General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you stop your garmin during your long run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-29 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: do you stop your garmin during your long run?
When you go for a long run and have to take a stop for the restroom, traffice or to fill up your camelbak, etc do you stop your garmin? I know the ticker keeps going during the race if you have to stop, but I'm curious what others do. Just wandering how much of an effect stopping for a few minutes during your training will have on race performance.

Edited by SEADOCHA 2013-06-29 7:19 PM

2013-06-29 7:28 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Subject: RE: do you stop your garmin during your long run?
I do not. I count that as my aid station time. For the bike though, since my bike computer stops automatically when it sees no cadence and speed after a few seconds, I just say screw it and get my total moving time. Not the best but at least I few a few extra miles in. As for running, I that's my strong suit, so I guess that's why I try to be more accurate on that. It's a double standard I know, but I tend to walk through aid stations on marathons while for HIM/IM, you don't really stop on the bike. You just do a rolling refuel.
2013-06-29 8:51 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Yes I stop my watch. I do all my runs on time not mileage. So I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't stop it. If I'm scheduled to run 60 min I want to run 60min not 57min because I had to stop and pee.
2013-06-30 12:14 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Originally posted by EKHYes I stop my watch. I do all my runs on time not mileage. So I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't stop it. If I'm scheduled to run 60 min I want to run 60min not 57min because I had to stop and pee.
This
2013-06-30 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
My garmin automatically stops when I do. that said, my "breaks" are minimal. I hit one stoplight on the way to the trail, one on the way back. If I have to refill, I stop in at home to grab two already mixed bottles to replace the ones I have with me (only if I'm going 25+ km and it is hot out.)
2013-06-30 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Long stops yes...like someone else said...coach told me to run for 1.5 hours, not 1:15 plus breaks.  So if I make a bathroom stop, yeah, I stop the watch.

Short stops?  Nope.  If I'm waiting less than a minute at a stop light or whatever...I just don't worry about that.

2013-06-30 2:44 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by SEADOCHA Just wandering how much of an effect stopping for a few minutes during your training will have on race performance.

From a physiological standpoint, I do not think it matters.  Your overall cumulative training workload is what is important and stopping to go to the bathroom during a training run isn't going to change much come race day.  I try not to stop on my long runs and very rarely do.  For me, it's a mental toughness thing.  I feel like I am training my mind to keep going even when I am very tired or in discomfort.  It would just be too easy to walk sometimes so I fight the urge.

If I have to stop for a light or fill a water bottle I do stop my watch.  I do it so I look faster than I really am in my logs.Laughing

2013-06-30 9:25 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by EKHYes I stop my watch. I do all my runs on time not mileage. So I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't stop it. If I'm scheduled to run 60 min I want to run 60min not 57min because I had to stop and pee.
This

x3.  I set my garmin to autopause anytime the pace goes over 13 mm.

It doesn't really matter though.  You improve your run fitness by running, running more, and running at a higher intensity.  If you take a 2-3 minute water break every 2 miles...it just means that you'll probably run a little bit quicker while you're running compared to if you didn't stop at all...or maybe allows you to run a little bit farther before you get tired.  At the end of the day, the training stress you create is likely about the same.

2013-07-05 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Clara, UT
Yes so I know what my REAL pace is.
2013-07-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by jldicarlo

Long stops yes...like someone else said...coach told me to run for 1.5 hours, not 1:15 plus breaks.  So if I make a bathroom stop, yeah, I stop the watch.

Short stops?  Nope.  If I'm waiting less than a minute at a stop light or whatever...I just don't worry about that.

This is me too.
2013-07-09 1:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Mine was always on autopause, but when I think about it, I'd should have prolly just let it run. That gives one an greater understanding of "how long" it takes go a certain distance. Nothing "autopauses" during a race. 

I always trained based on mileage not time. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-07-09 1:13 PM

2013-07-09 2:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChrisM
This

x3.  I set my garmin to autopause anytime the pace goes over 13 mm.

It doesn't really matter though.  You improve your run fitness by running, running more, and running at a higher intensity.  If you take a 2-3 minute water break every 2 miles...it just means that you'll probably run a little bit quicker while you're running compared to if you didn't stop at all...or maybe allows you to run a little bit farther before you get tired.  At the end of the day, the training stress you create is likely about the same.

I stop it too. I want to see what's going on while I'm working out. Making sure that I'm working at an appropriate level for the desired time. Most of the time, the little breaks at a light or intersection mean next to nothing towards training adaptations as they're just getting the training time in. For harder efforts or times when the interruptions would mess with a set or workout, I try to make the route so that there aren't any interruptions in it. Or as few as I can.

2013-07-09 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4791559

User image

If I'm running for time yes. If I'm going for distance, no.
2013-07-10 11:28 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

If I'm doing speedwork, then I lap everything of consequence (intervals and the rest periods between), so it doesn't matter if I stop for a minute during the warmup or cooldown runs, as the few seconds one way or another don't affect the workout.  For distance, I let it run and look at the overall pace.

To me, at least, I think the overall pace including any stops is a better indicator of what one actually ran.  Again, for me, if I stop for even a few tens of seconds, my HR comes waaaay down and I can pick up the pace considerably.  Those little breaks "count" for me.

I saw this over the last couple months on some long runs where I did 8x9' Z4 intervals with one minute walk breaks between (not even stopping altogether).  I'd never done that kind of workout before (always at least jogged b/w intervals) and was shocked at how much greater the recovery is by walking at half the jog pace than a minute of very light jog. I usually finish that workout with 30-60' of Z2 or Z3, and I notice the difference then, for sure!

So, if I'm getting a recovery in the middle of the run, I count that against my overall time (for instance, during the interval workout above I also look at my overall average pace during each interval - that's a fun mindgame on the last couple!!!).

While I do usualy target running for a set time, I usually pick a course that gets me close to that time and go.  If I take a bit longer overall, like a couple minutes for lights/water bottle refills, it doesn't change the overall time that much.  I guess if I was on a treadmill, or doing VERY short laps where I could just quit at the specified total time, then it would change the workout.  However, since I usually pick a course of appropriate length for the target time, I just run.

And run and run and run...  Which is what helps me more anyway.  Laughing  That said, Strava tells no lies (unless you're in a paceline with a tailwind on the bike).  Tongue out

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you stop your garmin during your long run? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stop and have breakfast in T1?

Started by mrcurtain
Views: 2977 Posts: 25

2010-01-19 1:19 PM LazyMarathoner

IMKY Spectator Stop

Started by king03
Views: 772 Posts: 3

2008-08-26 9:17 AM JeepFleeb

IMKY water stops?

Started by Steve-
Views: 873 Posts: 5

2008-07-22 8:26 AM Steve-

When to stop eating/drinking on the bike

Started by PollyC
Views: 1972 Posts: 20

2008-05-16 6:13 PM Gaarryy

STOP Changing the Bike Course...

Started by G8RLA94
Views: 875 Posts: 4

2005-09-30 8:47 PM G8RLA94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.