World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 39m 25s
Overall Rank = 25/1166
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/157
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at one of client's aunt and uncles about 15 min from the venue. It worked out great! However, it was my first nights away from my son which was tough.
Event warmup:

Since my wave didn't go off to 8am, I didn't do a prerun or swim, but did get in some dynamic stretching.
Swim
  • 32m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my best swim, but this course was definitely long. Even the pro's were at least 1-2 minutes slower than normal.

I veered off to the left a bit on the way to the first buoy, but besides that, this was a decent swim. I had minimal contact and did a very good job of not going out too hard. However, I didn't really find a rhythm until the last turn in towards the beach. I was shocked when I looked down and saw a 32 on my watch, but oh well.
What would you do differently?:

My navigation was a bit off at the get go, but besides that, it went fine. I stayed very relaxed throughout. If you look at the time alone, I would consider this to be a very bad swim, but my Garmin has 1.33 miles so that equates to 1:27/100s which isn't too bad.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Pretty solid T1. It was a pretty long run to transition and I chose not to use the wetsuit strippers, but it went well.

Not much
Bike
  • 2h 28m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Relatively happy with my bike split considering the course and conditions. The first 12-15 miles have a lot of climbing. As a result, I knew I needed to be strong through this section but at the same time I couldn't over do it. Since I started so late, I passed tons and tons of people. However, I was passed by 2 people throughout the ride, one of which was in my age group which I wasn't too happy about, but I had to yell out "on your left" a lot. There were a few times when people were way over the left for no reason, but there weren't any major issues making the passes.

The ride was relatively uneventful. However, I did start to fade a bit at about mile 35-40. I knew it was going to be a tough run, especially with it being so hot, so I did tone it back a bit. However, I did have some serious problems with some saddles sores I've had the last few weeks. I think the issue was more severe today than during other training rides because I'm normally in bibs shorts with more padding than my tri suit. I told myself to suck it up a couple times, but I really struggled to find a comfortable position and was shifting around a lot.

The last section the ride was very fast due to the tailwind. I used that to my advantage, but still did my best to maintain a decent power output.

Perhaps I could have toned it back a bit on the first hilly section of the ride, but I think I did pretty well with that. The heat made it tough and I need to do my best to get rid of these saddle sores.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Solid T2. I did stop to put socks on, but it went well.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 35m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Got off the bike and my stomach was a bit off. In the past when I've had this feeling and I've tried to push the pace I've ended up with stomach cramps. As a result, I backed it off a bit until they passed. I ended up going pretty easy up through the turnaround which included the big hill. It is pretty long and steady, but really wasn't that bad. I slowed my pace quite a bit on it, but ran throughout. But it was HOT! I did my best to keep cool and did pretty well with it, but there wasn't much shade and there were already tons of people walking.

I picked it up a bit on the second loop, but for some reason I was struggling a bit with motivation. It was hard to tell where the other guys in my AG were, especially considering we started in 2 waves, but I just couldn't get myself to dig deep like I normally do. My last 5k or so ended up being the fastest segment of the run for me which is a good sign. However, I wasn't running a marathon, just a half marathon so I should have pushed more.

Dig deep and push myself more.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat and chatted with a few folks that finished around me. I then went over and got an awesome 20 min or so massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, saddle sores, and not pushing myself harder on the run

Event comments:

It got crazy after the race when this huge rain and thunderstorm came in. A bunch of people were still on the course, but they closed everything down without doing an awards ceremony or roll down.

Their were 4 Vegas slots in my age group. I received an email a few days later that I had qualified for Vegas through the roll down. However, I have decided to decline the spot and I'm going to focus on getting back to Kona this year. I may not do an IM next year so if that is the case, I will definitely be shooting to get there then.

Last updated: 2013-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/157
Overall: 92/1166
Performance: Average
Suit: BlueSevnty Helix
Course: Rectangle swim and calm lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:28:35 | 56 miles | 22.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/157
Overall: 31/1166
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills through the country side
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:35:09 | 13.1 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/157
Overall: 0/1166
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 Loop quite hilly rolling course with not much shade
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-28 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by smagoon
Views: 1871 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 10:50 AM smagoon

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by steves_training
Views: 2743 Posts: 3

2010-09-21 1:10 PM steves_training

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by k.stuttle
Views: 1721 Posts: 1

2010-09-20 8:08 AM k.stuttle

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by marcag
Views: 2651 Posts: 5

2010-09-23 8:29 AM aquagirl

Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Started by ferious
Views: 1899 Posts: 2

2010-09-19 7:37 PM JBougher
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.