General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I wrong to be irritated here.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-29 3:32 PM

User image

Bethany, Illinois
Subject: Am I wrong to be irritated here....
Entered a tri as a Clydesdale. Won the division, name gets called as the winner of the division. I go up to get my medal and I'm given the 2nd place medal. I tell the kid giving out the medals that he gave me the wrong one and then the race director says that the person who won the 40-44 AG took it so his friend whom got 2nd in the 40-44 could be bumped up to 1st. So I questioned the RD about allowing people to freely move between divisions and he simply says "tough luck." Someone called the guy out on it and he just said "oh well." I didn't want to get into a confrontation with the guy so we just got in the car and left. Am I wrong to be irritated by this or is this something that any of you have seen?

2013-06-29 3:49 PM
in reply to: cnixon83

User image

Subject: RE: Am I wrong to be irritated here....
It would bother me but there is nothing you could have done as it sounds like the RD aloud the person to switch. At lest you know what place you should have been.

Congratulation on your first place
2013-06-29 4:00 PM

User image

The 951
Screw that. You earned it, hold them to it.
2013-06-29 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
I haven't done any triathlons yet but I sure would have been pissed. I don't think that is cool at all. Not sure what you can do though.
2013-06-29 5:13 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Pro
You'd be better off moving on.  You won your division......medals are cheap.
2013-06-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

The tri you did is not USAT sanctioned but they state that use their guidelines.  You might use this to make a case for yourself.  I do not think that it is fair when you specifically register for a particular category and then are allowed to switch after the fact.  Good luck.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/events/usat/2013/08/olympic-national-championship/registration.aspx

"An athlete CAN NOT register for the event as a Clydesdale/Athena athlete and then switch over to their respective age group."

And I would think AG to Clydesdale would fall into the same type of ruling.

Edited by popsracer 2013-06-29 5:52 PM

2013-06-29 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Sure be irritated, then move on. Life is unfair at times, you didn't race to get a medal, you raced to do your best, and that day your best was good enough to win. That will outlast any medal! You know it and everyone else you care about knows it as well.
2013-06-29 9:20 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
If the tri has a facebook page, ask them about it on there. I can't believe an RD would allow this unless the others moving are his friends as well. It ludicrous to think one can move to another category just to get first place. Seriously, both the athlete moving and RD are wrong here. If the RD doesn't respond, I'd take my money elsewhere.
2013-06-29 9:42 PM
in reply to: guppie58

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Some of you are saying that he came in 1st, that's what matters and get on with it. Due to the switching of categories the OP did not end up winning his group, he was cheated out of 1st place.
I tend to obsess about these things. I'd complain and post complaints on their sites, but then I don't enjoy a lot of peace of mind.
What they can't take from you is your time, and your time must have been damn good! That really is what counts.
2013-06-29 9:51 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Pro

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Some of you are saying that he came in 1st, that's what matters and get on with it. Due to the switching of categories the OP did not end up winning his group, he was cheated out of 1st place. I tend to obsess about these things. I'd complain and post complaints on their sites, but then I don't enjoy a lot of peace of mind. What they can't take from you is your time, and your time must have been damn good! That really is what counts.

Which is why my advice is the opposite of yours.  I tend to enjoy great peace of mind......there is no point in getting worked up over it....sometimes life is not fair....move on.

2013-06-29 10:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

If were just talking about a medal here (insert Allen Iverson rant here and replace "practice" with "medal"), then save your energy for training and move on.  Keep working on getting faster to the point where you win so many medals you just throw them in a drawer and never look at them again.

2013-06-30 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
NO not at all I probably would be as well , I do agree that if the guy didn't enter as a clydsdale then he shouldn't have been able to switch after the fact and the race director shouldn't have allowed it either, but at the end of the day it's really not worth getting to upset about you finished you did very well give youself a big pat on the back and move on, although I would be looking to see If I could kick his butt at the next race if he was entered again especially if he didn't out time you by a huge, huge margine. Revenge is sweet...use it as motivation.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-06-30 7:29 AM
2013-06-30 8:05 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Expert

I'd be annoyed. I would write a letter to the RD stating your case. Send it. 

If he hears from someone after the fact, and the letter is thoughtful and straightforward, he might think twice about allowing something like that in the future. 

then.. move on. 

2013-06-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

You're not wrong to be irritated, but it is what it is.
Years ago I was the first and only finisher in my category in a 33 kilometer ski loppet. When my category was skipped over at the awards I asked why and was told, in an irritable tone of voice, "There has to be at least 3 to make a category and you were the only one." As if it were somehow my fault that no other women my age entered the race that day. Six months later I got the medal in the mail with no explanation. It left a sour taste in my mouth and I vowed never to enter that particular loppet again.
2013-06-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: Seabeast

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'd write it into my race report just to let others know what they might experience.
2013-06-30 9:25 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Jason N

If were just talking about a medal here (insert Allen Iverson rant here and replace "practice" with "medal"), then save your energy for training and move on.  Keep working on getting faster to the point where you win so many medals you just throw them in a drawer and never look at them again.

Awesome. +1.

2013-06-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Some of you are saying that he came in 1st, that's what matters and get on with it. Due to the switching of categories the OP did not end up winning his group, he was cheated out of 1st place. I tend to obsess about these things. I'd complain and post complaints on their sites, but then I don't enjoy a lot of peace of mind. What they can't take from you is your time, and your time must have been damn good! That really is what counts.

Which is why my advice is the opposite of yours.  I tend to enjoy great peace of mind......there is no point in getting worked up over it....sometimes life is not fair....move on.

agreed. I won my AG for Sprint Provincials they mailed the wrong medal I know I won, the results say I won and it's on my race resume. Medals dont mean much to me.
2013-07-01 10:44 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Some of you are acting like it takes a lot of energy to complain. One can complain and still have peace of mind. It's rather simple.
2013-07-01 11:14 AM

User image

You have every right to be irritated because obviously you are! It happens quite often that awards are given out incorrectly at the ceremony - I suppose because people are in a rush to get out of there (?) and there is not time to iron out all the glitches but your case sounds like blatant re-writing the rules after the fact. You should definitely write to the RD, just to get your point on paper and get it out of your system.

And yes, you may one day win so many medals that you throw them away but I'm getting to be an old lady and I hold on to mine quite proudly.

Patti
2013-07-01 12:33 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

I'd be irritated as well, for a moment, then as others have said, move on.
2013-07-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Forget it and move on. The first time I ever won my AG the announcer got confused and read the winners 1st-3rd instead of 3rd -1st. The volunteer handing out medals didn't know either and gave me the 3rd place medal. I didn't figure out until I got home and looked at the official results that I had actually been first.

In the end, who cares? There are too many categories in triathlon as it is.

2013-07-01 12:57 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I'd be pissed.

I think some of you are missing the point. It's not that he got the wrong medal. It's that he was moved into 2nd place so that someone who did not even register as a clyde could take the first slot.

I don't know the race, but that could mean that he also just lost a qualifying spot.

While I probably wouldn't have done anything myself, I'd still be really annoyed. I agree that a letter to the RD or a post on their facebook page (if they have one) is warranted.
2013-07-01 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Couple things here:
First, I wouldnt do this race again. If its that poorly organized that the RD would allow people to change categories after the results are in, it makes me wonder what else they're doing suspect. Personally, thats why I will only do USAT races. So what if it costs $10 more per race. There's a level of professionalism and accountability that follows USAT events. (I gathered this was non sanctioned based on a previous post)

Second - Im a big proponent of racing in the right category. If the guy who won could have qualified for clyde - then (IMO) he shouldve raced clyde and not AG. In short, if he had raced in the 'right' category, then you wouldve come in second regardless. So Im not sure your gripe is here. Basically a guy who shouldve been in your category beat you. So what if that guy had registered Clyde form the start? Since he also wouldve won the AG, would you then be complaining about the 'inshape clyde' taking away your medal? (common argument from years past)

And finally: Did you have a good time? Did you feel like you accomplished something? If so, then great job. I hope a $1 medal in a unofficial category didnt tarnish your experience (C/A categories are not official categories and USAT will post your results according to your AG - in other words, using this scenario, this guy not only would have won clyde, but also be listed as the winner of AG in the eyes of USAT)

So no, you shouldnt be irritated that you didnt get a medal; be irritated at the lack of professionalism from the RD.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2013-07-01 1:01 PM
2013-07-01 1:05 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Champion
Alabama

So what is the point of declaring a division?  Just wait till the race is over and find out where you place the highest and then declare.

Congrats on the win!

I placed 3rd in the clyde division of the first tri I ever did in 1998.  It was the only time I ever placed in any race in my life.  This was a sprint tri and for that year they clyde division was 225+.  There were only 5 of us in the division so 3rd place was MOP.  :-)  The next year they dropped the clyde to 210 and I've been BOP ever since. 

2013-07-01 1:10 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GLC1968 I'd be pissed. I think some of you are missing the point. It's not that he got the wrong medal. It's that he was moved into 2nd place so that someone who did not even register as a clyde could take the first slot. I don't know the race, but that could mean that he also just lost a qualifying spot. While I probably wouldn't have done anything myself, I'd still be really annoyed. I agree that a letter to the RD or a post on their facebook page (if they have one) is warranted.

No.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I wrong to be irritated here.... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Heart rate question - am i doing it wrong?

Started by salma
Views: 1025 Posts: 7

2006-01-31 4:50 PM Global

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 991 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2926 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1890 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci

HR on Run...Am I doing something wrong?

Started by swgtri
Views: 1511 Posts: 9

2005-02-24 10:51 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!