General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breathing problems after 5+ hr workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-29 6:12 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Breathing problems after 5+ hr workouts
So after I've done some extra long workouts, or an IM race, I experience a breathing issue where it feels difficult to take a deep breath, and when I do I cough a lot. Is this sports induced asthma? My doctor and sister who is a nurse gave me what I felt like was a cop out answer by saying "well Jamie, you ARE training for an Ironman! DUH!" I sorta refuse to accept that as an answer though. I get it, 5 hours is a long time to be stressing the body, and anybody will feel tired and "winded" by the end of it. But has anyone else had symptoms like that? Is an inhaler the answer? I never cough unless it's very long biking or running.
Thanks!

2013-06-29 7:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Breathing problems after 5+ hr workouts
Never had that problem but today I drank nothing but gatoraid. It was fine until after hour 3 or so and I started making a lot of mucus. I did cough a little , and had a running nose for 5 hours since it was "cool" (80). On the run I had a gut bomb and could feel that gatoraid. I went to the water fountain and downed down water and all was well 5 minutes later. What''s your drink situation like? Also are you biking/running at a lake or some place where you normally don't visit? How long does it takes for you to start to cough and have issues breathing? Right away or always after 5 hours? Hopefully someone else can chime in after you give some more details.

Edited by Blastman 2013-06-29 7:35 PM
2013-06-29 7:36 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Drinking is normal, I stay well hydrated without overdoing it. It's always after a long time, regardless of where I'm training, so I don't think it has anything to do with pollen
2013-07-01 7:24 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

there is exercise induced asthma - I used to have issues with it when I was growing up - now i'm pretty much grown out of it, but it could be an issue - honestly, if my doctor told me that, I'd be looking for a new one - because if he (?) dismisses a complaint like that without trying to find the root cause, then what if you have other issues later on that could have been mitigated. if you don't want to find a new one - ask him for a referral (if you need one for your insurance) to a pulmonary person
2013-07-01 9:03 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Spokane
After a 5 hour workout i would have troubles breathing too, no coughing but when i tried to take a deep breath in i couldn't. I would be stuck doing short quick breaths for a couple hours till it returned to normal.
2013-07-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Same issue. Went to Moab 2 months ago and did a 1.2 mi swim, then a 5 hr ride, then started running and couldn't breathe; felt like someone was standing on my chest. (btw I live in CO, so altitude wasn't the problem). had to go to an urgent care to get a breathing treatment. after 30 seconds on albuterol, i was perfectly fine. docs were pretty puzzled as well, they thought i was having a heart attack... which after a trip to the ER, found out that was bs, a crapload of wasted money at the drs office, and a really worried wife. i plan on just watching it during IM and putting an albuterol treatment in my bike bag and will just carry it with me throughout the day. if I need it, i'll stop, rest, and continue to move on with the day. If anyone else hears of something else, I'm truly interested. Good luck!

2013-07-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: TriSean99

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Could be EIA but unusual presentation.  Go to your own doc and ask to get checekd by a pulmonogist
2013-07-05 2:27 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by trijamie

So after I've done some extra long workouts, or an IM race, I experience a breathing issue where it feels difficult to take a deep breath, and when I do I cough a lot. Is this sports induced asthma? My doctor and sister who is a nurse gave me what I felt like was a cop out answer by saying "well Jamie, you ARE training for an Ironman! DUH!" I sorta refuse to accept that as an answer though. I get it, 5 hours is a long time to be stressing the body, and anybody will feel tired and "winded" by the end of it. But has anyone else had symptoms like that? Is an inhaler the answer? I never cough unless it's very long biking or running.
Thanks!

Hi Jamie

I am Carlo.

I am new here and i am use to long workouts for Full Marathons and century bike rides, by profession i have been working years as a Respiratory Therapist. We have patients like who are after long workout or activities lands at ER either exercise induced asthma or Electrolyte deficiency. There are millions of causes of Asthma.One of them is Exercise or any strenuous activity. What happens with asthma is your airways swell therefore the pathways of your air for gas exchange is limited. Your symptoms will be you start hyperventilating more trying to get as much air inside your lungs. You will hear yourself wheezing which is caused by the difficulty of the air to pass the airways at worst you will feel panic with a drowning feeling.An immediate remedy for asthma is an inhaler with a generic name Albuterol(Proventil,Ventolin) or Levalbuterol(Xopenex), its a bronchodilator that opens your airways so you can breathe better. An inhalaer is a good emergency remedy , but if your far too long on your strenuous activity the inhalaer is not enough you need a nebulizer with inhaler meds of albuterol or Levalbuterol delivered by aerosol masks ( masks than can deliver gas meds straight to your lungs) it may even take an hour long treatment. If you exeperience your having a hard time breathing to the point of panic please dont risk it and signal SAG team so you can be brought to the medical tent for immediate nebulizer meds treatment.
I have been a volunteer at IMTX medical team under our hospital and this happens all the time.

I suggest get with your doctor to order you a consult for a Pulmonologist (Lung doctor) to order a stress test to confirm if you have Exercise Induce Asthma. They will most probably run you through the threadmill monitoring your heart and vitals to the point you experience shortness of breath, They will get all your bloodwork, the doctor will be accessible and someone like will watch over you for emergency measures.

Goodluck to your workouts and note everytime you experience shortness of breath either in an event or workout.History is very essential. If you do have exercise induce asthma its best to know your limits. I have told 15 yo kids 6'0" playing basketball straight forward "Sorry man just to be honest it wont be the hoops has to be books."

Goodluck!!! and stay Healthy!!!

2013-07-05 2:37 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Wow, awesome answer! Thanks so much Carlo, this is exactly the kind of response I was hoping I'd get when I decided to post this issue in the forums. I will look into your suggestions and reply back on this post as I eventually find out more. Thanks again!

-Jamie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breathing problems after 5+ hr workouts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training

Started by Tracker09
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2013-04-17 2:32 PM Tracker09

Thoughts on run workouts before swimming workouts

Started by tmoran80
Views: 7097 Posts: 10

2012-04-11 9:04 AM tmoran80

WETSUIT RESTRICTING BREATHING??????

Started by dabeachbums5
Views: 6718 Posts: 13

2019-05-07 11:23 AM guguwa

IMKY Math Problem

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1622 Posts: 11

2008-04-22 1:06 PM Rogillio

Planning problems for next year...need HELP!

Started by timbarcz
Views: 1839 Posts: 10

2004-10-20 5:47 PM yaqui
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : February 4, 2011
comments : 1
Drills and suggestions to make bilateral breathing seem effortless

date : March 30, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
The focus this month will be on decreasing stroke count and breathing on your weaker side. We’re getting into some pretty advanced-level workouts.
date : October 11, 2007
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : July 11, 2007
This month, we’re continuing drills but shifting to a bit more swimming. The sets are similar to last month with the extra yardage. The focus will be on breathing.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : October 2, 2005
Here are the top 5 challenges in learning how to breathe in freestyle, along with the remedies on how to get over theme. Includes a 2250yard/meter workout.