General Discussion Race Reports! » Norfolk Family YMCA Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Norfolk Family YMCA Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Norfolk, Nebraska
United States
Norfolk Family YMCA
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 52s
Overall Rank = 2/69
Age Group = M 35-44
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 4:00 AM. Wanted to get in a decent breakfast, coffee, and morning dump. Drive to Norfolk took about 90 minutes. Absolutely beautiful morning.
Event warmup:

Got to transation right when it opened. Joel secured the best spot, I was right next to him. Best location was next to Bike In and Bike Out entryway. After I got everything set, stopped by the bathroom one more time, then did some light jogging, dynamic stretching, took the bike out for just a quick spin making sure I was in the right gear and headed to the warmup pool for some laps.
Swim
  • 05m 2s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Snake swim. Down and back in same lane and cross under the rope.

Total time includes about 1 min run from end of swim to beginning of T1. Actual time swimming was 4:02 so I was fairly happy about that. We seeded ourselves based on swim times. I submitted a time of 4:15 and almost caught the person in front of me. Most of the swimmers in this first 20 or so people where spread out pretty good. Passed the person in front of me on the run to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Flip turn I think. My first flip was a disaster. Flipped to early. Then I just did open turns the rest of the way. The water was really warm.
Transition 1
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

I was sprinting from the exit of the pool, out the door of the YMCA and on the grass field. Got to my bike fast. Glasses on. Helmet on. Bike off rack and sprinted through the T1 exit. I was tied with Joel for the Fastest transition time, although he says he got me by .10 seconds.... Had the bike in the right gear. Got my foot in the first shoe right away. Second took some screwing around but eventyally got it done. Up to speed nicely.

Practice getting feet into shoes more. Probalby should do this with we feet too.
Bike
  • 26m 8s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Fastest overall bike split!!!! Can't be unhappy about that. We had a steady 10 mile wind into our faces for the first half of the race. I think it did gust to 15 or so too. I felt very strong on the bike averaging over 20 mph into the wind. Made good turns and at the turnaround felt like I had rockets propelling me forward. Passed a ton of the slower start swimmers and also passed the guy that was really cocky about how good of a swim he was going to have. I could not see my bike computer though so I have no idea how fast I was clipping along on the return trip. Maybe 28 mph?? Good bike and felt great when done.

Reposition Bike computer to see display in aero. Push harder on the bike. It was only 10 miles and I should have been red lined the whole time. Next time where HRM too.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

I still run with socks. I think this cost me the overall race time though. The guy in first beat me by 8 seconds and his t2 was 14 seconds faster than mine. UGH.

However, this was still a great T2 for me. No issues. Socks and shoes went on great. Took off with my race belt in hand and got out of T2 fast. Had a little trouble clipping my race belt, but I was a moron and tried to do it behind my back.

debate the running in socks issue. Right now, I don't want to deal with the blisters that happen until feet are used to it.

Clip race belt together in front and rotate number around to the front after done. Otherwise, good T2
Run
  • 16m 27s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

6:30 pace for me is great! I know it was a short sprint, but I was very happy with this effort. In fact, I probably could have pushed harder towards the end. I really had no idea how fast I was going on the run. My left calf had a minor twinge cramp thing when I first took off running, but that went away quickly.

Run faster. This also cost me the first overall... ugh.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, ate some fruit, showered, and took off to kid's baseball games back in Sioux City.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Good event

Event comments:

This was the 28th running of the Norfolk Triathlon. It's a short distance race but I thought they were very organized and did a great job with communication. If this works into my schedule, I may have it on as a permanent addition to the calander. Great job!!!!

Last updated: 2013-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:02 | 300 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 4/69
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: 300 yard snake swim in an indoor lap pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:32
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:08 | 10 miles | 22.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 1/69
No HRM for this event. I just took my old Ironman Timex watch.
Wind: Some
Course: L shaped out and back. Some minor hills, but nothing to really deal with. Smooth roads. In town for the first mile, then county roads for the majority.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:27 | 02.5 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 7/69
No HRM during the run.
Course: Flat course. Some grass at the start and finish, but it was mowed down, easy to follow and flat. Streets and sidwalks until the turnaround. Good shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-01 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Norfolk Family YMCA Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Norfolk Family YMCA Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Norfolk Family YMCA Triathlon

Started by justintime841
Views: 930 Posts: 1

2009-12-02 5:30 PM justintime841

Started by fifthcircle
Views: 1180 Posts: 1

2009-06-08 9:36 AM fifthcircle

Started by kklems
Views: 1124 Posts: 1

2009-06-08 12:50 AM kklems

Started by csnowardt
Views: 1197 Posts: 1

2008-11-28 9:25 AM csnowardt

Started by slowone
Views: 1167 Posts: 1

2008-06-16 8:40 PM slowone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.