General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip mri results - am I done? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-29 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Subject: Hip mri results - am I done?
The short version of the story is that I'm a 48 y/o male that had hip labrum repair and bone spur removed last June. I did my physical therapy and felt pretty good until December when my old symptoms started re-occuring (dull ache deep on left side of thigh, groin and butt). Increased activity (walking) increases discomfort, any lateral movement significantly increases discomfort. I went back to the ortho, got a hip injection with fluoroscopy. I had sigifican pain relief for about 1-1/2 weeks after injection, went back to the dr. and he sent me for an mri.

I got a copy of the mri results and here are the findings; "There is borderline narrowing of the hip joint space> There is absence of a normal apprearing anterior labrum. On the sagittal images, there is contrast extending adjacent to the anterior/superior articular surface where the labrum is expected and the appearance suggests tear. There is possibly some fibrillation and thinning of the articular cartilage at the medial joint."

It doesn't sound good to me. Ortho is sending me for a round of PT and is talking about another surgery to try to clean things up. I've accepted that my Ironman days are probably over but I would still like to run and do shorter distance races if possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2013-07-01 10:25 AM
in reply to: reid15

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Hip mri results - am I done?

Originally posted by reid15 The short version of the story is that I'm a 48 y/o male that had hip labrum repair and bone spur removed last June. I did my physical therapy and felt pretty good until December when my old symptoms started re-occuring (dull ache deep on left side of thigh, groin and butt). Increased activity (walking) increases discomfort, any lateral movement significantly increases discomfort. I went back to the ortho, got a hip injection with fluoroscopy. I had sigifican pain relief for about 1-1/2 weeks after injection, went back to the dr. and he sent me for an mri. I got a copy of the mri results and here are the findings; "There is borderline narrowing of the hip joint space> There is absence of a normal apprearing anterior labrum. On the sagittal images, there is contrast extending adjacent to the anterior/superior articular surface where the labrum is expected and the appearance suggests tear. There is possibly some fibrillation and thinning of the articular cartilage at the medial joint." It doesn't sound good to me. Ortho is sending me for a round of PT and is talking about another surgery to try to clean things up. I've accepted that my Ironman days are probably over but I would still like to run and do shorter distance races if possible. Any thoughts? Thanks

After you have had surgery and then an MRI scan later the waters are always a little muddy.  Much of that reading could be post surgical changes.  The joint narrowing is probably some early arthritis and probably due to your prior issues.  Ask your surgeon his/her opinion regarding the finding.  The PT will do you no harm and most likely will help so I think its a good idea to do.  For you keeping your core strong and the muscles around your hip strong is going to be HUGE now and forever.  I don't know that your IM days are over but you may need to re-adjust your goals...IE accept you may do some kind of run walk and it won't be painfree if you still want to play.  IF you can't race without winnning or PRing at every race then probably its off the table.  Sometimes it is a matter of shoosing how you are going to use your hip miles. Fast and short or slow and long?  Ask your doc and PT for input as well and good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip mri results - am I done? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

pulled groin again what am I doing wrong

Started by jasonball
Views: 1149 Posts: 2

2010-10-05 8:26 AM Nipper

MRI Results

Started by wildred
Views: 4447 Posts: 19

2010-09-20 8:48 AM wildred

Hip ...MRI worth it?

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 2347 Posts: 7

2010-07-08 6:54 PM bschaaf

Clicking/ popping hips and hip pain

Started by Clare44
Views: 2791 Posts: 4

2013-06-27 10:46 AM jdevito20

MRI anyone? Pages: 1 2

Started by seanaq64
Views: 2680 Posts: 27

2005-04-08 8:18 PM fcarter389
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Is surgery really the only option? What percentage of active patients have positive outcomes? Negative outcomes? How soon can I start training after surgery? What can I do?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 11, 2008
comments : 0
Is my childhood groin injury to blame for my recent pain while running? It just hurts when I'm running, not during day to day activities.

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : March 5, 2006
author : acbadger
Has anyone out there using the resistance bands insead of weights for strength training? If so, what have your results been?
date : May 16, 2005
author : Glenn
The real secret to improvement in running and bike times is variety within the routine. Endurance activity requires you to vary your training for maximum results.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
How to motivate yourslef into habit forming triathlon training goals.