line and a Heel on the Finish Line" a success, regardless of my performance.  But I get where you are coming from.  We always want to see improvements, especially in the same race.  Get yourself healthy and stay that way!!  Kick the Quad City Tri's fanny next year!

2013-06-28 12:33 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I did that tri for the first time this year and I had a good time watching everyone else cross the finish line after myself. Pat yourself on the back and remember that crossing the finish line is greater than DNS any day. Unless of course you lost both legs or something like that...then I suppose DNS is ok..maybe..

Good job and can't wait to see ya again next year.
2013-06-28 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Any race I complete is a sucess. regardless of the time, yes you may be dissappointed in the time, but think about it, you could of easly just quit or skip the race due to lack of training and being sick. But you didn't you man it up and raced...so props to you.
2013-06-28 2:55 PM

User image

Just look yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself if it was a success or failure.  Only you can answer that question.  If you feel it was a failure, then so be it.  Try to do better next time.

If a basketball player makes 9/10 free throws, was his one miss not a failure?  If a baseball player bats 2 for 5, was his three at bats where he didn't get a hit not a failure?

There is nothing wrong with coming up short of expectations.  If you've always met or exceeded your expectations...one could say your expectations are too low.

2013-06-28 4:00 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by Bevie I did that tri for the first time this year and I had a good time watching everyone else cross the finish line after myself. Pat yourself on the back and remember that crossing the finish line is greater than DNS any day. Unless of course you lost both legs or something like that...then I suppose DNS is ok..maybe.. Good job and can't wait to see ya again next year.

Insert back door brag.  LOL!! 

2013-06-30 6:49 AM

User image

Regular
Arlington, VA
This is totally "wrong," but I would be disappointed and I understand if you are as well. I'm also only about a year into triathlon and I'm in this mindset right now where if it's not a PR, it wasn't worth it. It's really not a great mindset to be in, because that's obviously not sustainable, but nonetheless, that's what it is. In all honesty, you should be proud, but if you're disappointed I totally understand. If that's the case, just move on. You're still 20 lbs lighter than last year, so maybe the next one will be the one where your time shows it.

In any case, I think "failure" is inaccurate. Just not your best day on the course and that happens.

2013-07-01 7:40 AM
in reply to: __sugar__

User image

Veteran
Thanks for all the input, folks. It was interesting hearing the feedback, as many/most of the posts went through my head at some point before posting. I think I'm going to mark it down as an HTFU success even though I didn't necessarily meet my own expectations.
2013-07-01 10:21 AM

User image

Endurance sports are about resiliancy and relentless forward motion. Way to bounce back from the flu (took me weeks to get over mine). You'll fly in your next race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Was this a success or a failure? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I a failure as a father? Pages: 1 2

Started by Experior
Views: 2486 Posts: 29

2011-09-08 5:08 PM Experior

Race day failure despite training

Started by Surge
Views: 1084 Posts: 14

2009-10-28 6:03 PM delosh

Goggle failure during swim

Started by louamerica
Views: 1060 Posts: 6

2009-07-18 7:36 PM annabananamc

Bike failure

Started by Mihai MVP
Views: 604 Posts: 2

2009-06-24 6:12 AM the bear

chrissie wellington on failure and success

Started by hooslisa
Views: 1111 Posts: 5

2009-05-19 6:58 PM jah2212
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 0
Like the fear of being foolish, the fear of failure is very common. The first step in overcoming the fear of failure is to define it. Once defined the steps to overcome it are not difficult.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : July 3, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Take some time right now to think of at least three great reasons why your goal is worth achieving. Make them specific, powerful, exciting, and inspiring.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : January 1, 2006
author : c.krishnan
We must all be aware that success attained in one single effort will have only a short span of life. Because success achieved without any strain or struggle cannot last long.
date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.

date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!