General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike power Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-30 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Subject: Bike power
Has anyone had great success increasing bike power? Please share your ideas and experience. Specifically looking to race a very hilly iron distance race and will need more power. For example I am good on the front gaps. Slow in speed but alright on endurance etc. Hogpen is my nemesis. I have weight to loose but not much. Thanks in advance.

Edited by kstater39 2013-06-30 10:23 PM

2013-07-01 5:31 AM
in reply to: kstater39

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Bike power
What most people fail to recognize is the appropriate use of power, especially when climbing. Yes, in the end it's about power to weight ratio, but if you just hammer up the hills, you will have a crappy run, I promise you.

Learn to relax your quads when you climb and engage your core as well.

Find out what your 5' and 20' power are and use those numbers to guide your training.

My personal opinion: HogPen does nothing for your training. It's a useless gap in regards to fitness. But that's just my personal opinion.
2013-07-01 6:24 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

If you want more power, I would suggest a little weight room work.   I do not mean big weight, but high rep squats and lunges.   My best roadie season was prepped with a good dose of weight room work.   In addition, work the core from hips to abs like never before.  Stable core will help more than you think with power output over a long period of time.

I am not a coach, but I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night.  Just my disclaimer as everyone has an opinion.

2013-07-01 8:09 AM
in reply to: thecaptin

User image

Master
I agree about the core helping power. I added daily pushups to my workouts this winter to keep my core strong while I was not swimming and was pleased to note that it seems to have helped on the bike too.

Also, my bike power (and endurance) have improved with a lot of trainer workouts. I found that the convenient spin classes were compromised by high heat in the room so I was overcooking before my legs got a good workout and also, I was phoning it in on my road rides. Some good trainer workouts are the "unpleasant" interval workouts on Trainerroad, Sufferfest, or the Endurance Nation plan. And, adding as many hills as possible on my outdoor rides (Mountain Park loops!).
2013-07-01 9:07 AM
in reply to: Mrs. brown_dog_us

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
thanks guys. Dan you make me very happy saying Hogpen is useless. I feel that way each time. I do try to stay in a hr range when i ride the gaps now. In the past i blew up trying to ride the hills like we do in south georgia on a hill - power through it. However, I just feel like my power to wt ratio needs to be up more. I have been on a vacation from training but back in the swing of things now. I quess my main question was looking at types of interval workouts that people had the most success with. I love the gym and have gotten back in more this block of training. Looking at the profile of my ultimate goal race it looks like the first 30 miles ish has a 4500ft+ elevation gain that is steady. I will need to be stronger than I am now to be realistic about racing that. 2014 due to many reasons may be the year i throw my name in the hat if I feel like it is a realistic goal after the Great Floridian in October.
2013-07-02 7:39 AM
in reply to: kstater39

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I've had success increasing power and lowering weight at the same time. Intervals are your friend. 2x20 @ 95-100% FTP and 3x15 @ 95-100% FTP will do wonders.

I only get 3-4 rides a week so I don't ride easy. Even my long rides (3 hrs) are at least 80% FTP

I've gone from 230W FTP to 270 and lost 15 lbs in the process. Needless to say quite the increase in speed

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike power Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training With Power

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 1967 Posts: 12

2010-12-03 2:07 PM phatknot

Coggins and Allen talking power meters at Roswell Bikes

Started by brown_dog_us
Views: 1205 Posts: 8

2010-11-16 10:03 PM Mc Q

Swim Power In The Hips?

Started by thecaptin
Views: 1392 Posts: 13

2010-05-08 3:57 PM thecaptin

Free Power Bar Sample

Started by brown_dog_us
Views: 1334 Posts: 6

2010-05-17 4:56 AM brown_dog_us

Give me power or give me (slow) death?

Started by phatknot
Views: 1158 Posts: 7

2009-01-24 2:56 PM Reno8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : March 4, 2009
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.