General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m 26s
Overall Rank = 30/151
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30, had a egg mcmuffin and some powerade. Mixed up my aerobottle with my maltodextrin, koolaide and salt/potasium mix. Drove 1.5 hr to get to belle isle, fist time on the island so drove around checking out course and layout. Having 2 transtion areas made set up a little time consuming so happy we were there pretty early, never felt rushed, just right.
Event warmup:

Nothing much, didn't feel like getting into the water for a warmup and looking back I probably should have. Every race I have good intentions of warming up for the swim and to date I have not once actually did any kind of warmup besides just some easy streching in the wetsuit. Goal for interlochen is to do swim warmup.
Swim
  • 28m 56s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Coming from northern MI where the ice has just left the lakes, this was my first swim in open water and with a wetsuit this year. So sighting was off at begining and once I actually got into a good rhytm we turned the cornor of the first buoy and were met with probably 2 footers, there goes the good rhythm. I was looking forward to this swim because looking at the swim times from years past the current really seemed to help out. But this year it seemed to be offset by the wind coming in the opposite direction as the current. Made for a tough swim and was happy when it was over. Looking back I really just wanted to be under 30 min and atleast made that.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, hope the wind is different next year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

For first race of year cant complain, faster then I though I was going.

Get new bike shoes that I can get into easy on bike.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 4s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Was actually pretty happy with my time eventhough it wasnt even close to the fastest. Been working pretty hard on the trainer over the winter and feel alot better about how my biking is going. Wind was a factor on the US side of the island but nothing to bad. Felt like a race car driver for the middle 2 laps because of all the sprint people on the course. Passing was definetly where ever you could find a opening, tried to stay to the left but sometimes it just was too crowded. Dont think I could have pushed it any harder.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Hard time finding my rack and shoes, went down wrong isle. Not that big of deal, maybe lost 30 sec.

Pay closer attention to where my spot is in relation from the bike entrance and not the run exit.
Run
  • 46m 24s
  • 6.6 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I jumped of the bike I felt what I was hoping to avoid, side cramps. Had one on each side for the first 3 miles and had to fight hard to just keep a good pace. I don't wear any kind of gps or watch throughout races, but I knew I wasnt moving very good. At about mile 4 started to feel alot better and could pick up the pace, just wish I could figure out how to beat the side cramps coming off the bike. Think I might start trying salt tabs, and at this point I'll try anything.

Not much, maybe push harder. Felt pretty good after the run, which usually means that I didn't go as fast as I should have.
Post race
Warm down:

Took pictures with the kids and my brother who did the sprint race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Damn side cramps

Event comments:

Thought the race itself was ok from a racers standpoint, but will probably do the race again just because of the fact you do multiple laps. Was nice for the family to see you 4 times on the bike and twice on the run, compared to alot of the down and back courses. My 22 month old really enjoyed the race and the blow up slides and stuff at the end. Wasnt hungry after the race but the food looked good and thought that the meal was a lot better then the usual pizza. Liked the muscle milk at the end, drank 3 of them.

Last updated: 2013-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:56 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 90/151
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:04 | 23.8 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 47/151
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 4 lap
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:24 | 06.6 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 29/151
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-28 12:48 PM

New user

Alpena
Subject: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by TrishM
Views: 1287 Posts: 1

2013-06-20 9:02 PM TrishM

Started by TrishM
Views: 1296 Posts: 1

2012-09-04 7:27 AM TrishM

Started by eddievolly
Views: 1256 Posts: 1

2012-06-18 10:25 PM eddievolly

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by atl_runner
Views: 1949 Posts: 4

2006-06-28 10:45 AM steamy

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by expensivehobby22
Views: 1559 Posts: 2

2006-06-26 1:16 PM kimta
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.