General Discussion Race Reports! » Welland Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Welland Triathlon - Sprint Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Welland, Ontario
Canada
Multisport Canada
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 15s
Overall Rank = 64/128
Age Group = Women 50-54
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

Hubby drove. McD muffin and coffee enroute as usual. Got there plenty of time for race day registration as I didn't pre-register. This was just a loooong training day as I'm still working out some health issues and so am sorely lacking power on the bike and endurance on the run.
Event warmup:

A few minutes of swimming. Warm enough for my sleevless
Swim
  • 16m 44s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

According to my Timex, 16:19 (~2:10). TT start is incredibly civilized. Many people passed me just in the first 100m, but I soon settled into a rhythm. This is probably the fastest I've swum in a race.
There is a long 425m run back to T1 after the swim. In prior yrs and again in this yr, I prepared a pair of shoes so I don't have to run barefoot. As I exited the swim, and turned to go to where my shoes were, the marshal said "wrong way". I told them I had to get my shoes. After putting on my shoes, I thought I'd continue to run towards T1, but marshal said I had to backtrack and go back to cross the mat. I must have lost >half a min (in the swim split) judging from the chiptime.
What would you do differently?:

Forget the shoes and run barefoot. They paved the path to T1 this year so I really didn't need the shoes.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

Run up = 2:03, T1 = 1:32.
There is a constant theme with this race - 1 step fwd, 1 step back. Swim was great, but screwed up on the run to T1. At T1, for a change, I was able to get the wetsuit off effortlessly. Probably fastest ever. Then when I tried to mount the bike - disaster. Didn't really know what happened, suffice to say that this is the 2nd consecutive race I ended up getting off the bike, had to unclip my shoes off the bike and remount. Lost massive amts of time!!!!!!!! At least a couple of min (in the bike split). Never had a problem during practices and bricks.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out the mounting, try it a few times as warmup.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 20s
  • 30 kms
  • 29.02 km/hr
Comments:

According to my Garmin. 27.1kph going out, 32kph coming back, avg 29.28kph. I lost a lot of time mounting the bike. Quite windy, sometimes the gusts were strong, esp going out. Tried to stay in aero but felt exhausted. I went too hard going out (avg HR 148) and had to back off coming back (avg HR 145). For a race, this is the slowest I've gone in a while. For a long training day, this is a good session. My power and endurance are just not there this year. 3yrs ago, my time was 57:xx on old Kestrel, and that was also a training session. My normal avg racing HR s/b ~150 on the bike when I'm race fit. Today, ~146.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Uneventful. Took Garmin of bike, switch to run. Smooth transition, no issues.
Run
  • 44m 12s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Good training session, but pretty slow compared to 2010 when it was the longest workout for the year then and I ran 41:xx. Had a side stitch throughout. Avg HR 148, s/b ~154 when I'm race fit.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Health issues resulting in lack of power on bike and endurance on run. Haven't figured out transition issues.

Event comments:

Another excellent Multisport race by John Salt's group. I wish my fitness is better, but this is a good race to test my Flo wheel, as it's quite windy. ~5' slower than 3yrs ago, which was also a training day. Bike then was 57', run was 41'

Lunch afterwards at Vineland Estates Winery, 1/2 hr from Welland - Mmmm delicious!!! :)

Got nice bottle of wine and out of this world yummy natural dark chocolate almond bark.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:44 | 750 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Time trial start. Rectangular course in Welland waterway.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:02:20 | 30 kms | 29.02 km/hr
Age Group: 10/17
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 147, 29.28kph per Garmin. Lap 1 - 33m 42s - 15.24 kms - 27.13 kph - avg HR 148 Lap 2 - 27m 06s - 14.43 kms - 31.95 kph - avg HR 145
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back. Flat and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:12 | 07.5 kms | 05m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 9/17
Performance: Average
avg hr:148 | max hr:154
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-28 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Welland Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Welland Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Welland Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by JTTRIHRD
Views: 679 Posts: 1

2013-06-24 4:45 PM JTTRIHRD

Started by latestarter
Views: 1087 Posts: 1

2013-06-22 7:01 PM latestarter

Started by JTTRIHRD
Views: 769 Posts: 1

2013-05-28 7:45 PM JTTRIHRD

Welland Duathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by mbasta
Views: 1093 Posts: 1

2012-06-26 5:45 AM mbasta

Welland Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Started by patricia7
Views: 2039 Posts: 6

2011-07-09 1:17 PM Redknight
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : March 9, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.
date : November 7, 2006
author : ishmaelmuscat
Pursuing a challenge, which took a year to get down to mentally and a few weeks of actual training!

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.