General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New England Trifest - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fairlee, Vermont
United States
Sun MultiSport Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 43s
Overall Rank = 16/229
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a hotel one lake away with whole family (tri-tourism, or more to the point, me trying to get my family to LOVE going to races). Got up 20' before alarm went off, had an instant coffee, bagel and almond butter about 2.5 hours before the race - in the bathroom so I wouldn't wake anyone up! Nibbled a fig newton in transition and sipped a bottle of powerdrinkstuff waiting for my wave (7th wave) to go off.
Event warmup:

Helped push a car out of the mud (and got splatted with a ton of mud in the doing - made it interesting getting my wetsuit on!). Swam about 250-300m while the earlier waves went off.
Swim
  • 24m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty happy with this one. Was concerned about L shoulder, as it hurt from Friday's swim, but actually felt BETTER after swimming (?). Got on feet about 200m into the swim and stuck with him through the turn back in. Then we got passed and I grabbed his feet for half the swim in to shore. Then I turned it up and passed. Minimal kicking, nice and controlled pace and breathing. Came out fresh (although I was definitely working).

Happy with it, for sure, as a "non-fish."
What would you do differently?:

Not much. My goal this race was to find some faster feet at the start and try drafting. That worked out. Might have been able to go faster, but not by much and not without a WHOLE lot more work on my part.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Suit stuck for about 3 seconds (one extra good tug) on the chip, but that and 3 shots at buckling my helmet were the only real glitches - maybe 5-10 seconds lost. Overall happy with this one. Did the rubber band shoe thing again and that worked well (no flying mount, but shoes on the bike).

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 21s
  • 28 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Had no idea how to pace this one, as it was my first Oly. Decided to keep the HR about 5 bpm below threshold, and let it drift about 3-5 beats into threshold on the steeper parts. More or less did that, but averaged 151 (so about 8 bpm below start of Z4) with the downhills (at 8% grade, I didn't have gears to push so just tucked and recovered - and ZOOMED. Wicked fun). Took 1.3 bottles of powerdrinkstuff and two GUs (20' and 1 hour). Worked about right.

I went at about the right pace. My run was only a couple minutes off my open 10k, so that felt right. Not sure how much more to dial it back for the HIM, though... Trial and error!

The one guy who was strong, but passing on the right and drafting (maroon) cramped up terribly on the run. Karmic relief... Did trade the lead with one fellow in a USA kit - super nice and good competition to push each other (and he did it all legally, which was a nice contrast to draft-boy). Not sure if the people I passed were ticked that I said g'morning or hello - was truly just being friendly and I always do that, but got some strange looks and wondered if they thought I was being snarky (wasn't, just sayin' hey as usual). :)

Not much. Might try having one easier gear (ran a 25, might try 28 for Tman?) on a really hilly course, as some of the steeps put me a few beats into threshold HR, but not sure.

That and ride more!
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Knew exactly where my spot was, but ran past it twice! Duh. Cost maybe 15" but felt like an eternity! Used pre-tied shoes with body glide on the tongue/heel cup as one stuck last time, and that worked very well.

Maybe a big Mylar balloon tied to my transition spot?!?
Run
  • 43m 53s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

This was where the RACE happened for me. Not the event, but the real race. Coming out of T2 a fellow in my AG passed me and got about 200m on me. I know (from training - imagine that!) it takes 1-1.5 miles for my legs to come back under me, so I kept him in view. He stayed at 200m from mile 0.5 to 1.5. By the turn, he was ~125m ahead and looking a bit warm. :) I was feeling stronger as I went and decided I was going for it.

I didn't know if I was 5th or 50th, but I was going to finish one spot higher or roast in the trying. Reeled him in to ~25m by mile 4, then ran right behind him for a quarter mile to see if that would pressure him to pick it up (he knew I was there, as he'd passed me and saw me at the turn). He bumped up a little, but not much, so I thought he was redlining. I picked a sunny, hot hill and dropped the hammer.

My absolute best, and most fun, races are when I get challenged by someone over the last mile or so, but I think the heat had unfortunately gotten to him, and he couldn't go with me, so I held a steady pace into the finish. This was different in that he challenged me from the start rather than at the end. A really fun run and GREAT learning experience (knowing when your legs start to work and pacing accordingly).

I wasn't sure I'd be able to make up any time during those first couple miles, but it was good not to try to stay with him at first and run my race. Cheered for, congratulated and thanked him when he came over the line...

Bike more. I noticed tightness in my R quad at mile 5.9, and I think it was from the bike (hills). Didn't cramp, and eased off juuuuust a bit as there was no one close behind me or in front to go after. However, it did get in my head about the upcoming HIM. My run volume feels right, but I want to push the bike mileage up a bit in the next couple months.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold water to drink and wear, a short ice bath (OUCH), sit in the shade for 2-3 minutes and eat a banana, then jog around to the finish chute and cheer for people. Saw a few friends and chatted with them whilst cheering and such, too. Awesome day, great race, super-endorphin-dopamine fest!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always, training more would help. And so would picking my parents better! I was very happy with my times and the result of those times, but more work on the bike would help, I think (and the run and the swim).

Event comments:

Awesome venue. Great volunteers, and a well run show. Nice folks IN the race. Family had a blast during the long weekend at a lake in VT - what's not to love?

Last updated: 2013-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 20/229
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU T3
Course: One rectangular lap out and back. I think the time included the quarter mile run (jog, actually, as it was across the road and a rocky path), so my pace was more what I'd hoped for than what shows.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:21 | 28 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 15/229
Wind: Little
Course: Stunningly beautiful. Two big hills and many rollers. I was more worried about the descents (OK, and a little about the BIG hill, but it wasn't that different from a training hill I ride all the time), but the roads were dry and clear. A few rough patches, but they were well marked and warned.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:53 | 06.2 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 26/229
Course: Out and back with rollers, a couple of HOT spots (sun, steam, no breeze somehow). I really liked this course - hills let you RACE. Some local d-bag STOLE all the gels, fruits, cups etc. the night before, so they were scrambling to set up water stops. They got them set up just as I got to each - and then would see the truck leapfrog me to the next one. Was wondering what was up until they announced after the race. People suck sometimes, but the race volunteers ROCKED on this one. They did a great job recovering from this.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-01 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: New England Trifest - Olympic Course

2013-07-01 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4792362

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: New England Trifest - Olympic Course
Congratulations on an awesome race!This was my favourite part. " I picked a sunny, hot hill and dropped the hammer. "
2013-07-01 7:45 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Dang, Matt - now I think I need one of those shoulder injuries if it allows me to swim so fast!

I agree with Arend - that is just some great tactical racing all around. Congratulations on the AG podium spot in you very first OLY - that is a sure sign if good things coming in your HIM.

2013-07-01 9:28 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Matt, congrats on a terrific race. Glad to see the shoulder came around. Sounds like you executed just perfectly.
2013-07-01 9:50 AM

Master
Northern IL
Nice job Matt!
2013-07-01 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Fantastic job. I loved the play by play of your run. That's my kind of race, too. Congratulations.

2013-07-01 11:18 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Payson, AZ
Awesome job on your first Oly.  Sure glad that shoulder worked itself out
2013-07-01 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Nice race!  Glad to hear your shoulder issue seemed to clear itself up.  It also seems that you picked your parents pretty well -- I'd be thrilled with splits like those!
2013-07-01 3:46 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very well executed. And it sounds like you had fun which is the most important thing

Based on this and the race rehearsal you did I think you are very close to zeroing in on your targets for your HIM. FWIW your bike HR seems very close to mine for both the Oly and HIM. Drop me a line if you want to compare notes

Congratulations
2013-07-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
Ontario
Great race and nice race report. Awesome job on your first Oly, and I love how you paced the run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

Started by egenchrt320
Views: 1400 Posts: 2

2012-08-28 1:44 PM Socks

Started by Slim50
Views: 1130 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 4:31 PM Slim50

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 2368 Posts: 10

2012-08-31 2:08 PM Socks

Started by tigers75
Views: 1544 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:31 AM Socks

Started by c2fd
Views: 1400 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:33 AM Socks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.