NYC Sports Commission
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 35s
Overall Rank = ?/3200
Age Group = M 18-24
Age Group Rank = 38/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4h45a, drank about 16 oz. Gatorade and ate a Chocolate Pria Bar (all my fiancee had in her apartment). Drug myself up to Broadway for the 76 block cabride up from the Village, arriving at Transition at about 5h30a.
Event warmup:

No swim warmup, so it was just setting up my transition area, some light stretching, and then the walk from 79th street up to the swim start near 99th street. Got up to the start at about 5h55a, and had to hang out until my wave was sent off at 7h20. This was my first race in a full wetsuit, and I learned that it's not a good idea to get into your suit with more than an hour to spare. I probably should have taken it off.
Swim
  • 19m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first 200m or so were absolutely brutal. My wave was relatively smallin comparison to the others, but it was a full-on washing machine style, kicked in the face a million times, sliding over people event until the field opened up. I managed to pull ahead of a lot of people, despite the fact that I was swimming hard towards the seawall for a little bit and had to be re-directed by a kayaker. Sighting was difficult with the sun rising right in our eyes, and reflecting off the water. The further downtown we got, the more disgustingly black the water became. It was always hard to see, but near the exit ramp it was like swimming in ink. I have never been so glad to get out of water in my life.
What would you do differently?:

Practice OW sighting more. Put on wetsuit much closer to my wave start.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

My T1 time was epically slow, as the exit ramp was about 5 blocks from the transition setup. So after nearly getting sick from the delicious Hudson that was then coursing through my bloodstream, I had to run the approx. 1/2 mile and then fight my wetsuit off my ankles. I was happy, though, to have made it out of the water and to the bike before the guy racked next to me with the P3C w/Zipp 909 package.

Spend more time learning how to quickly take off my suit. At least I got the upper half off during the run to the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

My experience on the bike and run are somewhat marred by the first 1k of the bike. In that time, my Profile Design AquaRack cages both tilted back to near horizontal, which caused BOTH of my bottles of Gatorade Endurance to eject from their homes, leaving me for 40k without hydration of any sort (no aid on the bike course). I had only consumed a little water coming into T1, so I had to set myself up for some massive dehydration. The course was congested enough that I couldn't turn around to pick up my bottles, so I decided I'd risk the lack of fluids and abandonment penalty if there were marshalls afoot. I made it through the course managing slightly over 18mph, which was decent considering the hills and my parched nature. I passed a fair number of people, and was dropped like 3rd period French by a lot of 30-35 guys. Had I been able to take in some water and calories, I think I could have shaved easily 6-10 minutes off of my time.
There was also a slight mechanical issue, in that my cowhorn/aerobar setup turned about 8 degrees left of straight, so I had to do the ride with my arms kinked off to the side.
Despite those two issues, though, the bike was the most fun part of the race. The scenery going up the Henry Hudson was pretty good, and the view from the top of the toll bridge was almost worth the dehydration. Once we were up into the Bronx and near Yonkers, it was much more forest-y, which gave a bit of shade and also a welcome breeze (which became a headwind at some points). The level of spectator support was impressive up on the north end of the course, which really helped to push me along back into T2.

Make sure that my hydration is properly secured, and that my aerobars are on straight. Also I should take in a few calories during T1.

My apologies to the person who's bike was racked directly behind #1926. I was so dehydrated coming in from the bike that I drank some of the bottle of water that was lying near your pack. There were several there, and I had no fluids to take in until I hit the first aid station on the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I was in and out of T2 relatively quickly, after drinking said "borrowed" water from my compatriot. Should have installed Yankz on my running shoes before the race, as the combo of putting on socks and tying my laces kinda slowed me down. Dehydration was a factor at this point, and I was not at all looking forward to a 10K in the heat.

Yankz on the shoes, learn to jump off a moving bike.
Run
  • 1h 00m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Until I got to the first aid station and was able to take in some sort of sports drink, I had tunnel vision and really only wanted to stop to throw up. I wasn't sure I would be able to push through 10K after not having taken anything in throughout the proceeding 1:30:00. Once I got to that blessed aid station, I drank 4 big cups of CytoMax just to put something into my body. After that it was slightly touch and go, and I was basically running from one aid station to the next, trying to take in calories and water whenever possible. I was getting passed right and left, and wasn't passing as many people as I would have liked. I saw my fiancee and future in-laws at a couple of points, which provided some much needed support. There weren't too many spectators in the park, but they were lining 72nd street when we came out of T2. I was able to push through the run, never having to stop and walk. I am amazed I was able to keep my average mile time under 10 mins, including totally stopping at every aid station to drink.

Drink on the bike.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My race performance was severly limited by the bottle ejection in the first 2 minutes of the bike. It was overall a very positive experience, but had I been able to drink during the 2nd leg, I would have entered the run much fresher, and would have been able to avoid the tunnel vision and nausea.

Event comments:

The race was run extremely well. Everything other than the race, however, was not. The finish line was an absolute mess, with 3200 athletes attempting to find their loved ones in a literal sea of humanity. The transition area was a solid 30 minute walk from the finish line, with no transportation offered. Also, 79th and Riverside Park is nto the most convenient location from which to remove a bike, especially as I had to walk mine down to SBR at 58th & 7th. However, the post-race cold towel massage and abundant Cytomax was a godsend. The race was good overall, but I will think twice about entering next year, just due to the logistical hassle of schlepping all over Manhattan after a hard day's race.

Last updated: 2006-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:24 | 1640 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/63
Overall: 0/3200
Performance: Good
Suit: BlueSeventy full
Course: The water was comofortably chilly, especially considering my hour long wait while wearing my wetsuit. The current was really moving, and it was almost enough to pull you off the rope while awaiting the cannon.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:17 | 24.85 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/63
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Moderately hilly on the way out, slightly hilly on the way back in. Both portions of the out-and-back featured a tough climb or three, but coupled with some pretty impressive descents.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:50 | 06.21 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/63
Performance: Below average
Course: Clockwise run through Central Park, around the Reservoir and ending at Dead Road. Some decent hills were found in the park, but the shade was ample. A lot of other runners and bikers who were not involved in the race, who I had to side-step around a lot as they were trying to cross through our path.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-18 10:48 AM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: New York City Triathalon

2006-07-18 12:51 PM
in reply to: #485965

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: New York City Triathalon

Great job finishing after losing your fluids on the bike. I lost one of my bottles early on the course; I cannot imagine losing both so early.

You are dead on about the logistics of the race. It is really fun to race in the city, but getting from one place to the other after the race was a real hassle.

Congratulations and a great race report.

2006-12-04 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I know this is late, but I just saw you had run the NYC TRI and heard last week that 2 of my GF's here in Boston have signed up for 2007's NYC TRI.  I'll likely go to cheer them on, but since I'd not run the race before myself, I'd like to send them a link to your RR to show them a little about what to expect.  

Looks like you probably won't race it again yourself, but you did learn some good stuff about the food/hydration challenges of messed-up T1/T2 areas.  Poor guy!!

Way to hang on for a great race in a great (if frustrating!) city, -Sunny

2006-12-05 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
I loved it!!! The whole race went fine for me and I had the best pasta in my entire life at a place called "Fred's". Except for the winners, the awards presentation never happened. I never saw any age groupers and finding out your time wasn't easy either. Maybe next year these problems will be fixed.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathalon Rss Feed